Showing results 1 to 25 of 32
Search took 0.04 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Old Central
Forum: London Transport August 5th 10, 08:28 AM
Replies: 23
Posted By Old Central
How far from Olympic stadium to Wimbledon?

Hi Franklin,

I live in the shadow of the Civic Centre near Morden. You can PM me
and I will see what I can find if that helps. I have used the
references at the Civic Centre extensively so know my...
Forum: London Transport July 30th 10, 03:07 PM
Replies: 3
Posted By Old Central
Potters Bar Inquest verdict - BBC News

BBC saying this verdict may affect maintenance regimes - what, eight
years later?

IIRC wasn't the Greyrigg derailment a similar problem?

Does anyone know how track...
Forum: London Transport July 29th 10, 08:28 AM
Replies: 3
Posted By Old Central
Crossrail - are the peasants revolting?

There appears to be a bit of dissent in the ranks. Anyone got...
Forum: London Transport May 27th 10, 08:36 AM
Replies: 39
Posted By Old Central
Post office railway reuse

Why didn't they just widen the tunnels and reuse them for Crossrail,
instead of digging hugely expensive new ones?

I will ignore the geometric aspects of the design of a low speed
passenger less...
Forum: London Transport May 5th 10, 01:20 PM
Replies: 19
Posted By Old Central
Waterloo Eurostar platforms and "The Railway Children"

That brings IN money for the railway. *It's not like it's an either/or
choice!

The figures quoted for mothballing are breathtaking. There again I
suspect maintaining a guard force on a...
Forum: London Transport January 18th 10, 09:39 AM
Replies: 19
Posted By Old Central
Street Repairs

Indeed. All the motorway box remnants (M41 and A102(M)) were demoted some
time ago. Was it in preparation for the Mayor and GLA or well before then?

Not sure of the date of those but I was...
Forum: London Transport February 28th 08, 12:23 PM
Replies: 30
Posted By Old Central
Mayoral Manifesto from London Travel Watch

Thanks John, obviously my googling is not what it was!

I've found them very helpful in dealing with claims and taking up
issues on my behalf. Their online forum, which I used to read,
collapsed...
Forum: London Transport February 28th 08, 11:33 AM
Replies: 30
Posted By Old Central
Mayoral Manifesto from London Travel Watch

Oops, agreed - but doesn't answer what are the paid?

AFAICS they act like a local councillor would but does anyone vote for
them?

Remember we are considering the nature of a document that has...
Forum: London Transport February 28th 08, 08:08 AM
Replies: 30
Posted By Old Central
Mayoral Manifesto from London Travel Watch

Two questions about London Travelwatch that I struggle to find
answered on their website.

Who funds London Travelwatch?

Excluding the admin staff what are they paid?

These exacerbate my concerns...
Forum: London Transport February 28th 08, 06:43 AM
Replies: 55
Posted By Old Central
DLR Oyster validator

OK I am a regular Underground and Tramlink user but whenever I visit
DLR, (WIQ, West India Quay, and GAR, Gallions Reach) I often fail to
touch out.

Most valaidators face out so welcome travellers...
Forum: London Transport February 28th 08, 06:37 AM
Replies: 3
Posted By Old Central
When to use standalone validators (NR - tube)

(I need to do another thread about badly-placed DLR validators.)

Yes please!

OC

OK I'll do it.
Forum: London Transport February 14th 08, 03:54 PM
Replies: 48
Posted By Old Central
M25 Speed cameras

Tom Anderson wrote "Cartography is hard."

Tom

Sorry, whilst catography is a related topic, this problem normally
comes under geomatics these days (old fashioned land surveying).

OC
Forum: London Transport February 13th 08, 06:25 PM
Replies: 48
Posted By Old Central
M25 Speed cameras

IIRC the use of GPS to determine heights is a complex topic. You need
to determine the spheroid and geoid separation in relation to the grid
used and so on. Remember that many countires use by the...
Forum: London Transport January 24th 08, 10:06 AM
Replies: 35
Posted By Old Central
The Pig in the Python - rebuilding Clapham Junction

Trying to cope with Fennell requirements means replacing miles of
cabling, etc and other building materials. As track in platforms are
red zones this is not an easy task in engineering hours (or...
Forum: London Transport January 24th 08, 09:21 AM
Replies: 35
Posted By Old Central
The Pig in the Python - rebuilding Clapham Junction

Thanks for you responses on air rights but Mwmbwls is getting me
confused!

I attended a meeting last year where the subject of air rights in
London was raised and it was considered too costly -...
Forum: London Transport January 23rd 08, 07:10 AM
Replies: 35
Posted By Old Central
The Pig in the Python - rebuilding Clapham Junction

Is there any suggestion that the proposed development at Clapham
Junction is above the railway or is it just the plot opposite the old
A&H?

OC
Forum: London Transport January 13th 08, 08:21 AM
Replies: 25
Posted By Old Central
Shepherds Bush

Does this mean that removing the lighting columns and attaching the
lights to the walls might fix the problem?

Whilst it may meet the minima values shown in the standards it may not
be deemed as...
Forum: London Transport January 10th 08, 11:12 AM
Replies: 25
Posted By Old Central
Shepherds Bush

and what is the railways inspectorates width requirement anyway for
new platforms?

2.5m IIRC and that is a figure used for low passanger flows....
Forum: London Transport December 11th 07, 05:27 PM
Replies: 307
Posted By Old Central
St P.I..L.L Impressions.

OK then - could you fit two island platforms in the box? Based on my
crude maths and assuming straight track and a 6m existing platform -
no end or centre throws - the latter is definitely not true...
Forum: London Transport December 9th 07, 04:38 PM
Replies: 307
Posted By Old Central
St P.I..L.L Impressions.

Surprisingly, the southern ends of the platforms are on a curve but
these will only be needed if and when we get 12 coaches. This curve
causes much flange noise from southbound trains to...
Forum: London Transport December 3rd 07, 03:55 PM
Replies: 50
Posted By Old Central
Thameslink and LUL changes in King's Cross

IIRC the Canal Tunnels are to the north of the station box with points
being inserted just to the north of the new platforms to provide
connections to the ECML.

As the south end of the station is on...
Forum: London Transport August 21st 07, 09:28 AM
Replies: 25
Posted By Old Central
Oyster Card

From my observations, I have found the problem with Oyester PAYG on
DLR is not entering the system but exiting. All the readers appear to
face outwards and there is no gateline effect to remind the...
Forum: London Transport June 22nd 07, 02:21 PM
Replies: 19
Posted By Old Central
Unusual sight on Blackfriars bridge

Centre and end throws exist depending on relative lengths of
wheelbase, overhang, etc.

AFAIUI most stock is designed to balance the effects of these throws.

Note that on a tight radius the passing...
Forum: London Transport June 22nd 07, 12:27 PM
Replies: 19
Posted By Old Central
Unusual sight on Blackfriars bridge

Doh! Of course it is not the Hotel Curves. The constraints in the
Midland tunnels are significant.

With even more difficulty I suspect if there is a Grade 1 listed
structure on top.

OC
Forum: London Transport June 22nd 07, 11:12 AM
Replies: 19
Posted By Old Central
Unusual sight on Blackfriars bridge

"Surely the clearances arn't *that* tight? Besides , didn't they
extensively rebuild that part of the tunnel in the last few years?
Perhaps they improved the clearances while they were at it and...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 32

Forum Jump