Old April 19th 12, 07:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Blackfriars again

1. The station used to have fixed stairs serving the Underground and
escalators serving (most) Nat Rail platforms. Now it has escalators for
the Underground but fixed stairs for Nat Rail. Are we supposed to
believe this is an improvement?

2. How does that roof over the through nat rail platforms manage to let
in quite so much rain?

Peter Lawrence

Old April 19th 12, 08:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Lawrence wrote on 19 April 2012 20:59:45 ...

1. The station used to have fixed stairs serving the Underground and
escalators serving (most) Nat Rail platforms. Now it has escalators for
the Underground but fixed stairs for Nat Rail. Are we supposed to
believe this is an improvement?

2. How does that roof over the through nat rail platforms manage to let
in quite so much rain?

How about waiting until the project's finished before launching into
that sort of criticism? Last time I was there, the escalator
infrastructure to the National Rail platforms could be seen through the
gaps in the hoardings.
--
Richard J.
Old April 20th 12, 09:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Peter Lawrence" wrote in message
b.com...

1. The station used to have fixed stairs serving the Underground and
escalators serving (most) Nat Rail platforms. Now it has escalators for
the Underground but fixed stairs for Nat Rail. Are we supposed to believe
this is an improvement?

It isn't finished. There are vast areas still hoarded off hiding the
escalators from view.

Paul S

Old April 20th 12, 10:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Apr 19, 9:34*pm, "Richard J." wrote:
Peter Lawrence wrote on 19 April 2012 20:59:45 ....

1. *The station used to have fixed stairs serving the Underground and
escalators serving (most) Nat Rail platforms. *Now it has escalators for
the Underground but fixed stairs for Nat Rail. *Are we supposed to
believe this is an improvement?

2. *How does that roof over the through nat rail platforms manage to let
in quite so much rain?

How about waiting until the project's finished before launching into
that sort of criticism? *Last time I was there, the escalator
infrastructure to the National Rail platforms could be seen through the
gaps in the hoardings.

Blackfriars Station is in a very exposed position. One wonders of
screens will be added in order to protect passengers from winter winds
off the Thames?
Old April 20th 12, 12:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Apr 20, 11:25*am, 77002 wrote:
On Apr 19, 9:34*pm, "Richard J." wrote:

Peter Lawrence wrote on 19 April 2012 20:59:45 ...

1. *The station used to have fixed stairs serving the Underground and
escalators serving (most) Nat Rail platforms. *Now it has escalators for
the Underground but fixed stairs for Nat Rail. *Are we supposed to
believe this is an improvement?

2. *How does that roof over the through nat rail platforms manage to let
in quite so much rain?

How about waiting until the project's finished before launching into
that sort of criticism? *Last time I was there, the escalator
infrastructure to the National Rail platforms could be seen through the
gaps in the hoardings.

Blackfriars Station is in a very exposed position. *One wonders of
screens will be added in order to protect passengers from winter winds
off the Thames?

I've got a better idea - why not a very frequent (say every couple of
minutes) train service to whisk them away?
Tim

Old April 20th 12, 12:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

In message
, at
05:13:11 on Fri, 20 Apr 2012, TimB remarked:
Blackfriars Station is in a very exposed position. *One wonders of
screens will be added in order to protect passengers from winter winds
off the Thames?

I've got a better idea - why not a very frequent (say every couple of
minutes) train service to whisk them away?

And change to the train headed for their required destination, a bit
further up the line?
Old April 20th 12, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Apr 20, 1:13*pm, TimB wrote:
On Apr 20, 11:25*am, 77002 wrote:

[...]

We will see what happens in practice. Although, even two minute would
be time enough to become very cold, and damp during a “horizontal”
winter rain storm above the Thames.
Old April 20th 12, 08:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 19/04/2012 22:45, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 20:59:45 +0100, Peter Lawrence
wrote:

1. The station used to have fixed stairs serving the Underground and
escalators serving (most) Nat Rail platforms. Now it has escalators for
the Underground but fixed stairs for Nat Rail. Are we supposed to
believe this is an improvement?

I've not been to Blackfriars NR for ages but I did read on the FCC
project page that escalators are being installed and will be
commissioned in a few months time as work on the station finishes. I
understand lifts will also come into service then. Looks like mid May
for the main changes with some further small scale works by July.

Apologies. I had missed or forgotten this part of the plan.

2. How does that roof over the through nat rail platforms manage to let
in quite so much rain?

No idea. Perhaps it's not yet finished?

PS - I do intend to pay Blackfriars a visit to see what it looks like
in the near future. I'll try to avoid a rainy day!

What is currently visible is mostly hoardings! The view over the river
from the south end staircase, through clear glass, is recommended though.

Peter Lawrence
Old April 21st 12, 03:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Apr 20, 9:48*pm, Peter Lawrence wrote:

No idea. *Perhaps it's not yet finished?

Indeed,

What is currently visible is mostly hoardings!

BF is not finished yet, or at least was not on my last use of the
place which was about 2 weeks ago now, although as it happens I might
be using it tomorrow.

Commenting ion state of stations during construction work is never
going to yield constructive debate.

If one commented on two stations up the line - Farringdon - on every
different phase of the horrendous work there you could be highly
critical, but what is there now is quite excellent ... and I say that
from the point of view of a commuter who when I do use the place it is
often during full peak, and I do do TL/LU interchanging there.

But even Farringdon is not yet complete, there are still numbers of
hoardings in several different places.

I suspect Blackfriars will be the same, even when the bays are open
and so on it will be a while yet before all hoarding go and all
facilities open.

No-one seems to have commented in uk.r (well I do not remember if so)
about LU Blackfriars. Thats a fine improvement on what was there
before. if only the entire sub-surface stations could be brought up to
that standard (and all made 8car at the same time) . IMHO the rebuilt
Kings Cross is pathetic compared to the rebuilt Blackfriars.

--
Nick