Old May 10th 12, 07:32 AM
Junior Member

Location: Essex
Question How far does my staff Oyster take me?

Hi there! I have a bus nominee pass for tfl, I live in Grays Essex and travel in to Kings Cross via Fenchurch Street. At one time I only used to pay from Grays to Barking and my Oyster used to work at Fenchurch Street for the rest of the journey as the underground rails ran parallel to the C2C ones. I understand that is now not the case. I assume I will now have to pay to Barking and take the underground into Kings Cross to take advantage of the free tariff, is that correct? I would be very grateful if someone could give me some advice as my season ticket is up for renewal soon!

Kind regards

Caz

Old May 10th 12, 05:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default How far does my staff Oyster take me?

On 10/05/2012 12:56, Paul Corfield wrote:

My understanding is that bus operator and bus operator nominee passes
are not valid on any National Rail service. The sole exception is
London Overground which counts as a TfL service. (source - TfL staff
guide to Fares and Ticketing Jan 2012 edition).

Correct. Bus Operator and Bus Operator Nominee passes are *only* valid
on LU, the DLR, London Buses, Tramlink and London Overground. They have
no validity on any other NR service, even on "interavailable" routes.

Cheers,

Barry

Old May 10th 12, 09:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10/05/2012 12:56, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Thu, 10 May 2012 08:32:46 +0100, Caz1000
wrote:

Hi there! I have a bus nominee pass for tfl, I live in Grays Essex and
travel in to Kings Cross via Fenchurch Street. At one time I only used
to pay from Grays to Barking and my Oyster used to work at Fenchurch
Street for the rest of the journey as the underground rails ran parallel
to the C2C ones. I understand that is now not the case. I assume I
will now have to pay to Barking and take the underground into Kings
Cross to take advantage of the free tariff, is that correct? I would be
very grateful if someone could give me some advice as my season ticket
is up for renewal soon!

My understanding is that bus operator and bus operator nominee passes
are not valid on any National Rail service. The sole exception is
London Overground which counts as a TfL service. (source - TfL staff
guide to Fares and Ticketing Jan 2012 edition).

So, nominee Oysters could not be used between Liverpool Street and
Tottenham Hale on Anglia?
Old May 12th 12, 12:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10/05/2012 23:52, Paul Corfield wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Correct. *TfL* nominee passes are allowed to use some inter available
NR services but LST to T Hale is not such a route. Note that what we
were discussing earlier in this thread relates to bus company nominee
passes.

Fair enough, considering that they are contracted to TfL, rather than an
actual part. I would think that TfL nominee passes could be used
anywhere where OysterCards are available, however.

I know a driver on one of the tube lines, and he tells me that employees
of TfL do not receive any sort of discounts when using NR -- not even
annual one-off tickets.

He is entitled to a 50% discount on E*, however.
Old May 14th 12, 09:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14/05/2012 22:07, Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 14/05/2012 18:57, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Mon, 14 May 2012 12:53:58 +0100, David Cantrell
wrote:

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 01:27:45PM +0100, wrote:

I know a driver on one of the tube lines, and he tells me that
employees
of TfL do not receive any sort of discounts when using NR -- not even
annual one-off tickets.

Are you sure about that? I know they used to, and my parents (my dad's
a BR pensioner) get cheap tube tickets. Perhaps this is just left over
from the days before BR was dismembered and sold off to the worst
bidder.

BR privatisation is the cut off point for whether TfL employees have
privilege facilities or not. Further some TfL employees come from
predecessor organisations who have no historical entitlement to
privilege ticket facilities. It needs to be said that with the sheer
complexity of rail ticketing and advent of cheap advance tickets that
the value of the privilege facility has reduced enormously over the
years.

Do TfL people get FIP travel abroad, like the post-privatisation
National Rail types do (but apparently often don't know about)?

Don't know, but I once met somebody who worked for Network Rail and
joined the organisation before 1997. Besides free rail travel throughout
the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, he claimed
that he would be able get free rail travel on the continent, though he
would have to first write to the relevant agency.

Don't know if that privilege included tube and bus, though.
Old May 15th 12, 11:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 06:57:10PM +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

BR privatisation is the cut off point for whether TfL employees have
privilege facilities or not.

Ahh, OK, I guess that makes sense.

Further some TfL employees come from
predecessor organisations who have no historical entitlement to
privilege ticket facilities. It needs to be said that with the sheer
complexity of rail ticketing and advent of cheap advance tickets that
the value of the privilege facility has reduced enormously over the
years.

My parents make a lot of use of their ration of free 48hr passes, and I
suppose the european travel passes (do they still exist?) would be
valuable. Back when I were a lad, kiddy priv fares were capped at a
pound. I used to travel all over the place for next to nothing. Return
from the south coast to Mallaig? Pocket money!

--
David Cantrell | Bourgeois reactionary pig

Please stop rolling your Jargon Dice and explain the problem
you are having to me in plain English, using small words.
-- John Hardin, in the Monastery
Old May 15th 12, 07:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Corfield
writes
Nope. The Eurostar discount is the only offer that gets you to
foreign soil by rail. There are still some ferry discounts for
privilege facility holders.
I sometimes look at the ATOC Staff Travel guidance document for NR
staff and am mildly jealous. Still I could always go and get a job
with a TOC!

In 1966 we not only got free passes country wide, (mine were always made
out Penzance to Thurso) ordinary travel at .25 of the standard fare and
a thing called an international authority card for foreign travel. It
cost me 2/6 (two shilling and six pence) to travel from Bristol to
Paris. That 2/6 was nothing to do with trains it was port tax charges
which the railway didn't own.
--
Clive