Old December 12th 04, 07:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Next Stop information

Does anyone have any information or insight into when the mooted audio
"next stop" information might be introduced to buses? By this I mean
that the bus tracks its location using whatever system (GPS I'd guess)
and the name of the next stop is automatically announced (as well as
possibly being shown on the screens installed in some buses).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old December 12th 04, 08:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
Does anyone have any information or insight into when the mooted audio
"next stop" information might be introduced to buses? By this I mean that
the bus tracks its location using whatever system (GPS I'd guess) and the
name of the next stop is automatically announced (as well as possibly
being shown on the screens installed in some buses).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

It's on RV1 already although it appears on plasma screens rather than sound

Old December 12th 04, 10:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

My last visit a Londres allowed me to experience such amazing stuff courtesy
of a Strident and VERY efficient conductor of Colonial stock on the 13 route
who took note of each and every enquiry re destinations/connections then
Loudly and VERY personally delivered the information direct to the passenger
concerned.
However we live in progressive times so that fellow is probably now gazing
at listings of "Customer Service Operatives" or "Order Pickers" down at the
local Jobcentre....
I noticed at the time how genuinely pleased those passengers were to recieve
such treatment from another HUMAN and their smiles showed it.
Beat that Bill Gates....? .......well he probably will in Windows
XYZZZZZzzzzz Pro due in 2022 and a "must buy" in the portals of TfL`s IT
section...????
It`s odd really but TfL and London as an entity is giving up a really useful
Human tool in attracting and RETAINING both normal and visitor custom in
the interests of furthering the German Commercial Vehicle sectors market
share.....
Looks like Dr Goebbels was`nt far wrong after all...?????

Old December 12th 04, 10:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:13:33 +0000, Dave Arquati
wrote:

Does anyone have any information or insight into when the mooted audio
"next stop" information might be introduced to buses? By this I mean
that the bus tracks its location using whatever system (GPS I'd guess)
and the name of the next stop is automatically announced (as well as
possibly being shown on the screens installed in some buses).

I don't understand why this simple but useful tool has not been
generally introduced into the UK, especially into London, which is in
may ways so innovative.

It seems universal in many parts of the European mainland, and it
doesn't require GPS. Just a feed from the ticket machine as the driver
changes the location/stage - although I agree that GPS is even better.
Old December 12th 04, 10:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:30:26 +0000, Bonzo wrote:

It seems universal in many parts of the European mainland, and it
doesn't require GPS. Just a feed from the ticket machine as the driver
changes the location/stage - although I agree that GPS is even better.

On older buses, it is almost universal on the European mainland for
the driver to announce stops over the PA. I think it's this culture
that differs which means it's taken so long to catch on.

This is a pity, as named stops and driver announcements (or better LED
displays) is probably the best thing a bus operator can do to make
their services friendly to non-locals, and it costs next to nothing if
you go for the simpler end of the technology.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain

Old December 13th 04, 07:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Bonzo
writes

I don't understand why this simple but useful tool has not been
generally introduced into the UK, especially into London, which is in
may ways so innovative.

It seems universal in many parts of the European mainland, and it
doesn't require GPS. Just a feed from the ticket machine as the driver
changes the location/stage - although I agree that GPS is even better.

Since there are now no fare stages or bus zones in London, and many
central area bus drivers don't even sell tickets any more, I'm not quite
sure how that would work.

--
Paul Terry
Old December 13th 04, 08:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I'm pretty sure they still change stages on the Wayfarers as they go
along, though. (although I've noticed they sometimes wait until a busy
stop - such as Brixton - and then go through 10 stages at once!)
Anyone else find this beta version of Google Groups infuriating?

Old December 13th 04, 09:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

Does anyone have any information or insight into when the mooted
audio "next stop" information might be introduced to buses?

Audio announcements are very annoying. One of the selling points of public
transport over cars is that you can study, type or write while travelling.
If they must introduce audio announcements, maybe they could be activated by
a beacon which only the blind and illiterate are able to acquire. Or better
still, the blind could be given GPS units with earphones.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old December 13th 04, 12:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

Does anyone have any information or insight into when the mooted
audio "next stop" information might be introduced to buses?

Audio announcements are very annoying. One of the selling points of public
transport over cars is that you can study, type or write while travelling.
If they must introduce audio announcements, maybe they could be activated by
a beacon which only the blind and illiterate are able to acquire. Or better
still, the blind could be given GPS units with earphones.

I can see how they can be annoying - but then an advantage of public
transport over cars should be that you can navigate to unfamiliar places
a lot more easily.

Audio announcements should be reasonably easy to make as most buses
have PA systems which I'm sure could be wired into a computer; however,
not many buses have screens (ironically, on the newest buses e.g. route
9 *and* the oldest i.e. some Routemasters), and I don't think I've ever
seen a London bus with an internal LED display.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old December 13th 04, 01:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 13 Dec 2004:

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

Does anyone have any information or insight into when the mooted
audio "next stop" information might be introduced to buses?

Audio announcements are very annoying.

True, but I'd rather be told "Next Stop: Streatham Station" than "Bus
stopping at next bus-stop, please stand well clear of doors", which is
what one is told with monotonous regularity every 2 minutes or
thereabouts..... "Next stop: Lambeth Town Hall, please stand clear of
doors" would be less infuriating by a very long way!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/