Old February 15th 05, 08:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Costly Projects

Who exactly keeps an eye on how much of our public money is squandered
by the railways, assuming that this isn't going to be private money.
I am used to hearing about stonking amounts of money spent on railway
projects but now we have the £400m ticket hall.

"One of London's mainline train stations is to be given a £400m
revamp.
The Department of Transport is providing the funding for a new ticket
hall at King's Cross Station"

Somebody please tell me that this isn't true. The whole bloody dome
only cost £700m, Wembley Stadium is about £400m.

Kevin

Old February 15th 05, 10:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
ups.com...

Who exactly keeps an eye on how much of our public money is squandered
by the railways, assuming that this isn't going to be private money.
I am used to hearing about stonking amounts of money spent on railway
projects but now we have the £400m ticket hall.

"One of London's mainline train stations is to be given a £400m
revamp.
The Department of Transport is providing the funding for a new ticket
hall at King's Cross Station"

Somebody please tell me that this isn't true. The whole bloody dome
only cost £700m, Wembley Stadium is about £400m.

It's because this country tries to do everything on the ceap tht we've got
the current mess.

Old February 15th 05, 11:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Brimstone" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...

Who exactly keeps an eye on how much of our public money is squandered
by the railways, assuming that this isn't going to be private money.
I am used to hearing about stonking amounts of money spent on railway
projects but now we have the £400m ticket hall.

"One of London's mainline train stations is to be given a £400m
revamp.
The Department of Transport is providing the funding for a new ticket
hall at King's Cross Station"

I thought the Northern Ticket Hall (which is what the article is talking
about) was for Kings Cross St Pancras underground station rather than the
National Rail station.

Dave

Old February 15th 05, 11:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Liney wrote:

Who exactly keeps an eye on how much of our public money is
squandered by the railways, assuming that this isn't going to be
private money. I am used to hearing about stonking amounts of money
spent on railway projects but now we have the £400m ticket hall.

"One of London's mainline train stations is to be given a £400m
revamp.
The Department of Transport is providing the funding for a new ticket
hall at King's Cross Station"

I thought the Northern Ticket Hall (which is what the article is
talking about) was for Kings Cross St Pancras underground station
rather than the National Rail station.

It is the Northern Ticket Hall. Glad someone's found the money to get it
done with the rest of the CTRL works (although I don't know why its costs
spiralled quite so much and had to be halted - anyone else know?).

There are also longer-term plans to rebuild the suburban platforms at Kings
Cross and move the mainline station ticket hall to where the suburban
platform entrance is now (and destroy the 1970's extension blocking the
front of the original Cubitt building). It'd be nearer the then-completed
St Pancras and would also feed into the new Northern (tube) ticket hall.
Details at:

http://www.argentkingscross.com/, particularly:

The Project/Framework for Regeneration/Southern Hub
http://www.argentkingscross.com/live.../figure_27.pdf

Angus

Old February 15th 05, 03:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Barry Salter" wrote in message
On 15 Feb 2005 01:57:58 -0800, wrote:

Who exactly keeps an eye on how much of our public money is squandered
by the railways, assuming that this isn't going to be private money.
I am used to hearing about stonking amounts of money spent on railway
projects but now we have the £400m ticket hall.

"One of London's mainline train stations is to be given a £400m
revamp.
The Department of Transport is providing the funding for a new ticket
hall at King's Cross Station"

Somebody please tell me that this isn't true. The whole bloody dome
only cost £700m, Wembley Stadium is about £400m.

In the BBC's usual "accurate" reporting, they've got the whole thing
arse upwards. The Northern ticket hall is actually for Kings Cross St
Pancras UNDERGROUND station, NOT the mainline one.

The subway under Pancras Road which will eventually form part of the
access to the new Ticket Hall is now open (at last), though I'm not
entirely sure why given all it really does is duplicate the nearby
pelican crossing, and it's accessed by stairs on the Kings Cross side,
which makes it unsuitable for the less mobile.

Having said that, the whole concourse at Kings Cross mainline IS due to
be demolished and replaced with a new one as part of the "Kings Cross
Central" redevelopment.

HTH,

Barry

That subway has been open/closed for the last 3 months. I think its only
open on sunny days, it is closed when its raining so as not to provide any
protection at all.
And the idea is not to have any escalators going down into it so only able
bodied people can clamber up the stairs at the other end. Its still quicker
to use going INTO the station than fight the cars/people/wanderers at the
crossing and station entrance.
As a general question...whos idea was it to make the station so far
from....well....anywhere really?

Old February 15th 05, 05:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Angus Bryant" wrote in message
Dave Liney wrote:

[...]

This scheme is for both the Northern Ticket hall for the underground station
and for a new ticket hall for the main line station.

See

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/Documen...nouncement.doc

(sorry, it's a word document)

Peter.

Old February 15th 05, 06:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Goodland wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the correction and sorry for the confusion - I hadn't realised
that this announcement *included* the new KX mainline concourse too. That
also explains its high price tag! I wasn't expecting the new concourse to
be added that soon. Good news. Any idea on completion dates?

Angus

Old February 16th 05, 09:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15 Feb 2005 01:57:58 -0800, wrote:

Who exactly keeps an eye on how much of our public money is squandered
by the railways, assuming that this isn't going to be private money.
I am used to hearing about stonking amounts of money spent on railway
projects but now we have the =A3400m ticket hall.

"One of London's mainline train stations is to be given a =A3400m
revamp.
The Department of Transport is providing the funding for a new ticket
hall at King's Cross Station"

Presumably the £400m also covers the cost of the petrol-station-like
awning which is to replace the present main line concourse, judging by
the picture provided. It may also pay for a new, larger, concourse
but it is not clear to me where it can be fitted in, if there is to
be any space left for the trains. (The Guardian today also has an
article but it is no clearer - obviously the press release was
accompanied only by an artists impression and not supported by a site
visit!)
--
Peter Lawrence
Old February 16th 05, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Peter Lawrence" wrote in message
[...]

The new northern ticket hall for the underground station is in front
of King's Cross suburban station, at the end of the passage from the
interim St Pancras station.

The new ticket hall for the main line station is on top of the new tube
ticket hall,
alongside Platform 8.

The current 'temporary' structure at the front of King's Cross is to be
demolished
and replaced by the 'piazza' in the Guardian's picture.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...415280,00.html

(the picture in the paper is clearer than the one on this site)

and no, it does not include fitting out the Thameslink station.

Peter.

Old February 16th 05, 01:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:57:34 -0000, "Peter Goodland"
wrote:

"Peter Lawrence" wrote in message

Presumably the £400m also covers the cost of the petrol-station-like
awning which is to replace the present main line concourse, judging by
the picture provided. It may also pay for a new, larger, concourse
but it is not clear to me where it can be fitted in, if there is to
be any space left for the trains. (The Guardian today also has an
article but it is no clearer - obviously the press release was
accompanied only by an artists impression and not supported by a site
visit!)

The new northern ticket hall for the underground station is in front
of King's Cross suburban station, at the end of the passage from the
interim St Pancras station.

Hardly new, it was announced years ago, and then deferred.

The new ticket hall for the main line station is on top of the new tube
ticket hall,
alongside Platform 8.

Thankyou. Not a good location for a concourse, separated from the
trains by a row of offices which must remain since they hold the roof
up. A plan, showing the intended passenger routes, would have been
helpful.

The current 'temporary' structure at the front of King's Cross is to be
demolished
and replaced by the 'piazza' in the Guardian's picture.

So I deduced.

and no, it does not include fitting out the Thameslink station.

So TL 2000 disappears into the indefinite future with GN suburban
passengers getting a shiny new, convenient, concourse to use instead?
--
Peter Lawrence