Old May 24th 05, 01:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Default Unicycles on the London Underground

"John Hearns" wrote

As the poster says, what if a Tube train had to be evacuated inside

deep tunnel?

In Washington DC cyclists are advised that they should then leave
their bikes on the train, piling them on the seats, to avoid blocking
the aisles.

Riding your bike down the tunnel in order to escape is not permitted.

Jeremy Parker

Old May 24th 05, 01:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

"David Hansen" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 May 2005 20:57:55 GMT someone who may be "Malcolm & Nika"
wrote this:-

Ah, basic knowledge. Pardon me while I laugh.

Laugh????? Why is that then?

I regard it in much the same way as I regard common sense.

If unicycles are banned then presumably the much larger rucksacks
are also banned. If not, why not?

Ok so you want them banned also????? ...perhaps you would like to ban
children in peak time? Or guide dogs? What about those pesky other paying
people....you could have a car all to yourself if they weren't on as
well.......

I note that you did not answer the question.

--

Perhaps I dont know the answer.......... I wish they would.

Old May 24th 05, 01:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

JNugent wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 23 May 2005:

Do rucksacks also have hardened steel sharp bits sticking out

Frequently, in my experience! They certainly take up another person's
worth of space.....

and/or covered
in black grease as well?

I certainly wouldn't rule it out!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old May 24th 05, 01:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 May 2005 20:58:53 GMT, "Malcolm & Nika"
wrote in message
:

Keep up.....caps are no longer a part of the uniform.

I could have sworn they were wearing them last week.

Guy

Went off the list recently......

AND..... All those animals and birds are banned aslo. So there.

Mal

Old May 24th 05, 02:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

["Followup-To:" header set to uk.rec.cycling.]
On Mon, 23 May 2005, JNugent wrote:
Mark Thompson wrote:

I think he mentioned them as a way of highlighting the idiocy of
banning a unicycle...

Why?

Do rucksacks also have hardened steel sharp bits sticking out and/or
covered in black grease as well?

As well as what?

None of my rucksacks have hardened steel sharp bits sticking out
(unless, I suppose, I put a hardened steel sharp thing that's too big
to fit entirely inside partly within the rucksack).

Neither does my unicycle. Nor is it covered in black grease (or any
other sort of grease). There's a small amount of grease sealed within
the pedals, and an even smaller amount sealed within the cartridge
bearings.

The tyre, pedal ends and seat (ie, all extremities) are all black
rubber, so not liable to scratch dig or gouge anything.

regards, Ian SMith

Old May 24th 05, 02:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

On Mon, 23 May 2005, John Hearns wrote:

And FFS, how many unicycles do you see in London.

Depends if you go into a unicycle shop, I suppose.

So would be unicycles - if ANYONE ever carried one on a Tube. I have
never seen one.

I have carried one on the tube. HTH.

By the way, I don't think anyone _is_ getting wound up about not
being able to take a unicycle on the tube. There are a few that seem
to be getting wound up that people ARE allowed to take unicycles on the
tube, but as far as can be seen, everyone that's tried it has
succeeded without problems.

regards, Ian SMith
Old May 24th 05, 02:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

"JNugent" typed

Do unicycles?

If they operate in the same way as bicycles, the answer must be
"yes". Not that you see too many of them.

You obviously don't see them, or look at them then. Unicycles are
driven directly without gears, cog or a chain...

Not all of them, clearly.

The only one I have ever seen "in the flesh" definitely had a crank wheel
attached to the pedals and a gear chain driving the wheel.

It er... some years ago...

I have not seen another these last... thirty+ years?

Is it known that any are in use as pukka transport?

Old May 24th 05, 02:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

wrote:

If they operate in the same way as bicycles, the answer must be
"yes".

Your ignorance is, as ever, encyclopaedic.

And as usual, you are 100% wrong.

They don't operate in the
same way, and the answer is not, in any case, unequivocally yes for
bicycles.

The legal definition of cycles is, in most Acts where they are
covered, "a bicycle, a tricycle or a cycle having four or more wheels
not being in any case a motor vehicle". TfL's website only refers to
restrictions on *unfolded bicycles*. In fact it says "To take a bike
on public transport *without restriction*, you need to invest in a
folding cycle" (my emphasis) which clearly implies that folding bikes
are exempt.

So what?

Unicycles have just the one wheel and no chain or handlebars.

Nut true.

There only has to be one example of a unicycle with a chain for you to be
wrong in that statement of such misplaced generality.

And you *are* wrong.

They
are about the same width and thickness as a folded Brompton (depending
on wheel size). A yike (unless it's a Coker or one of the bigger
Munis) is likely to be smaller than a guitar, and will have no
projecting oily bits. And of course it is not a bicycle, being short
one wheel.

Dear me.

What shade of anorak do you prefer?

Old May 24th 05, 02:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

"JNugent" typed

Why?
Do rucksacks also have hardened steel sharp bits sticking out and/or
covered in black grease as well?

Rucksacks have aluminium frames that are almost as hard. They can seem
to move in the opposite direction to their owner.

Not too welcome on the Northern Line during the rush-hour, I should think.

There ain't much grease on a unicycle, cos most don't have chains...

But some do.

Old May 24th 05, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

Mark Thompson wrote:

I think he mentioned them as a way of highlighting the idiocy of
banning a unicycle...

Why?
Do rucksacks also have hardened steel sharp bits sticking out and/or
covered in black grease as well?

As well as what?

As well as cycles.

None of my rucksacks have hardened steel sharp bits sticking out
(unless, I suppose, I put a hardened steel sharp thing that's too big
to fit entirely inside partly within the rucksack).

Good.

Neither does my unicycle. Nor is it covered in black grease (or any
other sort of grease). There's a small amount of grease sealed within
the pedals, and an even smaller amount sealed within the cartridge
bearings.

The tyre, pedal ends and seat (ie, all extremities) are all black
rubber, so not liable to scratch dig or gouge anything.

....but still containing enough road dirt to be easily able to foul the
clothing of an adjacent passenger, perhaps on their way to a night out?

Whatever your views on where the balance should be struck between the rights
of cyclist passengers and the rights of pedestrian passengers, you *can* see
why bikes (and, if appropriate, unicycles) are banned on the Underground?