Old January 15th 07, 10:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL by 2016

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007, James Farrar wrote:

On 15 Jan 2007 04:52:55 -0800, "sweek"
wrote:

The Northern Line will hopefully be split by then, the Bakerloo
extended back to Watford Junction and the old Watford station would be
closed.

That would be a pity - Watford Met is far more convenient for my trips
to Watford than is Junction.

How does it compare to Ascot Road and Watford West? Unless you're going
somewhere on or north of the Rickmansworth Road, one of the link's
stations should be handier. See he

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/images/co...ojects/map.gif

That map does say that Watford Met will close, but the webpage it's on
says "possible closure of the Metropolitan line station at Watford and of
the branch north of the viaduct", so who knows.

tom

--
A plug on its back, straining to suck voltage from the sky

Old January 15th 07, 10:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 15:37:15 -0500, David of Broadway
wrote:

sweek wrote:

The Northern Line will hopefully be split by then, the Bakerloo
extended back to Watford Junction and the old Watford station would be
closed.

Thinking like a New Yorker he

If this happens, would it be possible for Bakerloo trains to be rerouted
up the Jubilee and Met to Watford Junction and then run back into
Central London on their regular route?

Unless Bakerloo line trains were equipped to work under the Alcatel
signalling on the Jubilee Line I can't see a normal daytime operation
being possible.

I continue to be boggled that LU has not mandated a single standard for
signalling systems.

Come to think of it, can trains be rerouted in this fashion anywhere
else?

I think there's some flexibility out west where the Picc and District run
together, BICBW.

Aside from relatively simple cases involving the Circle line, the only
example I can think of (and I don't know if this is possible) is to
divert a Piccadilly line train from Uxbridge down the Met, around most
of the Circle via Tower Hill, through Earl's Court, and back onto the
Picc at Hammersmith.

I don't know whether a Picc train would fit all the way round. [...] I
imaging Aldgate might be a little exciting with a train of 73 stock

So is the tube (or at least the Picc) loading gauge or kinematic envelope
or whatever the kids call it these days not strictly smaller than the
SSL's?

*looks it up*

Ah, no, TS73 is narrower but longer than C stock, so given a tight enough
curve, it will hang further out over the edge. Presumably, that means
current D stock also wouldn't enjoy going through Aldgate much.

tom

--
A plug on its back, straining to suck voltage from the sky
Old January 15th 07, 10:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave A" wrote in message
brixtonite wrote:
Dave A wrote:

Shepherd's Bush (WLL) will almost certainly be the next new station to
open in London - construction is nearing completion and I hear that
Network Rail are keen to get the station operating as soon as possible
(probably the second quarter of this calendar year).

That sounds good. I'm surprised by how busy the WLL is already - it's
been full and standing when I've taken it - even though there are only
four stations. It has the potential to be very useful, although
unfortunately the RUS (I think it was) ruled out even 4 tph in the near
future, and I reckon 6 tph is the minimum for a turn-up-and-go service,
particularly when many people will be interchanging from other lines.
But certainly Clapham Junction to Shepherd's Bush will be an order of
magnitude easier with the new station.

My observations of the WLL are certainly that AM peak northbound trains
arriving at Olympia are full and standing. The RUS estimated about 1,000
passengers per hour leaving Clapham Junction on the WLL in the morning
peak, with an average load factor of 103% (ratio of passengers to seats).

That's the healthy increase.

I had to catch the Kenny-Bell(e?) once in the old days
when it was a peak hour shuttle, CJ to KO only.

It was me, the driver, and two others.

tim

Old January 16th 07, 12:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

TheSovereign wrote:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/downloads/...t-onthemap.pdf

looking good? criticism welcome

Do you have the fares guide that'll go with it? That'll be a beauty.

ESB
Old January 16th 07, 12:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave A wrote:

Unfortunately nothing has happened with Park Royal. AIUI the
construction of the station is tied into planning consent conditions
related to occupancy of the buildings in the adjacent development
(i.e. once occupancy hits a certain percentage, the station must be
built) and the conditions haven't been met yet.

According to
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acro...PkRoyalCentral
, the station must open before the third office block can open. Has the
third office block opened, or is it even under construction? A rather
uninformative picture of the station appeared on a billboard close to the
A40 link road, and AFAIK is still there.

Wood Lane is more advanced than Park Royal (in that it is required for
the shopping centre) - although last time I looked in December, no
physical works had started.

While the WLL station at Holland Park Roundabout was required by the
planning consent for the shopping centre, AFAIK the H&C station was not, but
has instead been the subject of a separate planning request by the shopping
centre developers (Chelsfield at the time).

Old January 16th 07, 02:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

The Northern Line will hopefully be split by then, the Bakerloo
extended back to Watford Junction and the old Watford station would be
closed.

That would be a pity - Watford Met is far more convenient for my trips
to Watford than is Junction.

How does it compare to Ascot Road and Watford West? Unless you're going
somewhere on or north of the Rickmansworth Road, one of the link's
stations should be handier. See he

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/images/co...ojects/map.gif

Ah, I hadn't understood that was the plan. Watford West would be best,
I guess.
Old January 16th 07, 10:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave A wrote:
brixtonite wrote:
Dave A wrote:

[...]

seats). Whilst this isn't as high as some LU and other NR routes, I
think it indicates a strong underlying demand given the relatively poor
and uneven frequency.

Well it's their manor I guess, but my experiences a couple of years ago
of the morning peak from Clapham Junction northbound were of loading
factors considerably higher than that - 'full, standing, and
complaining' as they used to say in BR days!

--
Larry Lard

The address is real, but unread - please reply to the group
Old January 16th 07, 05:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 23:26:00 +0000, Tom Anderson
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007, Paul Corfield wrote:

I continue to be boggled that LU has not mandated a single standard for
signalling systems.

There are standards mandated for signalling systems. However it would be
crazy for them to mandate one manufacturer's solution. It would be a
licence to print money. The real issue is about the extent of or
requirement for interoperability between lines. Apart from the sub
surface railway the only places where this routinely happens is Met and
Picc west of Rayners Lane and west of Acton Town. All other interworking
is for emergency purposes only.

Come to think of it, can trains be rerouted in this fashion anywhere
else?

I think there's some flexibility out west where the Picc and District run
together, BICBW.

You are correct. It also exists for the Met and Jubilee Lines at present
and as I have mentioned above.

I don't know whether a Picc train would fit all the way round. [...] I
imaging Aldgate might be a little exciting with a train of 73 stock

So is the tube (or at least the Picc) loading gauge or kinematic envelope
or whatever the kids call it these days not strictly smaller than the
SSL's?

*looks it up*

Ah, no, TS73 is narrower but longer than C stock, so given a tight enough
curve, it will hang further out over the edge. Presumably, that means
current D stock also wouldn't enjoy going through Aldgate much.

Without knowing the details that was the basic point I was making. 73
stock carriages are long and I suspect they may struggle with the circle
line platforms at Aldgate. Don't know about D stock.
--
Paul C

Old January 16th 07, 06:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

James Farrar wrote
wrote:

That would be a pity - Watford Met is far more convenient for my

trips
to Watford than is Junction.

How does it compare to Ascot Road and Watford West? Unless you're

going
somewhere on or north of the Rickmansworth Road, one of the link's
stations should be handier. See he

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/images/co...ojects/map.gif

Ah, I hadn't understood that was the plan. Watford West would be

best,
I guess.

Thus removing it from its position as the quietest NR station inside
the M25 and indeed (with Dorking West) in Southern England.

http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/server/show/nav.1379

--
Mike D

Old January 16th 07, 07:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

James Farrar wrote
wrote:

That would be a pity - Watford Met is far more convenient for my

trips
to Watford than is Junction.

How does it compare to Ascot Road and Watford West? Unless you're

going
somewhere on or north of the Rickmansworth Road, one of the link's
stations should be handier. See he

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/images/co...ojects/map.gif

Ah, I hadn't understood that was the plan. Watford West would be

best,
I guess.

Thus removing it from its position as the quietest NR station inside
the M25 and indeed (with Dorking West) in Southern England.

Stations like Dorking West suffer from the incorrect allocation of
all tickets to "insert town name Stations" to the main station in
that town.

tim