Old February 10th 08, 01:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway

Default 31 Minutes to walk from Kings Cross to St. Pancreas - Is this true!?

Hey guys. I'm currently planning a journey that takes me via London.
Basically I arrive in London Kings Cross, then ened to walk over to St
Pancreas to get a train to St. Albans. According to the Transport
Direct journey planner, this walk will take 31 minutes, but if I look
at any map, it looks like it shouldn't even take 5!

I've not been to the new St Pancreas, and I guess the entrance might
not be at the Kings Cross side, but is it really true that it would
take the average person 31 minutes to walk from Kings Cross station to
St. Pancreas?

Kind regards,

Matt

Old February 10th 08, 01:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Matt wrote:
Hey guys. I'm currently planning a journey that takes me via London.
Basically I arrive in London Kings Cross, then ened to walk over to
St Pancreas to get a train to St. Albans. According to the Transport
Direct journey planner, this walk will take 31 minutes, but if I
look at any map, it looks like it shouldn't even take 5!

I've not been to the new St Pancreas, and I guess the entrance might
not be at the Kings Cross side, but is it really true that it would
take the average person 31 minutes to walk from Kings Cross station
to St. Pancreas?

First of all, it's St Pancras, not St Pancreas!

They must be assuming that you get lost, not difficult to do if you
don't know the place. It shouldn't take more than 5 or 10 minutes.

When you get to King's Cross, follow signs for Platforms 9 to 11 if
you're not already there. Platforms 9 to 11 are in a separate building
stuck on the western side of the main station, accessed from half way
along platform 8. From there you can walk straight across to the
eastern side entrance of St Pancras station, where the new extension
joins on to the original brick building. From the entrance go right
across to the far (western side) where there are escalators down to the
First Capital Connect platforms for trains to St Albans.

--
Richard J.

Old February 10th 08, 02:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

When you get to King's Cross, follow signs for Platforms 9 to 11 if you're
not already there. Platforms 9 to 11 are in a separate building

Along with platform 9 3/4?

--
Cheers

Roger T.
Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:-
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra/
Latitude: 48° 25' North
Longitude: 123° 21' West

Old February 10th 08, 02:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

When you get to King's Cross, follow signs for Platforms 9 to 11

Platform 9 3/4. Sorry forgot the link.

http://www.crypto.com/photos/misc/platform9.75.html

Old February 10th 08, 06:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Richard J." wrote in message
. ..
Matt wrote:
Hey guys. I'm currently planning a journey that takes me via London.
Basically I arrive in London Kings Cross, then ened to walk over to
St Pancreas to get a train to St. Albans. According to the Transport
Direct journey planner, this walk will take 31 minutes, but if I
look at any map, it looks like it shouldn't even take 5!

I've not been to the new St Pancreas, and I guess the entrance might
not be at the Kings Cross side, but is it really true that it would
take the average person 31 minutes to walk from Kings Cross station
to St. Pancreas?

First of all, it's St Pancras, not St Pancreas!

They must be assuming that you get lost, not difficult to do if you don't
know the place. It shouldn't take more than 5 or 10 minutes.

I suspect that they are adding on the 'normal' connection time to the actual
walking time.

If you had a journey which involved a change at Kings Cross they probably
allow you 20 minutes for getting through the exit barriers (which might
easily take 5) and finding the next train.

So this 31 minutes is going to be 10 minutes walk plus the 20 minutes above.

tim

Old February 10th 08, 07:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Richard J. wrote:
Matt wrote:
Hey guys. I'm currently planning a journey that takes me via London.
Basically I arrive in London Kings Cross, then ened to walk over to
St Pancreas to get a train to St. Albans.

If you're coming from the north, don't forget there's always the option
of taking a bus from Hatfield or Welwyn Garden City to St. Albans.

Look up bus times on http://transportdirect.info/.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old February 10th 08, 07:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
, at
18:26:04 on Sat, 9 Feb 2008, Matt remarked:
is it really true that it would take the average person 31 minutes to
walk from Kings Cross station to St. Pancreas?

If you arrive on any of platforms 1-7 [1] then first you may have to
walk the entire length of the train to the concourse, and then the
obvious route is to exit the station at the front. From there, although
St Pancras is "just across the road", you then end up walking the entire
length of the original shed, before starting a trip down into the bowels
for the low-level station.

So yes, it's not a five minute job. 31 minutes does allow some normal
"connection time", too. Looking at a map, the total distance might be as
much as 2,000 ft, which is six minutes at a 4mph trot, so realistically
twice that with people and luggage in the way.

[1] For pedants, there is a footbridge for platform 1, but I doubt any
strangers would ever use it.
Old February 10th 08, 08:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 08:21:30 on Sun, 10
Feb 2008, Michael Hoffman remarked:
Hey guys. I'm currently planning a journey that takes me via London.
Basically I arrive in London Kings Cross, then ened to walk over to
St Pancreas to get a train to St. Albans.

If you're coming from the north, don't forget there's always the option
of taking a bus from Hatfield or Welwyn Garden City to St. Albans.

Although none of the NXEC trains stop at either of those stations.
Old February 10th 08, 08:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway

On 10 Feb, 08:39, Roland Perry wrote:
If you arrive on any of platforms 1-7 [1] then first you may have to
walk the entire length of the train to the concourse, and then the
obvious route is to exit the station at the front. From there, although
St Pancras is "just across the road", you then end up walking the entire
length of the original shed, before starting a trip down into the bowels
for the low-level station.

There's a side entrance from the King's Cross concourse that recently
reopened that takes you between hoardings to somewhere near the middle
side entrance to St Pancras. It makes the walk slightly shorter. I
think you just turn right just before the Travel Centre and then it's
hard to not follow the route.

See entrance number 4 here (NB a lot of the map is out of date):
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/documents/For%20Passengers/Station%20Maps/4504_King's%20Cross%20Station%20Map.pdf

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old February 10th 08, 08:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
, at
01:23:03 on Sun, 10 Feb 2008, Mr Thant
remarked:
If you arrive on any of platforms 1-7 [1] then first you may have to
walk the entire length of the train to the concourse, and then the
obvious route is to exit the station at the front. From there, although
St Pancras is "just across the road", you then end up walking the entire
length of the original shed, before starting a trip down into the bowels
for the low-level station.

There's a side entrance from the King's Cross concourse that recently
reopened that takes you between hoardings to somewhere near the middle
side entrance to St Pancras. It makes the walk slightly shorter. I
think you just turn right just before the Travel Centre and then it's
hard to not follow the route.

There are some other short-cuts (I often take the indoor staircase that
comes out by the temporary pub and statue, when heading for the Midland
platforms).

However, the generic advice available for passengers is very likely to
assume they take the "most obvious" route using front doors rather than
side doors. So that's where these extended transfer times come from.