Old May 22nd 09, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Default Commuters suffer while Crowe inflates his ego even further

wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2009 19:48:43 +0100
"MrBitsy" wrote:
A) There hasn't been since they were built since 42 years ago so why
didn't
the RMT see fit to go on strike in 1967?

Why hasn't the problem been fixed in 42 years?

It wasn't a "problem" until recently, just like a load of other
nonsense
the health and safety culture has come up with.

How do you explain pilots landing with wheels up, ships colliding
with

When was the last time a commercial airliner landed with its wheels up
because the crew forgot to lower them??

experienced captains and other very experienced people making
fundamental mistakes - are they just 'dumb'?

No , they're careless and should be fired. Making mistakes in a
stressful situation with a lot going on is one thing - not bothering
to check which side the flippin platform is on when you're doing
bugger all else anyway except possibly reading a copy of The Sun
under the control desk is something else entirely.

Incidentaly, are you seriously trying to compare operating an
automatic tube train to flying an airliner or captaining a ship??

C) The trains are due to be replaced in a couple of years time
anyway.

In two years, this mistake is likely to happen again - I hope it is
not someone you love who may be injured.

Oh , woah is me, those heart strings pluck so mournfully...

Not.

What experience have you of railway management? What experience are
you using to make a judgment this bullying is not taking place?

This "bullying" argument seems to end up as an orderve on most RMT
strikes. Either working for LUL is similar to being in Stalins russia
or the RMT are full of ****. I know which option I'd go for.

And you'd be wrong.

Old May 22nd 09, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 22 May 2009 09:55:15 +0100
"Brimstone" wrote:
This "bullying" argument seems to end up as an orderve on most RMT
strikes. Either working for LUL is similar to being in Stalins russia
or the RMT are full of ****. I know which option I'd go for.

And you'd be wrong.

Oh right, well cheers for that insightful heads up there.

If its really that bad to work for it why do they all get so upset when
someone gets sacked? Surely they'd rejoicing for him?

B2003

Old May 22nd 09, 12:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 06:18:39AM -0700, Mizter T wrote:

see the
comments from Howard Collins, COO of LU, in this press release:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/11781.aspx

" He's management. He would say that. "

And it's a press release, so is almost certainly a lie, just like
other press releases.

We found no search results for "crotchet". Did you mean "crotch"?
Old May 22nd 09, 12:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 22, 1:02*pm, David Cantrell wrote:
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 06:18:39AM -0700, Mizter T wrote:
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *see the
comments from Howard Collins, COO of LU, in this press release:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/11781.aspx

" He's management. *He would say that. "

And it's a press release, so is almost certainly a lie, just like
other press releases.

Very few press releases are lies.

Admittedly, very few press releases tell the whole truth.

The District Dave thread on this subject is interesting; I shan't link
because IIRC they don't like that. It's clear that:
1) a driver pressed the door open button on the wrong side
2) he failed to tell management about this immediately, which is the
rule laid down for this kind of accident
3) he was subsequently dismissed for failing to report the incident
4) the drivers are striking because of 3)
5) nobody seriously believes the equipment should be installed on the
Vic

It's not entirely clear whether the doors actually opened, or whether
he cancelled the action so quickly that nobody was exposed to any real
danger[*] and hence failing to report it wasn't entirely outrageous.
[*] although, not being a complete ****wit, I tend to check whether
there's a platform next to my train before I get off it. I recognise
that this isn't the principle on which present H&S legislation is
based.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old May 22nd 09, 12:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

[*] although, not being a complete ****wit, I tend to check whether
there's a platform next to my train before I get off it. I recognise
that this isn't the principle on which present H&S legislation is
based.

I think it's more of a case of the danger of people falling out of a
packed train, if they were already pressed against the doors. They
wouldn't be expecting the doors to open on the tunnel side and wouldn't
be hanging on to the rail.

Old May 22nd 09, 01:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22 May, 13:54, wrote:
It does seem a bit harsh firing him if he did eventually report it. I'd have
thought a written warning would have been enough. Unless of course he never
reported it or he'd had a lot of "incidents" before.

The procedure is to do a thorough check of the train before moving off
(possibly with the help of other staff). He assumed there was no need
(apparently after trying and failing to contact control) and carried
on. Anyone who, unsure what to do, errs on the side of not following
the safety procedure (quite possibly in an attempt to cover up his
mistake) has no business driving trains.

Old May 22nd 09, 02:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 22 May, 14:57, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 22 May, 13:54, wrote:

It does seem a bit harsh firing him if he did eventually report it. I'd have
thought a written warning would have been enough. Unless of course he never
reported it or he'd had a lot of "incidents" before.

The procedure is to do a thorough check of the train before moving off
(possibly with the help of other staff). He assumed there was no need
(apparently after trying and failing to contact control) and carried
on. Anyone who, unsure what to do, errs on the side of not following
the safety procedure (quite possibly in an attempt to cover up his
mistake) has no business driving trains.

This seems to be information that no one else has got (and rather
damning if true.) It's the sort of thing you get in an RAIB report,
but presumably there wasn't one.
Old May 22nd 09, 05:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Either working for LUL is similar to being in Stalins russia

But isn't that what Crow et al actually want?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old May 22nd 09, 05:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message

wrote:

Either working for LUL is similar to being in Stalins russia

But isn't that what Crow et al actually want?

I would have thought that Stalin was a trifle too right-wing for Brother
Crow.