Old June 28th 10, 03:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Loogahgbaroogah

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 13:24:46 +0100, Zhang Dawei
wrote:

You say Car-mee-na, I say Car-my-na ... mee-na, my-na ... Let's call
the whole thing Orff"

Zucchini/Courgette (haven't got the hang of this, have I!)

Old June 28th 10, 03:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 06:54:43 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

Changing industries for a moment, I find myself increasingly surrounded
by Americans who use the Inner-net (and not as a contraction of
Intranet).

oop North we use tin-ter-net.
Old June 28th 10, 03:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

You say Car-mee-na, I say Car-my-na ... mee-na, my-na ... Let's call
the whole thing Orff"

Zucchini/Courgette (haven't got the hang of this, have I!)

I have always wondered why I've never seen a courge.

Mind you, it's fair to acknowledge that Majors rarely look how one might
imagine fully-grown Majorettes to look.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9628984.html
(13336 (ex 08 266) at Haworth, 15 Jan 2000)
Old June 28th 10, 03:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jun 28, 4:34*pm, Graeme wrote:

Chris *Tolley (ukonline really) wrote:

Graeme wrote:

Chris *Tolley (ukonline really) wrote:

Alex Potter wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 10:21:32 +0100, Chris *Tolley wrote:
Was in London decades ago and got in a taxi wantong to go to
St Mary-le-Bow Church in the City. Taxi driver responded, "that's
the one just off Key Apsiddy, innit?"

Why do I think of the Ying-Tong song?

I'm sorry, being of tender years, the reference is lost on me.

Radio 7, Thursday Mornings at 0800 might give you a clue.

I'll clarify. I know of the Ying Tong song. I even looked it up to see
if there is some reference in the Lyrics to the names of main roads
in London, but couldn't see one.

NB The "Key Apsiddy" mentioned above was uttered with what seemed at the
time a fairly reasonable Cockney accent, so it wasn't a case of him
being a stranger in Town.

Despite coming from a London family, I've still not decoded that one.

sounds of brain cogs whirring, albeit somewhat squeakily

Doh! *OK someone was extracting the urine, obviously.

Indeed! (Keep up at the back!)
Old June 28th 10, 04:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Josie wrote:

On 27/06/2010 21:06, Ian Jelf wrote:
Edin - burrow (Edinburgh, as almost *always* pronounced by North Americans)

Are any of them from Pitsburrow?

Dunno - I'm not sure there are many people from Edinburg either.

There is a Peterborough (Peter-burr-OH) in Ontario.

Sam

Old June 28th 10, 04:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Graham Murray wrote:

Josie writes:

On 27/06/2010 21:06, Ian Jelf wrote:
Edin - burrow (Edinburgh, as almost *always* pronounced by North Americans)

Are any of them from Pitsburrow?

The Americans are no better, with Kansas and Arkansas. I wonder what the
reaction would be if a Brit were refer to Ar-Can-Zus while in the USA.

If they were talking about the river that flows through Colorado or
Kansas, they'd be right, though the pronounciation changes when you get
downstream, apparently.

Sam
Old June 28th 10, 04:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Jim
writes

American customers used to refer to the place in Sarf Essex as 'Bay-
zill-don' from the way they pronounce the herb 'basil'.

Maybe Bay-zill Jet knows this.

Oh, I'd forgotten this story! I once had a US client who amused me
somewhat by referring to Basil (the herb!) As "Bay - zil". Indeed, I
was *so* taken with this, I actually asked her "Does that mean you say
'Bay - zil' Brush, too?"

Unsurprisingly, she had no idea of what I was on about!

Cecil the Seasick Seaserpent doesn't work in British English, either.

Sam
Old June 28th 10, 04:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

You say Car-mee-na, I say Car-my-na ... mee-na, my-na ... Let's call
the whole thing Orff"

Zucchini/Courgette (haven't got the hang of this, have I!)

I have always wondered why I've never seen a courge.

Or a zuccho? Used to be quite common when I were a lad.

Mind you, it's fair to acknowledge that Majors rarely look how one might
imagine fully-grown Majorettes to look.

:-) I'm trying to think of a joke about a small former Prime Minister
and failing.

Sam
Old June 28th 10, 04:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Roland Perry
writes
In message , at 21:06:26 on
Sun, 27 Jun 2010, Ian Jelf remarked:

War - sester (Worcester)

And War-Wick.

D'oh! Slaps forehead. I work there - and thus get that - **ALL**
the time!

Dionne has a lot to answer for.

Sam
Old June 28th 10, 05:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Sam Wilson wrote:

In article ,
Chris Tolley (ukonline really) wrote:

I have always wondered why I've never seen a courge.

Or a zuccho? Used to be quite common when I were a lad.

"zucco" of course.

Sam