Old June 28th 10, 11:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Loogahgbaroogah

In article ,
lid (Arthur Figgis) wrote:

Anyone mentioned Bombardier yet? (being from Quebec, the train and
plane manufacturer is not pronounced like the beer)

I always call the beer by the canadian pronunciation. That'll teach
Charles Wells for being so pretentious!

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old June 28th 10, 11:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Once upon a time, Guy Gorton wrote:

Tourists and natives alike are asked in this country to pronounce the
new name for Abbey as San-tan-daire. I asked the staff whether they
would look at the cal-en-daire on the wall, and whether I could
ten-daire a 5 pound note. Sensible answers were prohibited by
management.

The French kitchen equipment company Moulinex (which mum always said
should be pronounced "Moliknow") actually ran adverts where they
pronounced it "Moon-li-nex", because that was how most UK people said
it.

Ditto Peugeot calling themselves "Perr-jo".

Sometimes it's just easier to accept that the natives of one country
will never learn to pronounce "foreign" words correctly, though it must
surely make people from the original country cringe to hear it.

--
- The Iron Jelloid
Old June 29th 10, 01:00 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 29/06/2010 00:34, The Iron Jelloid wrote:

The French kitchen equipment company Moulinex (which mum always said
should be pronounced "Moliknow") actually ran adverts where they
pronounced it "Moon-li-nex", because that was how most UK people said
it.

Your mum is wrong. She is mixing (no pun intended) it with molyneux.

Sometimes it's just easier to accept that the natives of one country
will never learn to pronounce "foreign" words correctly, though it must
surely make people from the original country cringe to hear it.

Oranjeboom, Oranjeboom it's a lager not a tune...
(correct pronunciation is o-ran-yuh-boam)
Old June 29th 10, 01:23 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Conversely, there are cases where post-colonial guilt and PC willy-waving
mean Britons use "local" names which the natives might not themselves use.

But at least it's reasonably close to the Spanish, unlike "bowkay" and
"larngeray" for certain French words, as I've mentioned somewhere.

Anyone mentioned Bombardier yet? (being from Quebec, the train and plane
manufacturer is not pronounced like the beer)

Bom-BAR-d'se-ay. That's how it's pronounced in Quebec.

And speaking of post-colonial guilt why do Brits insist on calling North
America "America" and ****ing off the Canadians, Mexicans, the people of the
Caribbean Islands etc., by calling us all "Americans"?

America and Americans refers ONLY to the peoples of the U.S. of A. The
continent is correctly called North America, no matter what you may think.

--
Roger Traviss

Photos of the late GER: -
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra/

For more photos not in the above album and kitbashes etc..:-
http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l9...Great_Eastern/

Old June 29th 10, 01:41 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Once upon a time, Roger Traviss wrote:

And speaking of post-colonial guilt why do Brits insist on calling North
America "America" and ****ing off the Canadians, Mexicans, the people of the
Caribbean Islands etc., by calling us all "Americans"?

Probably for the same reason lots of North Americans insist on referring
to Scotland and Wales as "England", thereby ****ing off lots of us over
here.

America and Americans refers ONLY to the peoples of the U.S. of A. The
continent is correctly called North America, no matter what you may think.

Would probably help if that was taught in schools, it wasn't when I
went.

--
- The Iron Jelloid

Old June 29th 10, 01:42 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 20:04:03 +1000, "John Nuttall"
wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 21:06:26 on Sun,
27 Jun 2010, Ian Jelf remarked:

War - sester (Worcester)

And War-Wick.

Changing industries for a moment, I find myself increasingly surrounded by
Americans who use the Inner-net (and not as a contraction of Intranet).

And yet Berwick in Sussex is supposed to be pronounced Ber-wick, although it
seldom is.

The one in Pennsylvania always is.
Old June 29th 10, 04:51 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 27 June, 21:06, Ian Jelf wrote:

Not quite a place name but an American lady living in Britain on a tour
of mine once said she caused amusement among her new British friends by
always calling Sainsbury's "Sains - berry"; *apparently they ended up
calling it that, too!

I've never been able to work out how to pronounce Poughkeepsie. I
showed the conductor on the platform my ticket, and asked 'Is this the
train to this place'. He replied 'Poughkeepsie, yes', but very
quickly, and in a very strong accent, so I still couldn't make it out.
Old June 29th 10, 05:40 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 00:34:57 +0100, The Iron Jelloid
wrote:

The French kitchen equipment company Moulinex (which mum always said
should be pronounced "Moliknow") actually ran adverts where they
pronounced it "Moon-li-nex", because that was how most UK people said
it.

"Braun" shavers are similar, though the mispronunciation probably in
that case does the brand a bit of good if you think about it.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.
Old June 29th 10, 05:54 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

" Ditto Peugeot calling themselves "Perr-jo".

Sometimes it's just easier to accept that the natives of one country
will never learn to pronounce "foreign" words correctly, though it must
surely make people from the original country cringe to hear it.

Nokia

In the UK Knock-e-ah

In North America, No-key-ya.

Old June 29th 10, 07:29 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Once upon a time, Guy wrote:

Tourists and natives alike are asked in this country to pronounce the
new name for Abbey as San-tan-daire. I asked the staff whether they
would look at the cal-en-daire on the wall, and whether I could
ten-daire a 5 pound note. Sensible answers were prohibited by
management.

The French kitchen equipment company Moulinex (which mum always said
should be pronounced "Moliknow") actually ran adverts where they
pronounced it "Moon-li-nex", because that was how most UK people said
it.

Ditto Peugeot calling themselves "Perr-jo".

Ness-ll.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK