Old June 29th 10, 12:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Loogahgbaroogah

In message
Sam Wilson wrote:

In article ,
Graeme wrote:

In message
Sam Wilson wrote:

In article ,
Graham Murray wrote:

Josie writes:

On 27/06/2010 21:06, Ian Jelf wrote:
Edin - burrow (Edinburgh, as almost *always* pronounced by North
Americans)

Are any of them from Pitsburrow?

The Americans are no better, with Kansas and Arkansas. I wonder what
the reaction would be if a Brit were refer to Ar-Can-Zus while in the
USA.

If they were talking about the river that flows through Colorado or
Kansas, they'd be right, though the pronounciation changes when you get
downstream, apparently.

Not up in Leadville it doesn't (headwaters of the Arkansas river).

That's interesting - I have friends from Tennessee who moved to Arkansas
and said that where they were the river was pronounced as it is written,
not like the state. There's clearly some variation.

Clearly.

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Photo galleries at http://graeme-wall.fotopic.net/

Old June 29th 10, 12:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 08:01:28PM +0100, Graeme wrote:

There's a place on the Brighton Road, Slagham, that I've never found the
correct pronunciation for.

Slaugham is pronounced Sluffem according to the nice lady behind the bar
in the Chequers that I asked.

NB it's only claim to fame is the local pub, The Queen's Head, which features
Freddy Mercury on the sign.

And where is this Queen's Head?

--
David Cantrell | Bourgeois reactionary pig

Planckton: n, the smallest possible living thing
Old June 29th 10, 01:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:07:36 on Tue, 29 Jun
2010, d remarked:

Why do americans insist on calling britain "england"?

Maybe for the same reason Brits insist on calling the Netherlands
"Holland"?
Old June 29th 10, 01:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Chris Tolley (ukonline really) wrote in
:

I have always wondered why I've never seen a courge.

Une courge is a vegetable marrow. You don't see them very often these
days, but when I was young we grew them in a greenhouse along with
tomatoes. I believe the word is also used for the various sorts of
squashes and pumpkins, all of which are much the same thing, genetically
speaking.

Peter

--
| Peter Campbell Smith | Epsom | UK |
Old June 29th 10, 02:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Jeremy Double wrote:

many people pronounce Bologne as "Bolloin"

Boulogne? Bologna? balony?

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9683788.html
(150 238 at Llanelli, 30 Jun 1999)

Old June 29th 10, 03:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 09:24:16 +0100, Guy Gorton
wrote:

OTOH, in English we don't pronounce Paris as "Paree", many people
pronounce Bologne as "Bolloin", we've changed the name of München to
Munich, Köln to Cologne, ???????to Moscow, etc... so as far as I can see,
we can pronounce Santander any way we like in England.

Exactly! And I do. San-tandr in typical drop-the-last-bit English.

Do you do the same when you meet people with names that are not
pronounced as spelled? If someone asks me to say their name in a
certain way I try to be polite and do it, not insisting them accepting
my Anglicising it.
Old June 29th 10, 03:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Peter Campbell Smith wrote:

Chris Tolley (ukonline really) wrote in
:

I have always wondered why I've never seen a courge.

Une courge is a vegetable marrow. You don't see them very often these
days, but when I was young we grew them in a greenhouse along with
tomatoes. I believe the word is also used for the various sorts of
squashes and pumpkins, all of which are much the same thing, genetically
speaking.

Thanks. That's my learning for the day.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9683786.html
(150 222 at Cuddington, 28 Jun 2004)
Old June 29th 10, 03:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,

Peter Campbell Smith wrote:

Chris Tolley (ukonline really) wrote in
:

I have always wondered why I've never seen a courge.

Une courge is a vegetable marrow. You don't see them very often these
days, but when I was young we grew them in a greenhouse along with
tomatoes. I believe the word is also used for the various sorts of
squashes and pumpkins, all of which are much the same thing, genetically
speaking.

Thanks. That's my learning for the day.

Zucco is (I'm guessing) Italian for the same thing, a zucchino being a
small one and zucchini being plural small ones.

Sam
Old June 29th 10, 04:22 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:30:13 on Tue, 29
Jun 2010, Graeme remarked:
Why do americans insist on calling britain "england"?

Is that North Americans or South Americans?

Maybe for the same reason Brits insist on calling the Netherlands
"Holland"?

In the latter case it doesn't help that the Dutch tourist office refers to
the country as Holland.

http://www.enjoyengland.com/