Old August 24th 10, 12:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

In message
, at
01:47:19 on Tue, 24 Aug 2010, MIG
remarked:
But at the moment you can't get *to* the northern line on the direct
route from the Western/Original ticket halls, so it's still just
possible but only a very long way around (via the Piccadilly platforms
would be quickest).

Unless you take a chance on one of the short escalators being fixed
and walkable down. In fact, I think I'd try that and, if unlucky, get
the Victoria to Euston and change there. Still a better than
following the direction signs half way to Finsbury Park and back.

I would normally be wanting to take the City branch southbound, so going
via Euston is a long diversion.. and IIRC is a very long walk inside the
Euston passageways.

Old August 24th 10, 05:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
,
at 01:47:19 on Tue, 24 Aug 2010, MIG
remarked:
But at the moment you can't get *to* the northern line on the direct
route from the Western/Original ticket halls, so it's still just
possible but only a very long way around (via the Piccadilly
platforms
would be quickest).

Unless you take a chance on one of the short escalators being fixed
and walkable down. In fact, I think I'd try that and, if unlucky, get
the Victoria to Euston and change there. Still a better than
following the direction signs half way to Finsbury Park and back.

I would normally be wanting to take the City branch southbound, so
going via Euston is a long diversion.. and IIRC is a very long walk
inside the Euston passageways.

Actually it is cross platform interchange in that direction (SB Victoria
to SB Bank branch)

Peter Smyth

Old August 24th 10, 09:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 24 Aug, 18:46, "Peter Smyth" wrote:
[...]

Indeed, because one starts southbound on the Victoria and cross-
platforms to southbound on the Northern in the opposite direction.
Probably quicker and certainly less tiring than the walk that one is
directed to take at Kings Cross.

But even if one was going the other way on the Northern, it's a fairly
short walk over a bridge at the western end of the Victoria/Northern
platforms at Euston; no need to go up the escalators and back.
Old August 25th 10, 09:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
14:15:46 on Tue, 24 Aug 2010, MIG
remarked:
I would normally be wanting to take the City branch southbound, so
going via Euston is a long diversion.. and IIRC is a very long walk
inside the Euston passageways.

Actually it is cross platform interchange in that direction (SB Victoria
to SB Bank branch)

Indeed, because one starts southbound on the Victoria and cross-
platforms to southbound on the Northern in the opposite direction.
Probably quicker and certainly less tiring than the walk that one is
directed to take at Kings Cross.

But even if one was going the other way on the Northern, it's a fairly
short walk over a bridge at the western end of the Victoria/Northern
platforms at Euston; no need to go up the escalators and back.

Thanks both. I wonder what the long walk I'm remembering is - perhaps
Charing Cross Branch northbound to Victoria Line northbound.
Old August 25th 10, 09:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 25 Aug, 15:35, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 05:32:43
on Wed, 25 Aug 2010, remarked:

I wonder what the signs say as you emerge from the Khyber pass,
about getting to the Northern?

I thought the current route was via the Piccadilly escalator. Is the
access from the bottom to the Northern actually blocked off?

When I looked (about three weeks ago) the short escalators for the
Northern were all going "up", and the sets of stairs had gates drawn
across them.

It's worth a try though. The other weekend I took a chance on one of
the short escalators being fixed, and it turned out that it was.
Another time it was fixed, but the spoilsports had put a plastic
barrier across.