Old July 9th 10, 06:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Kings Cross Main line to Victoria Line?

On Jul 8, 12:52*pm, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
00:33:56 on Thu, 8 Jul 2010, Ganesh Sittampalam
remarked:

Another thing about Kings Cross - when you go to the old tube ticket
hall, there are signs saying "No entry to Northern Line". *However, if
you go through the barriers and down the escalator to the Victoria
line, there is a sign on the left saying "Northern Line". So despite
what it says, it IS possible to get to the Northern Line via the old
tube ticket hall.

That route involves going through the new set of tunnels associated
with the new ticket hall. It would be significantly longer overall
than just walking to the new ticket hall at the top level, and would
cause massive congestion if significant numbers of people did it.

The shortest route would be to run down the up escalators that go from
near the Piccadilly line to the Northern line, but I don't recommend
that either :-)

What's happened to the short flight of stairs to the Northern Line from
the bottom of the Victoria Line escalators?

That goes to the top of the escalators that are currently all in up/
off mode.

There are also some stairs+tunnel+stairs from near the Piccadilly line
to the southbound Northern line platform, but those are closed off at
the moment.

Ganesh

Old July 11th 10, 01:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 8, 12:52*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

What's happened to the short flight of stairs to the Northern Line from
the bottom of the Victoria Line escalators?

They're gated off while the lift to the Northern Line is being built.

I'm hoping that once that opens, some of the more circuitous routes
will be removed, but I'm not holding my breath...
Old July 11th 10, 06:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
06:06:15 on Sun, 11 Jul 2010, martin
remarked:
On Jul 8, 12:52*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

What's happened to the short flight of stairs to the Northern Line from
the bottom of the Victoria Line escalators?

They're gated off while the lift to the Northern Line is being built.

Thank you for posting some genuinely useful information.

I'm hoping that once that opens,

The lift? It's a considerable vertical distance and probably quite
small, only of use to genuine stair-inhibited passengers.

some of the more circuitous routes will be removed, but I'm not
holding my breath...

The Northern Line from the Northern Ticket Hall is an improvement. But
not from anywhere else (for example, arriving passengers on ECML)
Old August 23rd 10, 08:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 08/07/10 07:36, Paul wrote:

Another thing about Kings Cross - when you go to the old tube ticket
hall, there are signs saying "No entry to Northern Line". However, if
you go through the barriers and down the escalator to the Victoria
line, there is a sign on the left saying "Northern Line". So despite
what it says, it IS possible to get to the Northern Line via the old
tube ticket hall.

Sorry for reopening a rather old thread, but...

AIUI, one of the features of the redesign of Kings Cross St Pancras was
that no tube-to-tube transfer would involve passing through a gateline.
From that, it logically follows that you must be able to access all
lines from each of the three ticket halls -- if that weren't the case
then there must still be transfers that require you to walk between two
ticket halls, passing through two gatelines.

I today needed to get to the Circle/Metropolitan Line platforms from the
Kings Cross suburban platforms and I notice that the signage directs me
to the Western Ticket Hall (under St Pancras) rather than the Tube
Ticket Hall (the original one) but it reminded me of this thread and
made me wonder whether that is the best route, or whether there might be
a better route through the Tube Ticket Hall.

Is there a useful map of the underground complex available anywhere? I
find the maze of tunnels quite disorienting...

-roy

Old August 23rd 10, 08:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roy Badami" wrote in message

I today needed to get to the Circle/Metropolitan Line platforms from the
Kings Cross suburban platforms and I notice that the signage directs me to
the Western Ticket Hall (under St Pancras) rather than the Tube Ticket
Hall (the original one) but it reminded me of this thread and made me
wonder whether that is the best route, or whether there might be a better
route through the Tube Ticket Hall.

Is there a useful map of the underground complex available anywhere? I
find the maze of tunnels quite disorienting...

Don't think going via the tube ticket hall is any better, although you're
right, there is a paid side connection between tube and western ticket halls
now. IMHO the signage you followed is probably the sensible route

FCC's website has a 3D diagram and video:

http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk...iCmsPageId=497

Paul S

Old August 23rd 10, 08:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 23/08/10 21:19, Paul Scott wrote:

Don't think going via the tube ticket hall is any better, although
you're right, there is a paid side connection between tube and western
ticket halls now. IMHO the signage you followed is probably the sensible
route

FCC's website has a 3D diagram and video:

http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk...iCmsPageId=497

Thanks - that map is quite useful, although far from ideal.

If there is a route directly from the Tube Ticket Hall to the Met/Circle
platforms (that doesn't require running down an up escalator then it
looks like it would be quicker than the signposted route - if I'm not
misremembering I walked past the Tube Ticket Hall anyway to get to the
Western Ticket Hall (and the map seems to support that).

-roy
Old August 23rd 10, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article fuAco.172344$ss1.101128@hurricane, (Roy
Badami) wrote:

On 08/07/10 07:36, Paul wrote:

Another thing about Kings Cross - when you go to the old tube ticket
hall, there are signs saying "No entry to Northern Line". However, if
you go through the barriers and down the escalator to the Victoria
line, there is a sign on the left saying "Northern Line". So despite
what it says, it IS possible to get to the Northern Line via the old
tube ticket hall.

Sorry for reopening a rather old thread, but...

AIUI, one of the features of the redesign of Kings Cross St Pancras
was that no tube-to-tube transfer would involve passing through a
gateline. From that, it logically follows that you must be able
to access all lines from each of the three ticket halls -- if that
weren't the case then there must still be transfers that require
you to walk between two ticket halls, passing through two gatelines.

I today needed to get to the Circle/Metropolitan Line platforms
from the Kings Cross suburban platforms and I notice that the
signage directs me to the Western Ticket Hall (under St Pancras)
rather than the Tube Ticket Hall (the original one) but it reminded
me of this thread and made me wonder whether that is the best
route, or whether there might be a better route through the Tube
Ticket Hall.

Is there a useful map of the underground complex available
anywhere? I find the maze of tunnels quite disorienting...

If you're coming in from Cambridge on platforms 9-11 you might as well go
down into the Northern ticket hall and walk under Pancras Rd to the
Western. I don't think the surface alternatives are any better.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old August 23rd 10, 09:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roy Badami" wrote in message

Thanks - that map is quite useful, although far from ideal.

If there is a route directly from the Tube Ticket Hall to the Met/Circle
platforms (that doesn't require running down an up escalator then it
looks like it would be quicker than the signposted route - if I'm not
misremembering I walked past the Tube Ticket Hall anyway to get to the
Western Ticket Hall (and the map seems to support that).

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...pgrade-map.gif

Slightly clearer version of the diagram from TfL, but harder to find!

I think the difference is that the route via the tube ticket hall is
slightly shorter but feeds you into the very eastern end of the Circle/Met
platforms, whereas the other route can put you at the other end of those
platforms, which might be quieter. Maybe just suck it and see on the day...

Paul

Old August 23rd 10, 10:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message fuAco.172344$ss1.101128@hurricane, at 21:03:22 on Mon, 23
Aug 2010, Roy Badami remarked:
Sorry for reopening a rather old thread, but...

AIUI, one of the features of the redesign of Kings Cross St Pancras was
that no tube-to-tube transfer would involve passing through a gateline.

Perhaps, and if everything was open it might even be true.

From that, it logically follows that you must be able to access all
lines from each of the three ticket halls -- if that weren't the case
then there must still be transfers that require you to walk between two
ticket halls, passing through two gatelines.

Only in the extreme case that you would be prepared to make a very long
detour. Northern Hall to Circle/Met via one of the deep tube platforms,
for example.

But at the moment you can't get *to* the northern line on the direct
route from the Western/Original ticket halls, so it's still just
possible but only a very long way around (via the Piccadilly platforms
would be quickest).

I today needed to get to the Circle/Metropolitan Line platforms from
the Kings Cross suburban platforms and I notice that the signage
directs me to the Western Ticket Hall (under St Pancras) rather than
the Tube Ticket Hall (the original one) but it reminded me of this
thread and made me wonder whether that is the best route, or whether
there might be a better route through the Tube Ticket Hall.

I'd go into the northern ticket hall (but not through the barriers) then
down the passage to the original ticket hall, and then through the
barriers and turn right along the "Khyber pass" - the old way to the
eastern end of the platforms.

My map is he http://www.perry.co.uk/images/kx-composite.jpg
Old August 24th 10, 08:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 23 Aug, 23:17, Roland Perry wrote:
In message fuAco.172344$ss1.101128@hurricane, at 21:03:22 on Mon, 23
Aug 2010, Roy Badami remarked:

Sorry for reopening a rather old thread, but...

AIUI, one of the features of the redesign of Kings Cross St Pancras was
that no tube-to-tube transfer would involve passing through a gateline.

Perhaps, and if everything was open it might even be true.

From that, it logically follows that you must be able to access all
lines from each of the three ticket halls -- if that weren't the case
then there must still be transfers that require you to walk between two
ticket halls, passing through two gatelines.

Only in the extreme case that you would be prepared to make a very long
detour. Northern Hall to Circle/Met via one of the deep tube platforms,
for example.

But at the moment you can't get *to* the northern line on the direct
route from the Western/Original ticket halls, so it's still just
possible but only a very long way around (via the Piccadilly platforms
would be quickest).

Unless you take a chance on one of the short escalators being fixed
and walkable down. In fact, I think I'd try that and, if unlucky, get
the Victoria to Euston and change there. Still a better than
following the direction signs half way to Finsbury Park and back.