Old July 13th 10, 09:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Moscow Metro vs. London Underground

On 13/07/2010 19:14, Mizter T wrote:

I see a statue of Lenin fairly quite here in London, and from a train
no less - it's on the back of a workshop sandwiched between the
Walworth Road and the Elephant& Castle to Loughborough Jn/ Denmark
Hill railway line (the LCDR's City Branch, if anyone still calls it
that, aka the Thameslink route). You've got to be quick to catch it,
so I'm afraid any Cyrillic inscription thereon has evaded me thus far!

Ah, that's what it is. Every time I see him I mean to try to look it up...

So, anyone know how it got there, and why?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old July 13th 10, 09:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 13, 10:25*pm, Arthur Figgis
wrote:

On 13/07/2010 19:14, Mizter T wrote:

I see a statue of Lenin fairly quite here in London, and from a train
no less - it's on the back of a workshop sandwiched between the
Walworth Road and the Elephant& *Castle to Loughborough Jn/ Denmark
Hill railway line (the LCDR's City Branch, if anyone still calls it
that, aka the Thameslink route). You've got to be quick to catch it,
so I'm afraid any Cyrillic inscription thereon has evaded me thus far!

Ah, that's what it is. Every time I see him I mean to try to look it up....

So, anyone know how it got there, and why?

Yes(-ish), but then I'd have to kill you...
Old July 13th 10, 11:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13/07/2010 22:56, Mizter T wrote:

On Jul 13, 10:25 pm, Arthur
wrote:

On 13/07/2010 19:14, Mizter T wrote:

I see a statue of Lenin fairly quite here in London, and from a train
no less - it's on the back of a workshop sandwiched between the
Walworth Road and the Elephant& Castle to Loughborough Jn/ Denmark
Hill railway line (the LCDR's City Branch, if anyone still calls it
that, aka the Thameslink route). You've got to be quick to catch it,
so I'm afraid any Cyrillic inscription thereon has evaded me thus far!

Ah, that's what it is. Every time I see him I mean to try to look it up...

So, anyone know how it got there, and why?

Yes(-ish), but then I'd have to kill you...

.... and then edit him out of every photograph.
Old July 14th 10, 09:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Tristan Miller
writes
I just got back from a trip to Moscow. I made extensive use of the Metro
there and thought I'd post my observations on how it compares with the
London Underground.

Thanks for those observations. It's some years since I last went
there, but that's roughly how I remember it. Many of the stations were
really interesting to look at, the only problem being how to find a
place to stand gawping around without being pushed over in the rush of
people going past.

One thing you didn't mention: all the escalators run at least 50% faster
than the ones on the London underground, which is much more efficient,
but the speed didn't seem to cause anyone any trouble. Now that more
London stations are equipped with lifts that the elderly or disabled can
use as an alternative, I think there's a case for speeding some of ours
up as well.

--
Clive Page
Old July 14th 10, 10:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 10:25:24 +0100
Clive Page wrote:
One thing you didn't mention: all the escalators run at least 50% faster
than the ones on the London underground, which is much more efficient,
but the speed didn't seem to cause anyone any trouble. Now that more

They probably wear out faster too.

B2003

Old July 14th 10, 10:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 10:48:00 +0100
Ian Jelf wrote:
Thanks for those observations. It's some years since I last went
there, but that's roughly how I remember it. Many of the stations were
really interesting to look at, the only problem being how to find a
place to stand gawping around without being pushed over in the rush of
people going past.

One thing you didn't mention: all the escalators run at least 50%
faster than the ones on the London underground,

That seems to be an Eastern Bloc thing. Prague and Budapest are the
same.

A lot of stations/lines on these eastern bloc metros were originally designed
as nuclear bunkers and are very deep down. LU would normally have lifts
for stations that deep but they use escalators so I guess they have to go
faster otherwise you'd be on them for hours.

B2003

Old July 14th 10, 06:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13 July, 12:56, Tristan Miller
wrote:
Greetings.

I just got back from a trip to Moscow. *I made extensive use of the Metro
there and thought I'd post my observations on how it compares with the
London Underground.

Things I like better about the Moscow Metro:

* The trains seem to run a lot more frequently. *I used the system on both
weekends and weekdays, at various times of the day (morning and evening
rush hours, mid-afternoon, and late at night), and never had to wait more
than three minutes for a train, even if I arrived just as one was leaving
the platform.

* The stations are (famously) very beautifully decorated with marble,
columns, chandeliers, statues, reliefs, murals, etc.

* The stations are very spacious. *Even during the crowded rush hour in
central stations there was plenty of space to move around. *I was able to
walk quite fast in the crowds; there was no crunching or bottlenecks along
the platforms, though sometimes there was a bit of queuing at the
escalators.

* There is little or no visual advertising. *There were no posters on the
platforms or escalators, and inside the trains themselves there were
usually only a couple small recruitment posters next to the maps. *However,
some stations did play audio ads on the escalators.

* The pricing is simple: it's 26 RUB for each journey, regardless of
distance or number of interchanges.

* The stations look so clean! *In London many of the stations look very
grimy, particularly on the ceilings and far sides of the tunnels. *In
Moscow many of the stations are gleaming white everywhere.

* The platforms and trains don't seem to get as hot as London. *It was 30
degrees every day I was in Moscow, and yet travelling on the Metro wasn't
particularly uncomfortable. *(The buses, on the other hand, were terrible. *
Interestingly, instead of displaying the name of the next stop on the bus's
overhead LED display, it would display the internal and external
temperature. *The former would be as high as 40 degrees.)

* There seems to be a mobile phone signal in many stations I passed through
(maybe all of them -- I didn't check).

Things I like better about the London Underground:

* Our stations have countdown timers showing the destination of and time to
the next two or three trains. *(Though I'm particularly upset at the recent
penchant for installing advertising projectors right in front of them,
obscuring their view and thus making them completely useless from most
viewing angles.) *However, this would not be quite so advantageous in
Moscow, where the trains seem to run quite often and the lines don't tend
to split.

* LU stations have better station identification on the platforms: the
station name tends to be repeated conspicuously several times along both
sides of the tunnel, making it easy to tell at a glance through the train
windows where you are. *In most of the Moscow Metro stations I passed
through, there were only one or two station signs in the tunnels which
weren't visible from every car, or sometimes even from the platform. *If
you weren't listening carefully to the announcements, or counting stations,
then it was impossible to know where you were. *Even where signs were
posted, sometimes it was in a very stylized font that took a while to read.

Other observations:

* There was much more uniformed presence in the stations and on the trains. *
Station staff and militsiya were numerous and highly visible, though quite
bored-looking.

* The stations don't have entry gates or turnstyles. *The only defence
against fare-dodgers seemed to be some uniformed old women standing at the
entrance who would yell, "Aren't you ashamed of yourself!" at people who
passed through without a ticket.

If anyone else here has used both the London and Metro underground systems,
I'd be interested in hearing how you thought they compared.

Regards,
Tristan

--
* *_
* _V.-o * * * * Tristan Miller * * * * * *Space is limited

Here is Gants Hill station on the Central Line, reportedly "inspired"
by Moscow (but not as ornate!):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ga..._concourse.JPG
Old July 14th 10, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

That seems to be an Eastern Bloc thing. Prague and Budapest are the
same.

Do people still walk down them as in London?

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.
Old July 14th 10, 08:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Greetings.

In article , Paul Corfield
wrote:
How did you cope with the language? How readily is English recognised /
spoken?

Apart from my girlfriend and her friends, the locals I interacted with
spoke little or no English. Even the ones working in tourist spots (ticket
sellers at museums, food vendors near the Kremlin and Red Square, sales
clerks at GUM, waitresses at touristy restaurants, etc.) spoke no English
whatsoever, or at best only a few canned phrases. When ordering tickets,
I'd have to hold up the necessary number of fingers, and when ordering food
and drinks, I'd have to point to the item I wanted in the display case or
on the bilingual menu. Of course, I didn't really have that much
interaction with the locals as I was with my girlfriend most of the time;
it could be that my experiences are a statistical anomaly. In most other
Eastern European cities I've been to (St. Petersburg, Riga, Sofia, Varna,
Budapest, Prague) I found English (and German) more widely understood.

Regards,
Tristan

--
_
Old July 14th 10, 09:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 14, 8:55*pm, Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Neil Williams
writes

wrote:

That seems to be an Eastern Bloc thing. * Prague and Budapest are the
same.

Do people still walk down them as in London?

I don't recall them doing so (and I found it quite scary, at least at
first).

But I could be wrong. * I'll be interested to see what Moscow is like.

You've just committed yourself to a (short) write up!