Old August 2nd 10, 02:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Rucksacks worn on the tube

On Sun, Aug 01, 2010 at 05:06:40PM +0100, Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 01/08/2010 13:21, Tristan Miller wrote:
Exactly what disability causes people to walk slowly down the middle of a
narrow passageway? Is there some affliction that prevents them from
keeping to one side, thereby allowing faster-moving traffic to pass them?

Being really, seriously, even Americans would be shocked, overweight?

I'm a fatty and I manage to keep to one side or the other of a
passageway.

--
David Cantrell | Enforcer, South London Linguistic Massive

It wouldn't hurt to think like a serial killer every so often.
Purely for purposes of prevention, of course.

Old August 2nd 10, 02:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 09:16:45PM +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

Oh yes. It's the handbags (not cases) on wheels that stagger me. What
can you be carrying in a handbag that is so heavy that you need wheeled
assistance?

They're either smuggling plutonium or gold. Either way, you should
"inform a member of staff or a police officer".

--
David Cantrell | Bourgeois reactionary pig

For every vengeance, there is an equal and opposite revengeance.
-- Cartoon Law X
Old August 2nd 10, 02:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Tristan Miller
writes
Exactly what disability causes people to walk slowly down the middle of a
narrow passageway? Is there some affliction that prevents them from
keeping to one side, thereby allowing faster-moving traffic to pass them?
Or is "being inconsiderate of others" now classed as a disability?

I'm not disabled but am frequently confused by the use of the tube. In
this country we drive on the left, so it is normal to walk on the left,
but the escalators say stand on the right. Londoners who should know
better frequently go against the arrows and arrive on a platform from
the exit, confusing the tourists. What's the convention for walking
through those small passages that interlink platforms etc?
--
Clive

Old August 2nd 10, 03:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Mochilero
writes
I've lost count of the number of people I've come across (both on and off of
public transport) who can't even *see* the rucksack , let alone walking
sticks and crutches, when they're walking straight towards it. A single bump
can feel like a knife going in...

Now there a good point, have a knife (pointed and sharp) sticking out.
They see your rucksack then and give you plenty of space.
--
Clive

Old August 2nd 10, 03:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Brian Watson
writes
Some of us HAVE been trekking in Nepal.
Get over it.

Or, get back to Nepal until you have consideration for your fellow man.
--
Clive

Old August 2nd 10, 04:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 2, 3:44*pm, Clive wrote:

In message , Tristan Miller
writes:
Exactly what disability causes people to walk slowly down the middle of a
narrow passageway? *Is there some affliction that prevents them from
keeping to one side, thereby allowing faster-moving traffic to pass them?
Or is "being inconsiderate of others" now classed as a disability?

I'm not disabled but am frequently confused by the use of the tube. * In
this country we drive on the left, so it is normal to walk on the left,
but the escalators say stand on the right. [...]*

And? It's results in the same outcome, in that others can walk on the
left.

[...] Londoners who should know
better frequently go against the arrows and arrive on a platform from
the exit, confusing the tourists. [...]

Perhaps they do that because they *do* know better! (Many tourists are
readily confused anyhow - if Londoners had to alter all their
behaviours so as to avoid confusing tourists, nothing would happen in
London.)

[...]* What's the convention for walking
through those small passages that interlink platforms etc?

On the left, as with staircases.
Old August 2nd 10, 04:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 2, 4:26*pm, Clive wrote:

In message ,
Brian Watson writes:
Some of us HAVE been trekking in Nepal.
Get over it.

Or, get back to Nepal until you have consideration for your fellow man.

Interesting how you seem to *know* that Brian is one of the
inconsiderate ones!
Old August 2nd 10, 06:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 19:14:42 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010, d wrote:

I had to use the tube today and had the pleasure of some eejit wearing
a rucksack in front of me constantly swivelling it about and bumping
me. Happily I managed to get my own back when I got off the train by
just shoving past their rucksack and almost knocking them over but
shouldn't there be some sort of bylaw for not wearing huge rucksacks to
deal with these sorts of idiots who seem to think they're still
trecking in nepal even when squashed on the victoria line?

Yes, there should. Also people who roll their little rolly cases in the
tube passageways, and people who think that just having stepped off a
train is the right time to put their bag down and fiddle with it.

And also people who only start retrieving their ticket when they get to
a gate.

And people who think right in front of an entrance or the foot of an
escalator is the right place to stand in groups of a dozen and discuss
where to go.

And people who walk down the middle of a passageway, occupying the whole
thing, at a speed slower than intended by anyone else. Admittedly this
only applies to wide people and narrow passages, but this is London, and
that is a frequent combination.

Do we in fact need a taxonomy of intolerable underground behaviour?

People who walk the wrong way down the one-way passages of deep level
stations, and look offended when they barge into me simply because I hold
my line.

--
Fig
Old August 2nd 10, 07:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 2 Aug, 17:15, Mizter T wrote:
On Aug 2, 3:44*pm, Clive wrote:

In message , Tristan Miller
writes:
[...]

It generally makes sense to follow the arrows, but there are a couple
of notable exceptions.

At Bank, pretty well all signs must be ignored if possible, but Bank
is weird.

The wrong passageway that I would use would be the cross passageway at
Euston in the morning, at the level between the escalators. The one
slightly further north is filled both with people heading from the
mainline station to the City branch/Victoria Line and with people
trying to exit from the Charing Cross branch. The other one isn't
really used at all unless someone wanted to change from Victoria Line
to Charing Cross branch there.

(I don't understand why they don't avoid this crush by making both
escalators from the ticket hall two-way.)

Old August 2nd 10, 08:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Eric
writes
On 2010-08-01, Ian Jelf wrote:
Phew. Bit opinionated for me but.......hey, this is Usenet!

Happy travelling. ;-)

If this is Usenet (yes, I know, it is) then I should probably say that
the smiley will not get you out of being killfiled.

Not sure if the prospect of being killfiled is supposed to make me feel
in some way threatened or bothered. Plainly it won't! It might be a
first, though (unless others have done it for reasons of boredom!).

'Twas merely an observation. Killfiles and their like are for spammers
and trolls.

No, nobody said "delayed", not even me, but this went from specific
inconsiderate behaviour (rucksacks) to a list, which included things
which I know can be due to mobility problems. And nobody knows what goes
on in someone else's head, we only go on external evidence. You think I
have a chip on my shoulder - you might too if your partner frequently
came home crying because no-one would give her a seat and people pushed
her out of the way and ... . And that's why I am less than certain of
your (or anybody's) level of understanding.

Pleased to see you're less than certain" about what I think, rather than
assuming you *know* what I think.

I don't know what you think. I do know that I find insufficient evidence
in what you have written that you do understand what I am saying.

I stand by my view that few people would be harsh on someone with a
mobility impairment, even in crowded London. I do understand, though,
that some people's impairments are less than obvious (as people with
parking badges sometimes find out from "interested" passers-by).

Not necessarily deliberately harsh, just selfish and/or arrogant.

It is a fact of life, though, that London tends to be full of people in
a hurry, mingling with people not in a hurry (for reasons varying from
being mobility-impaired to being tourists) and they tend to chaff,
sometimes.

Chaff?

As for your partner being upset by people's actions,

Not their actions, the consequences of them, which is mostly pain!

that's unlikely to
change in the foreseeable future and only three courses of action are
open:

(1) Carry on being upset.

(2) Stop using public transport or

(3) The only real choice.......being more forceful. That's not
everyone's cup of tea but - given the innate undesirability of the
other two choices - it's the only one open to them.

The response to which has been known to be "aggressive compliance",
feigned deafness, or abuse.

Unlike many posters here, I post under a real name and am very easily
identifiable online! That makes me more careful and considered about
what I write, which in turn makes me only write things I can stand by.

There is, of course, no answer to that except to wonder why you thought
it necessary to say it.

Eric (which is my real name )