Old October 22nd 10, 08:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Closest Bus Stops on Same Route

Here's an odd one. I was on the 57 (possibly the 131) travelling from
South Wimbledon station towards Wimbledon station. The bus stopped at
the Wimbledon Theatre bus stop. I thought, I could get off here and go
to the Wibbas Down Inn.
Too late! The bus moved off and stopped around the corner in Sir Cyril
Black Way. I realised that I could get off here at the more southerly
entrance to The Wibbas Down Inn. And I did!
A pub with a bus stop at each entrance.

Old October 22nd 10, 06:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ken Wilshire wrote in article
October Half Term Challenge

On the 213 and 151 routes in North Cheam there is a bus stop
immediately either side of the A24 on the A2043 Malden Road and Cheam
Common Road.

The two westbound stops are less than 100m apart (haven't measured it
exactly but will do if necessary). Is this the record?

So, what is the shortest distance between two bus stops?

My entry would be the road past Richmond railway station. Northbound
"The Quadrant" and "Richmond Station" are very close, not sure about
the opposite direction.

--
Mike D

Old October 22nd 10, 06:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I measured it - from the end of the westerly stop to the front of the
easterly stop is 110m (ok - it felt like under 100m). The easterly
stop has no markings - it is nearly up to the traffic lights in the
first of three lanes at the mouth of the junction. The stop beyond
the junction was a bit further than I thought - maybe on the day I was
on it, it pulled up a bit early!

Fair enough - though in mitigation may I plead that I was trying to
measure between the 2 bus stop posts and flags[1]? If you are taking
the shortest distance between the cages[1] on the road (where there is a
cage) the answers will be different. IIRC TFL aim for a minimum of 33m
cage.

[1] I hope I've recalled the right terminology but in case I've
cocked-up by "cage" I mean the box painted on the road

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Old October 23rd 10, 09:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22 Oct, 19:40, "Robin" wrote:
[...]

Yes - they have just extended the cage of the westbound stop to at
least 33m in length and extended it towards the A24 junction - so the
gap literally has ootten shorter by the day (well once on one day) so
my bus didn't pull up short, it pulled up in the new boxed area...
Old October 23rd 10, 10:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 19:40:59 on Fri, 22
Oct 2010, Robin remarked:

I plead that I was trying to measure between the 2 bus stop posts and
flags

I was doing posts as well. And I've remembered two stops by Nottingham
Station which are very close: S4 & ME01

S4 only has a small (for Nottingham) number of buses stopping there, but
most of them also stop at ME01, plus a shedload more from S1-S3.

http://goo.gl/maps/GeM7

Interestingly, when the station is remodelled soon (not cancelled, just
toned down a bit), the "virtually all services" ME01 will be closer to
the ticket office than the segregated by general destination" stops
S1-S3, which are the ones almost all passengers use today. But perhaps
they'll also remodel the bus stops.

Old October 23rd 10, 10:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Michael R N Dolbear" wrote in message
Ken Wilshire wrote in article
October Half Term Challenge

On the 213 and 151 routes in North Cheam there is a bus stop
immediately either side of the A24 on the A2043 Malden Road and Cheam
Common Road.

The two westbound stops are less than 100m apart (haven't measured it
exactly but will do if necessary). Is this the record?

So, what is the shortest distance between two bus stops?

My entry would be the road past Richmond railway station. Northbound
"The Quadrant" and "Richmond Station" are very close, not sure about
the opposite direction.

If you mean where I think you mean, there isn't an equivalent stop in the
other direction

tim

Old October 23rd 10, 12:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

What generally is the shortest distance between any two fixed bus stops
anywhere within London Buses? What is the longest distance?
Old October 25th 10, 07:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 10:53:27 +0100, Ken Wilshire
wrote:
October Half Term Challenge

On the 213 and 151 routes in North Cheam there is a bus stop
immediately either side of the A24 on the A2043 Malden Road and Cheam
Common Road.

The two westbound stops are less than 100m apart (haven't measured it
exactly but will do if necessary). Is this the record?

[I've read whole thread so far]

I think there's a difference between stops close together on the same road
with no major junctions between them, like the one I'm about to describe,
and stops either side of big junctions, where the time to get to the other
stop may be long even though the distance is short, or there may be
different combinations of routes serving each.

On Boston Road, Hanwell, there's a northbound stop at Elthorne Park, and
another 110m north, flag to flag. The next stop after that is about 1200
metres away. Southbound stops are much more sensibly spaced.

There is a plan to relocate it to give gaps of 800 and 500 metres, subject
to consultation.

It happened because a zebra was built where one of the northbound stops
had been, so it was moved to the nearest feasible location without too
much thought about where other stops were.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at the
population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as walking.
Old October 26th 10, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

tim.... wrote

"Michael R N Dolbear" wrote
Ken Wilshire wrote

October Half Term Challenge

So, what is the shortest distance between two bus stops?

My entry would be the road past Richmond railway station.

Northbound
"The Quadrant" and "Richmond Station" are very close, not sure

about
the opposite direction.

If you mean where I think you mean, there isn't an equivalent stop in

the
other direction

In fact there is, I checked today when interchanging from 65 to 190 on
the way to Chiswick House.

Station side, ie on the way into Richmond.
stops E/D Richmond Station
stop F The Quadrant 135m on.

Opposite to station side, ie on the way out of Richmond

stop B George St
stop C The Quadrant after 200m
stop M Richmond Station after 100m

(This being my original entry).

--
Mike D

Old October 27th 10, 08:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
cj cj is offline

On Oct 23, 1:25*pm, "
wrote:
What generally is the shortest distance between any two fixed bus stops
anywhere within London Buses? What is the longest distance?

The X68 will do about 6 miles between scheduled stops from Norwood to
Waterloo...
~cj