Old February 18th 12, 08:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default German fare dodgers cause headache for public transportoperators - The Guardian

Neil Williams wrote:
On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 19:58:04 +0000, Alex Potter
wrote:
That's too simple, Lüko, and in any case, we don't talk to

strangers!

There is the similar barber shop variant, in which you are expected
to work out who is before you without a visible queue or asking.

That's easy; everyone is before you except those who came after you.

;-)

Old February 18th 12, 09:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

.net...
wrote:
That's too simple, Lüko, and in any case, we don't talk to

strangers!

There is the similar barber shop variant, in which you are expected to
work out who is before you without a visible queue or asking.

I just do a quick count at my local one man operated place...

Paul

Old February 18th 12, 12:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote in message
On 14/02/2012 06:29, Neil Williams wrote:
On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 21:11:39 +0000, "
wrote:
The Royal Mail has undertaken a redesign of its branches. Instead

of
queuing in a line, you take a number from a machine for the type of
service that you require and approach a counter when your number is

called.

The Swiss do that, and it's a good system as it means you can prepare
paperwork more easily while waiting.

Neil

I think that the Dutch and Germans also do that.

They do it flipping everywhere they can think of in Sweden. I even used to
make the joke that it was so prevalent they did it in the supermarket when
you queued up with your trolley to pay - until one day I visited a
supermarket that did exactly that!

tim

Old February 18th 12, 01:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:
That's too simple, Lüko, and in any case, we don't talk to

strangers!

There is the similar barber shop variant, in which you are expected to
work out who is before you without a visible queue or asking.

Is there a rule about (not) asking?

I break that every time!

tim

Old February 18th 12, 01:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
On Feb 5, 2:23 pm, Ross-a-travelling wrote:

They don't?!

Not to the extent that people do in the UK, where they are an entirely
optional aid to pedestrianism, to be used only when the traffic is too
heavy not to use them.

And only after making sure that there's not a policeman watching - one of my
(then) colleagues was ticketed for the offence whilst working there

tim

Old February 18th 12, 02:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:
The Royal Mail has undertaken a redesign of its branches. Instead
of
queuing in a line, you take a number from a machine for the type of
service that you require and approach a counter when your number is
called.

The Swiss do that, and it's a good system as it means you can prepare
paperwork more easily while waiting.

Neil

I think that the Dutch and Germans also do that.

They do it flipping everywhere they can think of in Sweden. I even used to
make the joke that it was so prevalent they did it in the supermarket when
you queued up with your trolley to pay - until one day I visited a
supermarket that did exactly that!

tim

I would think that they are using automatic checkout points now, as they
do here in England.
Old February 18th 12, 03:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"tim...." schreef

: They do it flipping everywhere they can think of in Sweden. I even used
: make the joke that it was so prevalent they did it in the supermarket when
: you queued up with your trolley to pay - until one day I visited a
: supermarket that did exactly that!

At the station in Stockholm, I was asked to take a queue ticket even though
there was no queue ...

Colin Youngs
Brussels

Old February 19th 12, 02:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Bruce schrieb:

Not just in Britain, then!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/02/german-fare-dodgers-public-transport

German fare dodgers cause headache for public transport operators

Vienna action instead of German whining:

http://www.wienerlinien.at/eportal/e...ontentId/25239

Hans-Joachim
Old February 19th 12, 02:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

tim.... schrieb:

And only after making sure that there's not a policeman watching - one of my
(then) colleagues was ticketed for the offence whilst working there

That's absolutely correct that way: If he was blind enough not to see the
policeman, he won't have seen kids either, so everything as it should be.

Motorcycle riders in Germany, notorious for their disobedience, call the
the boys and girls in blue "Rennleitung".

Hans-Joachim
Old February 19th 12, 09:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote in message
wrote:
[...]

Yeah there was some of those on my last visit.

They were as poorly used as they are in GB

tim

Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control - Guardian/Observer Bruce[_2_] London Transport 130 July 10th 12 07:52 PM
Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control - Guardian/Observer Neil Williams London Transport 3 July 2nd 12 10:09 AM
fare dodgers Paul Corfield London Transport 48 February 21st 07 09:16 PM
fare dodgers Dave A London Transport 0 February 10th 07 12:45 PM
fare dodgers stevo London Transport 0 February 10th 07 12:10 PM