Old February 7th 12, 02:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default LU jobsworths

"Mizter T" wrote in message ...

"michael adams" wrote:

wrote::
As expected, the ticket machines wouldn't accept cash.

Perhaps I'm just an optimist but I had assumed they'd worked.

Eh ? You just posted this -

"As usual ticket machines not accepting cash so go to ticket window:"

In an ideal world "everything would work", "everyone would agree
with everybody else". "there would be enough of everything
to go round", and everybody would be happy" blah blah blah.

But life's not like that, is it ?

In such circumstances, unless you're stony broke and have no choice
in the matter, going anywhere with just £4.80 in cash in your
pocket is just dumb.

I've have to chip in and disagree strongly with the above.

My apologies, Your Majesty.

michael adams

Old February 7th 12, 02:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
"Mizter T" wrote:

I've seen it suggested that the GBP5 minimum Oyster top-up rule wasn't
necessarily all that popular among some staff (seen as sidelining ticket
offices etc) - I think some at least initially ignored it - maybe overly
strict adherence to it is an alternative form of protest for a few?
Though I imagine that it must be a qualified rule, with exemptions for
situations such as when none of the ticket machines are accepting cash
(a situation that itself shouldn't be allowed to occur often).

Indeed - the RMT were dead against it as they want more ticket windows
and they also said it discriminates against poor people. This may well
be the first recorded instance where Boltar and the RMT speak as one.

There are exemptions says TFL:

'The £5 limit will not apply to passengers clearing negative balances,
child Oyster photocards or cards with a valid discount entitlement.'

E.
Old February 7th 12, 02:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 15:35:27 +0000
eastender wrote:
Indeed - the RMT were dead against it as they want more ticket windows
and they also said it discriminates against poor people. This may well
be the first recorded instance where Boltar and the RMT speak as one.

God help me. But then even a broken clock is correct twice a day. (The clock
being the RMT naturally, not yours truly - I am the atomic clock of precision
debate!)

B2003

Old February 7th 12, 05:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
eastender wrote:
'The £5 limit will not apply to passengers clearing negative balances,
child Oyster photocards or cards with a valid discount entitlement.'

I wish it didn't apply when adding a travel voucher (e.g. compensation
from a delayed journey) to your oyster.

--
Mike Bristow

Old February 7th 12, 05:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message ...
On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 14:18:27 -0000
"michael adams" wrote:
Perhaps I'm just an optimist but I had assumed they'd worked.

Eh ? You just posted this -

"As usual ticket machines not accepting cash so go to ticket window:"

Like I said, I was being optimistic. And which bit of me not knowing about
the 5 quid rule didn't you understand? I haven't used the tube to commute
on a regular basis for about 3 years so why would I?

What's commuting on a regular basis got to do with anything ?
You regularly post your whinges about your experiences on LU
which would seem to suggest an occasional need to top up your
Oyster Card. Your unfamiliarity with the rule in question
therefore must be the result of your normally topping it
up by amounts in excess of £4.99. Whereas on this occasion for
some reason you chose to try and use the change from your
sandwich purchase.

In an ideal world "everything would work", "everyone would agree
with everybody else". "there would be enough of everything
to go round", and everybody would be happy" blah blah blah.

It doesn't require an ideal world for LU to fix their ****ing ticket machines.
Just competant management.

In such circumstances, unless you're stony broke and have no choice
in the matter, going anywhere with just £4.80 in cash in your
pocket is just dumb.

I'd already bought something else. So what? Have you never heard of cards?
This is 2012 , not 1970.

Johnny Jobsworth - i.e somebody with a job he/she needs to hold onto,
in order to put a crust on the table.

Cue violins...

Esther Rantzen regularly got top ratings and so had no fear of losing her
job. What's your excuse I wonder ?

Your grammer is perfect but you're making no sense whatsoever. Are you a bot?

That £4.80 cash sounds mighty suspicious to me. Some sort of daily allowance
maybe ?

No , its what known as "change". Now you get that when you go to a shop and
buy stuff like , oh sandwiches, for a tenner. Hasn't your carer explained all
this to you?

But why didn't you use your card ? Why pay cash when you could use
your card ?

I quote -

"Have you never heard of cards? This is 2012 , not 1970."

If you'd used your card to pay the £5.10 for the sandwiches instead of
using your solitary £10 note, then that would have given you
greater, if still somewhat limited, flexibility, later on.

No it isn't. It saves Guardian reading tickets clerks from having
to agonise for minutes on end over whether to use their discretion
in particular circumstances.

Well admittedly if they're Guardian readers then any common sense decision will
be difficult since anyone who reads that sorry rag generally doesn't have any.
But one lives in hope.

In any case if your attitude on this NG is in any way typical of
your approach to LU staff, then I'd be surprised if any would ever
be tempted to show you any discretion under any circumstances.

Being pleasant with him didn't work. Next time I won't bother.

You didn't smile at him, did you ?

So you'd stil be moaning, whatever the rule.

All I'll say is - thank god for cars.

And for the Congestion Charge, presumably.

michael adams

B2003

Old February 7th 12, 09:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , michael adams
writes
wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 13:41:04 -0000
"michael adams" wrote:
As expected, the ticket machines wouldn't accept cash.

Perhaps I'm just an optimist but I had assumed they'd worked.

Eh ? You just posted this -
"As usual ticket machines not accepting cash so go to ticket window:"
In an ideal world "everything would work", "everyone would agree
with everybody else". "there would be enough of everything
to go round", and everybody would be happy" blah blah blah.
But life's not like that, is it ?
In such circumstances, unless you're stony broke and have no choice
in the matter, going anywhere with just £4.80 in cash in your
pocket is just dumb.

Thank you. I rarely carry any more than £1 in cash and very often
nothing at all.
Whatever the circumstances.

As above.
You're aware of a notice saying that the ticket office clerk
couldn't accept less than £5 for Oyster top ups.

Actually I wasn't until he pointed to the tiny notice because I hardly ever
top up using small amounts of cash at the ticket window.
You're also presumably aware of the fact that this applies to all Oyster
Top-Ups made at ticket offices however funded.

You presume wrong.
to yourself, you still decided leave the house with only £4.80 in
cash.

Leaving home with £4:80 sounds like spare change, so why not?
Well since I only need to make one journey and I had enough money I assumed
it would be quicker to pay by cash but Johnny Jobsworth

Johnny Jobsworth - i.e somebody with a job he/she needs to hold onto,
in order to put a crust on the table. Unlike yourself and Esther Rantzen.
Esther Rantzen regularly got top ratings and so had no fear of losing her
job. What's your excuse I wonder ?

Esther Rantzen is a hypocrite. She made a pile out of running down
firms that chase you to get you to make a claim. Now she advertises
for the same firm.
That £4.80 cash sounds mighty suspicious to me. Some sort of daily allowance
maybe ?

Kids with pocket money or young people on the dole, or indeed anyone on
basic wage needs to ration their daily allowance otherwise the wouldn't
get through the week with food, paying the rent, eating and heating the
house etc.
had other ideas.
So he ended up causing what the rule he was following was designed to
prevent.
I'm fairly sure the irony was lost on him however.
And this is somehow all LU's fault.

There is no good reason that I can see other than sheer awkwardness if
there is no queue.
Not somehow, its precisely LU's fault - not having working machines and
instigating a stupid rule. If the rule was any top-ups under 5 quid must be
cash only then fair enough , but to ban ANY top-ups under 5 quid at the
window is just bureaucracy taken to adsurd limits.

If window clerks aren't allowed to use their discretion, they might as
well be replaced by machines which when they fail gives you a free trip.
Find something in Tesco wrongly marked, pay for it, then take it to the
customer services, you'll get a full refund and keep the product, that's
how customer service should work.
No it isn't. It saves Guardian reading tickets clerks from having
to agonise for minutes on end over whether to use their discretion
in particular circumstances.
In any case if your attitude on this NG is in any way typical of
your approach to LU staff, then I'd be surprised if any would ever
be tempted to show you any discretion under any circumstances.

If you're easily upset or annoyed at other people then you shouldn't be
working with the public but in another job.
So you'd stil be moaning, whatever the rule.

--
Clive
Old February 7th 12, 10:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive" wrote in message
In message , michael adams
writes
wrote in message ...
On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 13:41:04 -0000
"michael adams" wrote:
As expected, the ticket machines wouldn't accept cash.
Perhaps I'm just an optimist but I had assumed they'd worked.

Eh ? You just posted this -
"As usual ticket machines not accepting cash so go to ticket window:"
In an ideal world "everything would work", "everyone would agree
with everybody else". "there would be enough of everything
to go round", and everybody would be happy" blah blah blah.
But life's not like that, is it ?
In such circumstances, unless you're stony broke and have no choice
in the matter, going anywhere with just £4.80 in cash in your
pocket is just dumb.

Thank you. I rarely carry any more than £1 in cash and very often nothing at all.

If you very often carry no cash at all, why would you bother
carrying any at all, even £1's worth ? And where do you get this change
from ? Do you borrow it from the wife and kids, who presumably do
carry cash, just so as to carry the odd bit of change about.
Even though you have no actual need of it ?

michael adams

Clive

Old February 7th 12, 10:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

We were about to embark at Dover, when d () came up
to me and whispered:

If there's a ****wits-R-Us job agency they must be making a
mint on the
commision for getting their candidates work at LU.

I believe they are called check4jobs.com

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

---- If it's below this line, I didn't write it ----
Old February 8th 12, 02:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , michael adams
writes
If you very often carry no cash at all, why would you bother
carrying any at all, even £1's worth ? And where do you get this change
from ? Do you borrow it from the wife and kids, who presumably do
carry cash, just so as to carry the odd bit of change about.
Even though you have no actual need of it ?

I live in a small town that you've probably never heard of. Parking is
normally either on street with a parking disc, "Like a small cardboard
clock, you set it to the next complete quarter hour and put it in your
windscreen so the traffic wardens can see how long you've been there,
it's free for an hour". Alternately I'll park in a supermarket car
park if that is where I am going. It may surprise you, but they don't
charge either.
Sometimes if the weather is good I may go by bus, being retired, I have
a bus pass, again free. If I want to buy anything, although it's just
a small town, technology has got this far and I can use a Debit card in
every shop I use. I can even use it in Costa, but Morrissons is just
as good and less than half the price.
I do understand that Londoners rush around like headless chickens, in
the 60s I worked on the tube (on the trains, Northern then Central
lines) so I have personal experience. I have also been caught in a
traffic jam on the M25 at 05:55. I come down there now and again to
visit friends and a relative and so I also have an oyster card for use
there.
I wouldn't attempt to judge you, I don't know who you are or any of your
circumstances. Likewise, I think it foolish to judge anyone who's
means none of us have any way of knowing. Oh, before I forget, both my
children are adults with children of their own, if there is any
borrowing to be done it's by them from me.
--
Clive