Old June 14th 12, 11:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube Wifi

Mizter T wrote:

If they have a contract UK mobile with inclusive minutes (or a PAYG plan
that offers something similar), then calling from their mobile to yours
wouldn't incur extra expense. That's an *if* though, and there are other
factors such as availability of decent mobile reception for both the
calling and called parties.

My mobile is on and can be called all day, all week except for the 3 hours
a week I presently spend on aircraft.

I would be available to answer my landline for about 24-48 hours a week
max, usually less than that.

That convenience is most likely worth the extra few pence. As I have
unlimited minutes, anyone who wants a call back so they aren't charged can
have one. For international calls from abroad, the cost difference between
calling a UK mobile or landline is minimal, and surprisingly used to be
nothing at all!

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.

Old June 14th 12, 11:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Of course when (not if for most people) you lose your phone you'll be
completely screwed until you get a replacement and give everyone your new
number.

Why would I need to get a new number? I would have the old SIM blocked and
a new one issued with the old number.

A lot of people don't do that, but they are just being lazy. I have had
the same mobile number since 1998 and barring any prefix changes will
ensure I keep it.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.
Old June 14th 12, 11:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

The SIM might be useless but you could still have given away or sold 400 quids
worth of phone and then claimed you lost it and got a free replacement.
Even if they block the IMEI number most smartphones can still use wifi.

Who said you get a free phone? You would have to obtain a new one the same
way you would if you didn't get a new number, either by buying one (as I
did when I broke a phone mid contract) or you insure it and claim on your
insurance.

Uninsured, it was the same as buying a new one without a contract, you buy
a PAYG one for the network you have a contract with and put the SIM in it.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.
Old June 14th 12, 11:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:41:38 on Thu, 14 Jun
2012, Mizter T remarked:
The cost to me of subsidising callers is a fixed mnthly rental, and
incoming calls are free.

The cost to others of subsidising me not having a landline varies, but
is normally an extra cost per minute on the calls (to my mobile).

If they have a contract UK mobile with inclusive minutes (or a PAYG
plan that offers something similar), then calling from their mobile to
yours wouldn't incur extra expense. That's an *if* though, and there
are other factors such as availability of decent mobile reception for
both the calling and called parties.

The callers I have in mind are from landlines, often not in the UK.

Even inclusive minutes aren't "free" if they exceed the monthly amount
by calling me, and their calls to everyone else suddenly become
40p/minute (or whatever).

Or were you thinking they might, by complete co-incidence, be on the
same mobile provider as me and have unlimited minutes?

Old June 14th 12, 11:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Mizter T) wrote:

On 13/06/2012 17:32,
wrote:

In o.uk,
(David Cantrell) wrote:

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 10:07:51AM -0500,
wrote:

Even if you were in a cabled area you'd have to pay for a Virgin
Media landline even if you didn't use it.

These days they'll sell you interweb without phone service.

Evidence?

VM broadband:
http://store.virginmedia.com/broadband/compare-broadband/index.html

VM phone line:

http://store.virginmedia.com/phone/p...ibre-optic/ind
ex.html

Solo broadband is cheaper than taking broadband & phone line - yes,
VM do discount the broadband if you take a phone line as well, but
the total cost is still more. As ever, they'd prefer it if you took a
bundle and so both price and market their services accordingly -
disentangling the costs can take a bit of work.

However I'm pretty sure that when VM started offering solo broadband,
the cost was equivalent to a broadband + phone line bundle.

Gosh! I'm paying a whole 40p a month more than the broadband-only price
there for my broadband plus phone.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old June 14th 12, 11:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14 Jun 2012 11:27:08 GMT
Neil Williams wrote:
wrote:

The SIM might be useless but you could still have given away or sold 400

quids
worth of phone and then claimed you lost it and got a free replacement.
Even if they block the IMEI number most smartphones can still use wifi.

Who said you get a free phone? You would have to obtain a new one the same

Whoever it was who said you could get a replacement at an O2 shop.

B2003

Old June 14th 12, 11:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:42:10 on Thu, 14 Jun
2012, d remarked:
Who said you get a free phone? You would have to obtain a new one the same

Whoever it was who said you could get a replacement at an O2 shop.

That was a replacement SIM.