Old June 27th 12, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube Wifi

In message , at 12:56:44
on Wed, 27 Jun 2012, David Cantrell remarked:
Yes, but I expect it costs them more to redirect a geographic like that.
Depends on the number. It would be cheaper (for the recipient) to have
a geographic number going to the "wrong" place than to have an 0800
number,

Isn't the alternative here an 0845?

I forget exactly what the rates were, and I know that revenue sharing
has changed a bit since. Wikipedia says that revenue share only exists
on 0844 these days, not 0845.

Revenue share gets a bad press, but isn't the sole reason for the extra
cost of non-geographic numbers, or indeed involved in the cost of "out
of area" geographic numbers that you mentioned a few turns upthread.

I suspect OFCOM is trying to get the price of 0845 to be genuinely the
same as a local call, in which case the issue shifts to whether 0845 is
counted in local call *bundles*.

It's a game of whack-a-mole, and all it ever does is shift the earning
potential from one entry on the pricelist to another (as we've seen with
mobiles over the last year or two).

Old June 27th 12, 11:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I have never had a telephone in this flat as I my mobile plan is more
than suitable and I can pay pennies to call abroad via Skype from my
Internet connection.

Same here. In a cable area, so no need for a landline at all. DSL is way
slower than cable anyway.