Old July 3rd 12, 10:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The dangleway

Paul Corfield wrote:

According to a tweet from Tom Edwards of BBC London the dangleway will
open at midday on Friday 28 June 2012. I imagine Boris will be doing
his stuff in the morning.

Oyster fare is £3.20 (I assume on PAYG). £4.30 cash.

Frequent flyers pay £16 for 10 rides.

I took a "flight" on this on Sunday and reading this thread I've come to the
conclusion that either the information at the terminals is poor and the
staff badly trained, or PAYG isn't acually valid. The staff were telling
people they all had to get boarding passes and the machines are very
difficult to navigate on your own if you're trying to find the reduced rate.
There was nothing I could see that said one could just bypass ticket office
and board using an Oyster.

In the end I did get a return fare at £3.20 each way (there doesn't seem to
be a return discount built into the system) which included having to verify
my Oyster on the machine pad but purely for the purposes of proving I hold
one.

So as far as I can see the Oyster fare is primarily just a discount for
those who present a valid card when purchasing a ticket and you still have
to pay with cash or credit/debit card. And you still get paper tickets,
sorry boarding passes, issued. Okay the first one could be a nice souvenir
(the barrier returned the ticket) but after that they become litter.

The Frequent Flyer discount is presumably a multi-use boarding pass that
regulars will get used to buying. Otherwise there's a lot of tourist tax
about the whole thing.

--
My blog: http://adf.ly/4hi4c

Old July 3rd 12, 10:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 11:05:35 +0100
"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote:
The Frequent Flyer discount is presumably a multi-use boarding pass that
regulars will get used to buying. Otherwise there's a lot of tourist tax
about the whole thing.

Its fairly obvious its just a glorified fairground ride. It serves no useful
public transport purpose , its just a way to get a view of the thames.
Perhaps this is the best we can expect in new crossings since the beckton
road bridge across the thames was ditched.

B2003

Old July 3rd 12, 12:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Its fairly obvious its just a glorified fairground ride. It serves no useful
public transport purpose , its just a way to get a view of the thames.
Perhaps this is the best we can expect in new crossings since the beckton
road bridge across the thames was ditched.

I think you're likely right. This, of course, begs the question of why
my council tax is being spent subsidising a tourist attraction.

--
Mike Bristow

Old July 3rd 12, 01:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 13:40:48 +0100
Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
Its fairly obvious its just a glorified fairground ride. It serves no useful
public transport purpose , its just a way to get a view of the thames.
Perhaps this is the best we can expect in new crossings since the beckton
road bridge across the thames was ditched.

I think you're likely right. This, of course, begs the question of why
my council tax is being spent subsidising a tourist attraction.

Probably another shiny toy to go alongside Boris's daft bus that he can
point at in his dotage and say "I did that" regardless of the money wasted
on it that could have been a lot better spent elsewhere. Still, at least
these toys provide some amusement to the public unlike all the moronic
causes-of-the-week that Ken used to waste tax money on.

B2003

Old July 4th 12, 09:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 19:03:41 +0100, Mizter T
wrote:

---quote---
5+ Reward

If you use Oyster to pay as you go for 5 or more Emirates Air Line
journeys in a calendar week (Sunday to Saturday), you'll get the 5+
Reward. The 5+ Reward is 50 per cent off the total price paid for 5
journeys or more during a week.
[...continues...]
---quote---

Bad TfL... weeks don't [generally] start on a Sunday [here].

Richard.
Old July 4th 12, 11:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

---quote---
5+ Reward

If you use Oyster to pay as you go for 5 or more Emirates Air Line
journeys in a calendar week (Sunday to Saturday), you'll get the 5+
Reward. The 5+ Reward is 50 per cent off the total price paid for 5
journeys or more during a week.
[...continues...]
---quote---

Bad TfL... weeks don't [generally] start on a Sunday [here].

Hmm, the Western tradition is that the week starts on a Sunday.
Calendars that adhere to this still have the capacity to throw me though...