Old June 21st 12, 06:51 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cantrell View Post
On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 01:42:30PM +0100, Robin9 wrote:

The conversation was very interesting and drew a varied response
from the listeners. One point which came up repeatedly was that
of all the transport workers, bus drivers will experience the most
stress during the Olympics and that if train drivers receive a bonus,
so should bus drivers.

Any bus passengers have a view on this?

Yes. I hope they don't get their bonus, and that they strike during the
Olympics. I hope that as a consequence thousands of people - both
spectators and participants - miss their events. Why? Well, I've paid
for the damned games, and I want to get some entertainment out of it.
Black humour is always better when it contain a grain of truth.

Three bus companies are so reluctant to pay a bonus to their staff
- even when the bonus is financed by the tax payer - that they have
obtained an injunction from the High Court banning the strike. This of
course increases the chances of a strike taking place during the Olympics.

Old June 22nd 12, 08:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bus Drivers And The Olympics

On 16/06/2012 13:42, Robin9 wrote:
I've just been listening to Ken Livingstone and Steve Norris
on LBC chatting about the possible bus drivers' strike

Reduce working hours per driver (say 3 days a week), reducing the stress
and employ more drivers all on part time or job share basis.

Or sack the more vociferious idiots and give the others the pay increase
together with longer working hours.

Or.... line them up in front of their families and ....

--
Adrian C

Old June 25th 12, 04:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 07:51:31PM +0100, Robin9 wrote:
David Cantrell;131512 Wrote:
Any bus passengers have a view on this?

Yes. I hope they don't get their bonus, and that they strike during
the Olympics. I hope that as a consequence thousands of people - both
spectators and participants - miss their events. Why? Well, I've paid
for the damned games, and I want to get some entertainment out of it.

Black humour is always better when it contain a grain of truth.

I'm not joking.

--
David Cantrell | Godless Liberal Elitist

"There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza."
"WHAT MAKES YOU SAY THERE IS A HOLE IN YOUR BUCKET?"
Old June 25th 12, 09:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Cantrell wrote:

Any bus passengers have a view on this?
Yes. I hope they don't get their bonus, and that they strike during
the Olympics. I hope that as a consequence thousands of people - both
spectators and participants - miss their events. Why? Well, I've paid
for the damned games, and I want to get some entertainment out of it.

Black humour is always better when it contain a grain of truth.

I'm not joking.

I've paid for Trident, and I want to get some entertainment out of it.
Tehran seems a bit surplus to requirements, no?
Old June 26th 12, 12:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Cantrell wrote:
Any bus passengers have a view on this?
Yes. I hope they don't get their bonus, and that they strike during
the Olympics. I hope that as a consequence thousands of people - both
spectators and participants - miss their events. Why? Well, I've paid
for the damned games, and I want to get some entertainment out of it.
Black humour is always better when it contain a grain of truth.

I'm not joking.

I've paid for Trident, and I want to get some entertainment out of it.
Tehran seems a bit surplus to requirements, no?

There are quite a few crucial differences. Amongst the biggest is that
the Olympics are actually supposed to be fun.

Featu an incorrectly implemented bug

Old June 26th 12, 02:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Cantrell wrote:
Any bus passengers have a view on this?
Yes. I hope they don't get their bonus, and that they strike during
the Olympics. I hope that as a consequence thousands of people - both
spectators and participants - miss their events. Why? Well, I've paid
for the damned games, and I want to get some entertainment out of it.
Black humour is always better when it contain a grain of truth.
I'm not joking.

I've paid for Trident, and I want to get some entertainment out of it.
Tehran seems a bit surplus to requirements, no?

There are quite a few crucial differences. Amongst the biggest is that
the Olympics are actually supposed to be fun.

But big bangs are fun !

Nick
Old June 27th 12, 03:37 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Boris the bungler has stirred things up by on the one hand
demanding that bus drivers give up their dispute and on the
other giving Boris-bike workers a £500.00 Olympic bonus!
I do hope someone asks him why bike workers deserve a better
deal that bus drivers. Boris the buffoon is given too easy a ride
by radio and TV interviewers. I'd like to see someone give him
a good grilling.
Old June 28th 12, 04:42 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

On "You And Yours" today, they had a report about foreign visitors
coming for the Olympics. Apparently hotel bookings so far are much
lower than anticipated and it now looks as if the numbers coming
will be way, way lower than predicted. This of course will be good
news for people travelling by public transport but it will not reduce
the consequences of Olympic lanes.
Old June 28th 12, 10:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin9 wrote on 28 June 2012
17:42:23 ...
On "You And Yours" today, they had a report about foreign visitors
coming for the Olympics. Apparently hotel bookings so far are much
lower than anticipated and it now looks as if the numbers coming
will be way, way lower than predicted. This of course will be good
news for people travelling by public transport but it will not reduce
the consequences of Olympic lanes.

Yes, it will. If (and I doubt this) there are fewer visitors, there
will be less traffic in the general traffic lanes, hence less congestion.
--
Richard J.

Old June 29th 12, 09:48 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

It has been assumed by TfL and others that this will be a "public transport
Olympic Games." I understand that no car parks have been created for this
reason. It is therefore unlikely that many foreign visitors will travel by car and
consequently a reduction in foreign visitors will have little impact on traffic
congestion.