Old August 23rd 12, 12:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Underground Maps Unravelled

wrote:

And how much does it cost you a month? My PAYG costs are currently about a
fiver.

About 15 quid I think. But I use it loads. Only haven't gone on contract
because of laziness.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.

Old August 23rd 12, 09:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21/08/2012 10:18, Neil Williams wrote:
wrote:

Is there a metro system in the world that isn't turn up and go?

Merseyrail on a Sunday. The S Bahn Stuttgart.

Neil

Glasgow Subway on a Sunday?
Old August 23rd 12, 09:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,nyc.transit

wrote:

Is there a metro system in the world that isn't turn up and go?

Merseyrail on a Sunday. The S Bahn Stuttgart.

You might have had a fair wait at Shoreditch if you weren't careful.

I'm pretty certain events-only stations exist at places like sports
stadia. I think Ulm has a tram branch to a conference centre. Depending
what counts as a metro, I think there are S-bahn branded rail services
which are hourly, perhaps even every 2 h, which might catch out someone
who is used to a Berlin-style operation. Southern "metro" services to
Epsom Downs are hourly, although I'm not sure I have ever heard anyone
outside Southern use the term.

The New York City Subway has an events-only station at Aqueduct
Racetrack on the Rockaway Line. The station has a northbound only
platform and trains call there only on racing days.

The Staten Island Railway also had the Richmond County Bank Ballpark,
which actually operated on what is now the defunct North Shore Branch.
The station operated during the June to September, but operated only
between 2001 to 2009.

I would like to think that they will eventually reopen that station,
though I don't know what the plan is.
Old August 23rd 12, 09:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22/08/2012 18:42, Bruce wrote:
Jarle H Knudsen wrote:

On 22 Aug 2012 11:15:55 GMT, Neil Williams wrote:

wrote:

If you use smartphones a lot the battery can go within a day which isn't much
use if you're spending the day away from the hotel.

I charge mine every night, but it rarely if ever needs more.

I need about two and half charges a day on my Samsung Galaxy S II, so I
carry extra batteries and have a separate battery charger. Problem solved.

I found my HTC smartphone needed more than one charge a day so I
bought an aftermarket battery with 50% more capacity which, although
slightly bigger, still just fits in the battery compartment. It gave
the phone the extra time needed so I only charged it once a day.

But what made the biggest difference was upgrading the Google OS to
4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Power management is much better and I can get
two days out of one charge as long as I avoid a couple of apps that
are particularly power hungry.

I have an iPhone 4S, and I find that I need to charge it only once every
24 hours, even with heavy usage. If I leave it alone for a bit, then I
could probably even go as long as 36 hours without charging.
Old August 24th 12, 12:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Eric wrote
On 2012-08-22, David Cantrell wrote:

There are a handful of members who don't have email, but that

handful
was deemed to not be important enough to justify the costs of

catering
to their choice of not having email.

Discrimination, pure and simple. They are saying "we don't care who

you
are or how long you've been here or what contribution you have made

or
could make, if you don't have email we don't care about you". Nice.

Not
having email is not necessarily a matter of choice.

And sometimes a matter of selective ignorance
..

A gentleman who lives in my town wrote to The Times complaining that
our MP expected him to email.

The town's public library, open 7 days a week and with 20 PCs was
apparently beneath his notice.

--
Mike D

Old August 24th 12, 07:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Eric wrote
..
On 2012-08-22, David Cantrell wrote:

There are a handful of members who don't have email, but that
handful was deemed to not be important enough to justify the costs
of catering to their choice of not having email.

Discrimination, pure and simple. They are saying "we don't care who you
are or how long you've been here or what contribution you have made or
could make, if you don't have email we don't care about you". Nice. Not
having email is not necessarily a matter of choice.

And sometimes a matter of selective ignorance.

A gentleman who lives in my town wrote to The Times complaining that
our MP expected him to email.

The town's public library, open 7 days a week and with 20 PCs was
apparently beneath his notice.

If you don't use computers, or the library, why would you even think
of it? So your use of the word "selective" is at best an insult to
the gentleman concerned. There are many people who can not get what
computers are about, despite attempts to find out (with help), so maybe
he did know about the library but didn't see it as an answer for him.
He's allowed to do that, human rights are not diminished by an inability
to learn some particular thing (or indeed anything).

This attitude that people can be ignored if they fit into some category
is a kind of arrogance. People are not the categories we might put them
in, they are people, and need to be treated as people. It is pretty much
a certainty that some day you will be put into a category and ignored,
and that you will not like it.

Eric
--
ms fnd in a lbry
Old August 24th 12, 07:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2012-08-22, David Cantrell wrote:
There are a handful of members who don't have email, but that handful
was deemed to not be important enough to justify the costs of catering
to their choice of not having email.

Discrimination, pure and simple. They are saying "we don't care who you
are or how long you've been here or what contribution you have made or
could make, if you don't have email we don't care about you". Nice. Not
having email is not necessarily a matter of choice.

Even worse, what do they offer for people who aren't interested in
"promoting Go in the UK"? Nothing. They are clearly discriminating
against Outer Mongolian rugby league players, even if they have e-mail.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old August 24th 12, 09:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 24 Aug 2012 00:04:28 GMT
"Michael R N Dolbear" wrote:
A gentleman who lives in my town wrote to The Times complaining that
our MP expected him to email.

The town's public library, open 7 days a week and with 20 PCs was
apparently beneath his notice.

Or perhaps he's disabled and getting out requires booking a taxi or some
other form of help. Or perhaps he's not au fait with computers and can't
understand (quite reasonably) why his MP appears unable to (or more likely
can't be bothered to) read a written letter. Not to mention the fact that
he'd have to create some form of email account before he can even send the
email and would then have to go back to the library to pick up any reply.

Hopefully your arrogance will diminish over time when you yourself as another
poster has mentioned , end up in the same situation.

B2003

Old August 24th 12, 10:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2012\08\23 13:22, Neil Williams wrote:
Mike Bristow wrote:

4tph is starting to be turn-up-and-go; 6tph absolutly is.

Agree, though I used a timetable on the 12tph Hamburg U Bahn to ensure I
always stepped onto the platform just as the train was pulling in.

On Merseyrail (4tph) everyone I know uses a timetable.

Neil

About half of the S-tog stations in Copenhagen have 3tph in each direction.