Old August 23rd 12, 09:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Underground Maps Unravelled

In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 08:50:24 on Tue, 21 Aug
2012, d remarked:

That works if there is a turn-up and go service everywhere, or the map

Is there a metro system in the world that isn't turn up and go?

When does that kick in... 4tph? I'm sure we can find a 3tph Metro.

4tph is starting to be turn-up-and-go; 6tph absolutly is.

--
Mike Bristow

Old August 23rd 12, 11:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 01:04:30PM +0000, d wrote:
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 12:29:34 +0100 David Cantrell wrote:
price of manufacturing smartphones is dropping quickly (retail price,
unsubsidised, has already dropped from hundreds of pounds to tens of
pounds),

Depends. You can pick up some old symbian stuff for 90 quid but thats
about as low as it goes at the moment.

http://www.reghardware.com/2012/08/2...ndroid_phones/

The lowest in that list is 70 quid.

Once almost everyone can afford a smartphone, or they start being given
away "for free" with a phone contract, the cost of manufacturing

There are not being given away and they're not free as you well know or you
wouldn't have put it in quotes. Contracts cost a fortune and they get the
full retail price of the phone back and then some over the period.

So? This is no different from dumbphones.

Already a quarter of adults have a smartphone and half of all teenagers.

Got a link for that?

http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2011/08/04...o-smartphones/

which are the top three categories of paid-for content/applications on
phones? They a
* games

Don't care, I'm not 15.

Nor are most people who play games.

* music

Don't care.

Whether you care is not important.

* travel

Can use a proper computer for that or visit a travel agents.
That really the best you've got?

The point is that this demonstrates that, contrary to your foolish
assertions, people find a smartphone to be useful for travel
information.

And don't you think it would be better to take a tiny pocket-sized
device on holiday instead of a "proper computer"?

--
David Cantrell | Official London Perl Mongers Bad Influence

If you have received this email in error, please add some nutmeg
and egg whites, whisk, and place in a warm oven for 40 minutes.
Old August 23rd 12, 11:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
price of manufacturing smartphones is dropping quickly (retail price,
unsubsidised, has already dropped from hundreds of pounds to tens of
pounds),

Depends. You can pick up some old symbian stuff for 90 quid but thats
about as low as it goes at the moment.

http://www.reghardware.com/2012/08/2...ndroid_phones/

The lowest in that list is 70 quid.

Is that supposed to be a selling point when I can pick up a dumbphone for
9.99 from asda?

Once almost everyone can afford a smartphone, or they start being given
away "for free" with a phone contract, the cost of manufacturing

There are not being given away and they're not free as you well know or you
wouldn't have put it in quotes. Contracts cost a fortune and they get the
full retail price of the phone back and then some over the period.

So? This is no different from dumbphones.

Except PAYG is perfectly feasible if you only make calls and text. Not so
for data.

Already a quarter of adults have a smartphone and half of all teenagers.

Got a link for that?

http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2011/08/04...o-smartphones/

A reliable link. Ofcom are full of it.

Whether you care is not important.

Or course its important because is what I base my decisions on you halfwitted
moron!

The point is that this demonstrates that, contrary to your foolish
assertions, people find a smartphone to be useful for travel
information.

Which "people"?

And don't you think it would be better to take a tiny pocket-sized
device on holiday instead of a "proper computer"?

I don't take a computer on holiday. I spend all week working with the damn
things and the last thing I want when I'm away is email and the web.

B2003

Old August 23rd 12, 12:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Is that supposed to be a selling point when I can pick up a dumbphone for
9.99 from asda?

The prices given in that article are SIM free. A ten quid dumbphone is
subsidised from the inflated call costs on PAYG.

Except PAYG is perfectly feasible if you only make calls and text. Not so
for data.

That'll be why I have the very iPad on which I am typing this on PAYG then?

Which "people"?

Me for one. Meanwhile my smartphone in my pocket is already set up to
update me when the status of my flight changes, so I can relax in the
airport and be notified when the gate comes up rather than hanging around
the monitor. And while I'm waiting for my bag I'll be able to compare
train and coach times, and even book a coach ticket if that's going to be
the best option, which will be sent to my phone. (Waiting with bated
breath for the railway to catch up!)

It's brilliant, IMO. Truly a killer app.

I don't take a computer on holiday. I spend all week working with the damn
things and the last thing I want when I'm away is email and the web.

I don't want work, but I do want the Web. The ability to research your
destination on the fly, and have a map of anywhere at the drop of a hat is
great, particularly now the EU has legislated data cost down a bit.

Wonderful stuff. I don't travel without it.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.
Old August 23rd 12, 12:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mike Bristow wrote:

4tph is starting to be turn-up-and-go; 6tph absolutly is.

Agree, though I used a timetable on the 12tph Hamburg U Bahn to ensure I
always stepped onto the platform just as the train was pulling in.

On Merseyrail (4tph) everyone I know uses a timetable.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.
Old August 23rd 12, 12:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 23 Aug 2012 12:22:37 GMT
Neil Williams wrote:
wrote:

Is that supposed to be a selling point when I can pick up a dumbphone for
9.99 from asda?

The prices given in that article are SIM free. A ten quid dumbphone is
subsidised from the inflated call costs on PAYG.

No one is forcing you to use PAYG if you buy a cheap phone.

Except PAYG is perfectly feasible if you only make calls and text. Not so
for data.

That'll be why I have the very iPad on which I am typing this on PAYG then?

And how much does it cost you a month? My PAYG costs are currently about a
fiver.

B2003

Old August 23rd 12, 12:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 23 Aug 2012 12:22:43 GMT
Neil Williams wrote:
Agree, though I used a timetable on the 12tph Hamburg U Bahn to ensure I
always stepped onto the platform just as the train was pulling in.

On Merseyrail (4tph) everyone I know uses a timetable.

Merseyrail isn't a metro though. Its suburban rail that happens to have a few
underground stations, like londons finsbury park to moorgate line.

B2003