Old January 10th 14, 07:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Still Bendy buses in london

I noticed some long bendy buses are doing stirling work shuttling people from
the long term car parks to the terminals at heathrow. I hope no one tells
Boris.

--
Spud

Old January 10th 14, 07:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
I noticed some long bendy buses are doing stirling work shuttling people from
the long term car parks to the terminals at heathrow. I hope no one tells
Boris.

Pretty normal at airports -- not many cyclists there to tangle with. But I
must admit I've not come across them serving the car parks at LHR. It may
be because they're better at getting round tight corners in the car parks,
compared to long non-articulated buses. Lots of airports use bendy buses
airside, though I don't think LHR does

I recently visited Cartagena in Colombia, where the guide proudly told us
that the colourful local private buses were to be replaced by a new fleet
of bendies. I couldn't help smiling.

BTW, Stirling is a city in Scotland.
Old January 11th 14, 06:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 21:09:50 +0000
Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 20:18:00 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

I noticed some long bendy buses are doing stirling work shuttling people from
the long term car parks to the terminals at heathrow. I hope no one tells
Boris.

If in silver livery then probably working for Menzies who I think have
a range of contracts at Heathrow. I imagine if Boris tried to
interfere then HAL would tell him to "go away".

Yup , definately silver. And I'm pretty sure the rear section is also slightly
longer than the TfL bendies.

--
Spud

Old January 12th 14, 11:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 21:55:07 +0000
Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 14:35:04 -0600, Recliner
wrote:
Ah, I was going to ask if it was a former TfL bendy. Three doors?

Don't think so. They're Scania Omnicity artics and are triple doored.
I don't believe any Citaros have gone to Heathrow despite Boris
imploring that London's bendies should be used at airports.

I didn't notice if they were scanias but they're definately not old TfL ones.

Aviation is part of the John Menzies group that runs the newsagents /
press distribution.

I haven't seen a john menzies for years. They used to be a fixture at most
large railway stations but they all seem to have been replaced by WHSmith.

--
Spud

Old January 12th 14, 11:37 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I noticed some long bendy buses are doing stirling work shuttling people from
the long term car parks to the terminals at heathrow. I hope no one tells
Boris.

--
Spud
Yes. It would be a pity to disturb his slumbers.
Old February 11th 14, 10:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

Aviation is part of the John Menzies group that runs the newsagents /
press distribution.

I haven't seen a john menzies for years.

There's probably more of them north of Watford Gap.

No the shops were sold off to Smiths and rebranded in the late 1990s.

The ones I think I remember in the south were on run-down council estates.

They were more diverse than that. I grew up in Epsom which had a Menzies and
either a tiny Smiths or none at all until c1999.

From what I understand the English Menzies branches tended to be in small
towns and suburbs and there were very few of the large multi-levelled ones
that Smiths have. (I think Shrewsbury had a big one from visits to
grandparents but I may be confusing a Smiths with the one in Edinbugh.)

--
My blog: http://adf.ly/4hi4c

Old February 11th 14, 01:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 11:46:28 -0000, "Tim Roll-Pickering"
wrote:
From what I understand the English Menzies branches tended to be in

small
towns and suburbs and there were very few of the large

multi-levelled ones
that Smiths have. (I think Shrewsbury had a big one from visits to
grandparents but I may be confusing a Smiths with the one in

Edinbugh.)

Wigan had one in the late 1990s. Like Smiths but scruffier.

Neil

--
Neil Williams. Use neil before the at to reply.