Old July 2nd 14, 03:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default FCC censoring information at Luton Airport Parkway

On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 04:40:15 -0500, rosenstiel wrote:

7 minutes is utterly ridiculous!

At my normal station the total distance kerb to up platform edge is about
15 metres.

3.6 mm / sec ... that must be approaching snail speeds, and possibly not
from the right side.

I must admit, sometimes it takes me 2 or 3 minutes to get a ticket from
one of the 3 machines.

--
Denis McMahon,
Old July 2nd 14, 04:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:46:59 on Wed, 2 Jul 2014,
Denis McMahon remarked:
7 minutes is utterly ridiculous!

At my normal station the total distance kerb to up platform edge is about
15 metres.

That's one of the issues with Luton Parkway - the distance between the
kerb and the platform that newbies will be heading for: the most distant
platform 1.
Old July 2nd 14, 10:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 02/07/2014 18:59, Roland Perry wrote:
[Luton Airport]
It's not very accessible by public transport from Cambridge (or Ely)
though, is it?

No it isn't. So my focus for any future trips would change to Stansted/
Gatwick rather than Luton/Gatwick. I was only using Luton when East
Midlands didn't have a suitable flight and because it was on the M1/MML
corridor.

If you're getting a GN train to King's Cross, then I'd think Gatwick and
Luton airports are more or less much of a muchness in terms of onward
travel - though no shuttle bus at Gatwick of course.

East Midlands Airport seems to be struggling these days without BMIbaby
and Easyjet. Although Flybe has taken over some routes the only flight
to Amsterdam is now a useless 1pm out and 4pm back [both local time].

Old July 2nd 14, 10:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 02/07/2014 12:55, Paul Corfield wrote:

I suspect the timings are set for people who are encumbered and need
to use lifts or struggle with stairs. As an airport station that seems
a reasonable assumption

Though perhaps not with the kinds of air passengers using Luton. If you
can afford to take a heavy bag, you can afford not to be flying Wizz
from Luton.

Nothing says "Welcome to Britain" more than the recorded messages
telling you how to use the escalators, presumably for the benefit of
Johnny Foreigner who has never before encountered such things in his
primitive Continental homeland.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old July 2nd 14, 11:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Several combination trips too. For example driving to Luton Parkway
then catching the train to Getwick, returning to the car park via
Luton Airport and the shuttle bus; and the opposite way round that
circle. It just depends on the airline schedules.

It's not very accessible by public transport from Cambridge (or Ely) though,
is it?

NatEx have coaches from Cambridge to Luton Airport every two hours
from 02:20 to 20:20. They take about 1:35. Seems reasonably
accessible to me.

Ely is harder. The Cambridge train station is a long way from the
coach station, so it's not a very good place to change. The coach
stops at the Hitchin train station, but you can't get there from Ely
without changing at Letchworth. Or you could take the train to
Stansted airport and the coach from there.

--
Regards,
John Levine, , Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",