Old February 28th 15, 04:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Borisbuses

In message , at 16:29:58 on Sat, 28
Feb 2015, Neil Williams remarked:

Wow. I don't think you've mentioned that. That's a scandalous flaw.
In the bus, not in you!

I would be interested in what the precise cause of that is. I have a
similar thing with trains - the awful suspension and failure to bolt
the seats to the wall on the Class 180s means I can barely stand a
journey in one.

While I as a person can cope with the 180's sideways oscillations, it
makes it impossible to type on a keyboard whose keys are shifting left
and right faster than one could ever correct for it.

Old February 28th 15, 05:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-02-28 12:53:55 +0000, Basil Jet said:

Wow. I don't think you've mentioned that. That's a scandalous flaw.
In the bus, not in you!

I would be interested in what the precise cause of that is. I have a
similar thing with trains - the awful suspension and failure to bolt the
seats to the wall on the Class 180s means I can barely stand a journey
in one.

??

I now have this mental picture of a train with a load of swivel chairs
sliding around on every curve. Wildly swinging chandeliers would
complete the image. And some very annoyed people in waistcoats with
twirly moustaches, playing snooker and shouting "Great Scott!"
Old February 28th 15, 05:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-02-28 12:53:55 +0000, Basil Jet said:

Wow. I don't think you've mentioned that. That's a scandalous flaw.
In the bus, not in you!

I would be interested in what the precise cause of that is. I have a
similar thing with trains - the awful suspension and failure to bolt the
seats to the wall on the Class 180s means I can barely stand a journey
in one.

??

I now have this mental picture of a train with a load of swivel chairs
sliding around on every curve. Wildly swinging chandeliers would
complete the image. And some very annoyed people in waistcoats with
twirly moustaches, playing snooker and shouting "Great Scott!"

.....LOL! And one man trying to keep a pencil upright on a saucer.
Old February 28th 15, 06:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-02-28 12:53:55 +0000, Basil Jet said:

Wow. I don't think you've mentioned that. That's a scandalous flaw.
In the bus, not in you!

I would be interested in what the precise cause of that is. I have a
similar thing with trains - the awful suspension and failure to bolt the
seats to the wall on the Class 180s means I can barely stand a journey
in one.

??

I now have this mental picture of a train with a load of swivel chairs
sliding around on every curve. Wildly swinging chandeliers would complete
the image. And some very annoyed people in waistcoats with twirly
moustaches, playing snooker and shouting "Great Scott!"

I must say, that was one of the nice things about the Caledonian Sleeper
when I travelled on it (which was, as I mentioned before, about 15 years
ago) - the bar car had proper tables and chairs you could move. It was
quite a novelty!

It also had ashtrays - ahh, those were the glory days...

Romanian sleepers don't have the movable furniture in the dining car, but
joy of joys you can get an ashtray (or more accurately, ash saucer) if you
ask nicely :-).
Old February 28th 15, 07:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-02-28 18:06:04 +0000, Basil Jet said:

??

Most trains have a pair of seats supported by being bolted to a track
on the sidewall and having only one "leg" on the other side, bolted to
the floor.

The Class 175 and 180 have two vertical "legs" bolted to the floor, not
the sidewall. As the frame isn't rigid enough, this means they sway
side to side.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old February 28th 15, 08:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-02-28 18:06:04 +0000, Basil Jet said:

??

Most trains have a pair of seats supported by being bolted to a track on
the sidewall and having only one "leg" on the other side, bolted to the
floor.

The Class 175 and 180 have two vertical "legs" bolted to the floor, not
the sidewall. As the frame isn't rigid enough, this means they sway
side to side.

Hopefully there's no room for fingers between the seat and the wall!

Old March 1st 15, 08:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-02-28 21:34:50 +0000, Basil Jet said:

Hopefully there's no room for fingers between the seat and the wall!

Never even thought of that, but it's yet another reason why it's an
idiotic design...

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old March 2nd 15, 11:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 07:19:32PM +0000, Clank wrote:

I must say, that was one of the nice things about the Caledonian Sleeper
when I travelled on it (which was, as I mentioned before, about 15 years
ago) - the bar car had proper tables and chairs you could move. It was
quite a novelty!

It still does!

--
David Cantrell | top google result for "internet beard fetish club"

Blessed are the pessimists, for they test their backups