Old March 20th 15, 10:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster refunds

This is good news, in an email from TfL:

(It doesn't say if the card has to be registered though, perhaps that's
what the "may" is implying?).

"If you have an Oyster Card you no longer need, you may be able to get a
refund for it at our improved ticket machines in Tube stations.

You can get a refund at ticket machines for up to £10 of pay as you go
credit and your deposit."

Old March 20th 15, 08:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Friday, 20 March 2015 11:05:26 UTC, Roland Perry wrote:
This is good news, in an email from TfL:

(It doesn't say if the card has to be registered though, perhaps that's
what the "may" is implying?).

"If you have an Oyster Card you no longer need, you may be able to get a
refund for it at our improved ticket machines in Tube stations.

You can get a refund at ticket machines for up to £10 of pay as you go
credit and your deposit."

So the latest machines can out? That is good. So if one finds an Oyster in the street one can quickly pop into a station and clean it out.
Old March 20th 15, 11:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 12:50:21 -0500,

wrote:

They are promising all sorts of extra goodies. I wish there was somewhere
where the new facilities were properly described so we know what they are
still not doing, e.g. printing card details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYj_FgZ_4JQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N2MeBna0DY

Both official TfL videos about the modded machines. May not answer all
your queries.

Answers the railcard questions, though not whether they will show railcard
registration as opposed to adding one. Nothing about any printing facilities
either.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old March 21st 15, 09:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 19:36:06 -0500,

wrote:

wrote:

They are promising all sorts of extra goodies. I wish there was
somewhere where the new facilities were properly described so we know
what they are still not doing, e.g. printing card details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYj_FgZ_4JQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N2MeBna0DY

Both official TfL videos about the modded machines. May not answer all
your queries.

Answers the railcard questions, though not whether they will show
railcard registration as opposed to adding one. Nothing about any
printing facilities either.

AFAIK there are no paper, as opposed to ticket roll, printing
facilities on any passenger operated machines that would present the
paper to the passenger. The machine set up used to be on a local
network which had a printer attached to it in the POM enclosure. The
ticket office machine had a tally roll printer which is what is / was
used to give people a card print out.

My assumption is that local printing of card details will be removed
once ticket offices have shut. The video indicates that the on line
account facility is the replacement although I accept that the current
account info doesn't show discount entitlements. I've had two
entitlements on an Oyster Card in the past and neither was shown on
the on line information.

I wonder if the staff log on facility will allow the "floating staff
member" to interrogate the card and provide a screen view of the more
detailed info held on the card? And yes, before you say it, that isn't
a print out but it might reassure people that their card is properly
encoded.

I fear your questions will never be answered here so if you really
want to know you'll need to write to TfL.

I have written several times and had a string of non-answers. Even
politicians are better at answering the questions asked. The first time all
I got was a paean of praise for the ticket office closure programme,
ignoring my actual questions entirely.

So it looks as if it will become impossible to sort out overcharging of
unregistered Oyster cards because it will be impossible to produce the
evidence. TfL's initial answer is always to deny responsibility if the
problem doesn't arise immediately, unlikely when users are only occasional
visitors to London. :-(

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old March 22nd 15, 12:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 17:38:43 -0500,

wrote:

I have written several times and had a string of non-answers. Even
politicians are better at answering the questions asked. The first time
all I got was a paean of praise for the ticket office closure programme,
ignoring my actual questions entirely.

So it looks as if it will become impossible to sort out overcharging of
unregistered Oyster cards because it will be impossible to produce the
evidence. TfL's initial answer is always to deny responsibility if the
problem doesn't arise immediately, unlikely when users are only
occasional visitors to London. :-(

I hadn't appreciated you'd written. London Travelwatch is therefore
your next legitimate port of call. I expect they would know by now
some of the detail but if not they would certainly ask the questions
for you. They have rather more weight in getting a response. After
that it's time for the London Assembly but you're at some disadvantage
as you can't claim to be a constituent of a member but I can't see the
Transport Committee refusing to listen.

Hmm. I think I talked to them (I know Tim Bellenger and John Cartledge)
about the problem I had before the ticket office closure plan was announced.
They couldn't help with the original refund complaint but TfL did sort it
out in the end, at about the third attempt.

Maybe I'll have a closer look at one of the new machines when I next see
one. I seem to use my bike more than the tube in London these days and my
next likely visit will be with a Day Travelcard (better value at weekends).

Also, I have a feeling I'm now out of unregistered Oyster cards because I
got my wife to switch to contactless. Having a railcard I need to stick to
Oyster but most of mine were registered long ago.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old March 22nd 15, 09:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 19:36:06 -0500,
wrote:

wrote:

They are promising all sorts of extra goodies. I wish there was
somewhere
where the new facilities were properly described so we know what they
are
still not doing, e.g. printing card details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYj_FgZ_4JQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N2MeBna0DY

Both official TfL videos about the modded machines. May not answer all
your queries.

Answers the railcard questions, though not whether they will show railcard
registration as opposed to adding one. Nothing about any printing
facilities
either.

AFAIK there are no paper, as opposed to ticket roll, printing
facilities on any passenger operated machines that would present the
paper to the passenger.

DB gets around this problem by printing the information on ticket blanks

what's the problem here?

tim