Old February 18th 04, 05:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Lihuanian cars

Just a query... I often see foreign cars on the streets of London, but why
is it that the vast majority are from Lithuania?? I know there are doubtless
Lithuanians in London, but there are certainly fewer than there are French,
German, Dutch etc. and I would have thought they would be very unlikely to
bring a car here for a holiday.

So, what's it all about? Is there some import scam, or a trade in their
number plates to get around Congestion Charging, or what?

Thanks

Old February 18th 04, 06:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tony Wilson wrote:

Just a query... I often see foreign cars on the streets of London, but why
is it that the vast majority are from Lithuania?? I know there are doubtless
Lithuanians in London, but there are certainly fewer than there are French,
German, Dutch etc. and I would have thought they would be very unlikely to
bring a car here for a holiday.

So, what's it all about? Is there some import scam, or a trade in their
number plates to get around Congestion Charging, or what?

Where do you live?

I'm in East London, and there are loads of Poles, Latvians and
Lithuanians living round here, and they have cars.

I've never thought it was anything more sinister than that. I certainly
haven't seen as many in other parts of London (well, plenty round Ealing
too).
Old February 18th 04, 08:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:46:19 -0000, "Tony Wilson" tw wrote:

Just a query... I often see foreign cars on the streets of London, but why
is it that the vast majority are from Lithuania?? I know there are doubtless
Lithuanians in London, but there are certainly fewer than there are French,
German, Dutch etc. and I would have thought they would be very unlikely to
bring a car here for a holiday.

So, what's it all about? Is there some import scam, or a trade in their
number plates to get around Congestion Charging, or what?

Thanks

I see to recall that Lituanian number-plates are very similar to UK
plates, might this be something to do with a way around congestion
charging? Quite likely!

Nigel
Old February 19th 04, 07:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Where do you live?

I'm in East London, and there are loads of Poles, Latvians and
Lithuanians living round here, and they have cars.

East London too- have mainly noticed them around Newham/Barking/Tower
Hamlets area. But have never seen any Polish or Latvian plates (well, here
anyway), and can't see why so many would bring cars with them, though from
what you say they may do. Also it occurrs to me that some of the drivers
didn't look very European!

Old February 19th 04, 07:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tony Wilson" tw wrote the following in:

Just a query... I often see foreign cars on the streets of London,
but why is it that the vast majority are from Lithuania?? I know
there are doubtless Lithuanians in London, but there are certainly
fewer than there are French, German, Dutch etc. and I would have
thought they would be very unlikely to bring a car here for a
holiday.

How do you identify a Lithuanian car?

--
message by Robin May, enforcer of sod's law.
The Hutton Report is a whitewash! Long live the BBC!

To annoy people in a slow lift: run up the stairs faster than the lift
moves and press the lift call button on each floor.

Old February 19th 04, 08:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Robin May wrote:
How do you identify a Lithuanian car?

LT, instead of GB. I think.

--
You dont have to be illiterate to use the Internet, but it help's.

Old February 20th 04, 08:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
Robin May wrote:

How do you identify a Lithuanian car?

LT, instead of GB. I think.

Yeah, i live in Walthamstow, and there are about three regularly parked
around, some of them A6's and 328's , I thought these guys were supposed to
be poor.

Old February 20th 04, 10:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

They aren't but their hookers are !

NBD

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:57:04 +0000, jacob reimann
wrote:

Old February 20th 04, 04:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tony Wilson" tw wrote in message
Just a query... I often see foreign cars on the streets of London, but why
is it that the vast majority are from Lithuania?? I know there are

doubtless
Lithuanians in London, but there are certainly fewer than there are

French,
German, Dutch etc. and I would have thought they would be very unlikely to
bring a car here for a holiday.

So, what's it all about? Is there some import scam, or a trade in their
number plates to get around Congestion Charging, or what?

The Bulgarian reg's are the ones most used to get around the CONgestion
*TAX*

A little bit of Cyrillic alphabet and the (£50,000,000 per year of London
tax-payers money to run) OCR camera systems gets all upset

NICE !

Stick that up yer Junta, Mad Ken Living****e ! the commies were finally your
undoing, how very poetic

Security alert at Bushey station needed 20 squad cars ? Marratxi London Transport 0 July 27th 05 10:40 PM
Environmental campaigners say all cars could be green Solid Scot London Transport 2 June 16th 05 12:02 PM
Old cars or bikes wtd for Primrose Hill Summer Festival, Saturday 25th June 2005 [email protected] London Transport 1 April 26th 05 02:53 PM
[OT] 4x4 cars on London streets Mike London Transport 74 February 25th 05 04:50 AM
Vic line cars woutster London Transport 6 June 22nd 04 08:51 AM