Old October 9th 15, 11:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Clapham Junction Pink Oyster Reader

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 10:09:29 +0200, Kerry Hawkins
wrote:

Hello

I want to travel to Canary Warf from Worcester Park using the London
Overground from Clapham Junction.

I will touch in at Worcester Park but do I have to touch the pink reader
at Clapham Junction before I get on the Overground...?

Thanks for your help.

Please check your journey in the TfL Single Fare Finder. That
specifies the default route - first one on the list and usually via
Zone 1 - and then will list alternatives.

You must ONLY touch your Oyster Card / Contactless Card at the points
specified by TfL to benefit from a lower fare.

Why? What harm would additional pink touches do?

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...From=Worcester
+Park+Rail+Station&FromId=910GWRCSTRP&To=Canary+Wh arf+Underground+Station&ToI
d=940GZZLUCYF&PassengerType=Adult

In this case that is "in" at Worcester Park, "pink" at Canada Water
and "out" at Canary Wharf LU station.

The pink validators are at Overground platform level near the
escalators down to the Jubilee Line.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old October 10th 15, 09:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message of Fri, 9 Oct
2015 18:42:16 in uk.transport.london, Paul Corfield
writes

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...inder?From=Wor
cester+Park+Rail+Station&FromId=910GWRCSTRP&To=Ca nary+Wharf+Underground
+Station&ToId=940GZZLUCYF&PassengerType=Adult

In this case that is "in" at Worcester Park, "pink" at Canada Water
and "out" at Canary Wharf LU station.

The pink validators are at Overground platform level near the
escalators down to the Jubilee Line.

Helpful as ever, Paul!
I could not remember the location of the Canada Water pink validators.

One unhelpful thing, is that pink validator touches do not show on
Passenger Operated Machines. They do appear in online statements.
Colin Rosentiel was misinformed, when told printed statements can be
produced by POMs - even with staff intervention, unless the staff in
King's Cross are misinformed or undertrained.

I am puzzled as to why a pink validator touch is needed to select a
cheap fare between Worcester Park and Canary Wharf.
The obvious route via Waterloo NR and Waterloo LU would involve a touch
out and touch in and would incur a via zone 1 fare - if gates are
operational.
Can anybody suggest a via zone 1 journey, which would not involve gates?
--
Walter Briscoe
Old October 10th 15, 11:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

you answered it yourself:

"if gates are operational", There's an awful lot of automatic correction of
incorrect fare calculations for when they are not and the system assumes
this is always a possibility.

tim

Old October 10th 15, 11:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
In article , (Mizter T)
wrote:

On 09/10/2015 14:16,
wrote:

In article ,
()
wrote:

On 09.10.15 9:09, Kerry Hawkins wrote:
Hello

I want to travel to Canary Warf from Worcester Park using the London
Overground from Clapham Junction.

I will touch in at Worcester Park but do I have to touch the pink
reader at Clapham Junction before I get on the Overground...?

Thanks for your help.

I would.

Assuming the OP changes from Overground to Jubilee at Canada Water then
definitely touch any passing pink readers. You need to touch to show
you
haven't used a route via Zone 1 if the normal route goes that way.

You only need to touch the pink readers shown on the single fare
finder to benefit from the lower non-z1 fare.

Touching on any others won't do any harm, but it doesn't have any
effect either. In other words, no need to "definitely touch any
passing pink readers".

And yes, the reality matches what I've just said!

The trouble is that most people haven't looked at the Single Fare Finder
before travelling. So the advice to touch every pink reader is a belts and
braces approach which can't go wrong.

except that the average punter is not going to know where all of the pink
valuators are, and could easily not touch one because he didn't see it.

tim

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old October 10th 15, 12:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 09/10/2015 18:38, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 07:07:15 -0700 (PDT), Steve Lewis
wrote:

You should touch every pink Oyster reader that you encounter during your journey. It will either have no effect on the fare that you pay, or it will reduce your dare, it will never cause you to pay a higher fare.

Wrong. You should only touch the ones specified by TfL in the Single
Fare Finder.

I am aware of an instance where people touched every pink validator on
their route and one was ignored and the people were charged as if
travelling via Zone 1.

Dare I suggest that in that instance the touch on the relevant pink
validator didn't register (i.e. they didn't get a green light)?
Old October 10th 15, 01:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Walter Briscoe" wrote in message

Can anybody suggest a via zone 1 journey, which would not involve gates?
--
Walter Briscoe

You can transfer between NR/OG and the Underground at a number of points
without going through gates, and Farringdon is a rare case where that can
happen inside zone 1. A lot of other lines pass through zone 1 so any
journey through the zone and out the other side is a possibility.

--
DAS

Old October 10th 15, 02:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

I wasn't told that by station staff but in an email from TfL Customer
Services when I asked how I was going to obtain such vital data without
ticket offices. I was given considerable detail, including which stations
would be the first to get the necessary new machines back in April:

Dear Mr Rosenstiel
Thank you for your email dated 17 March regarding the ticket machines
to be operated by staff at our stations when the ticket offices close.
These ticket machines will be able to carry out these functions.
They are currently being installed at stations and the first ones
will be available within the next two months. The first stations to
receive the machines will be Chigwell, Embankment, Roding Valley,
Shepherd's Bush, South Wimbledon, Temple, Theydon Bois and Upminster
Bridge. They should be available at all stations by December this
year.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old October 10th 15, 02:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10/10/2015 14:22, D A Stocks wrote:

"Walter Briscoe" wrote:

Can anybody suggest a via zone 1 journey, which would not involve gates?

You can transfer between NR/OG and the Underground at a number of points
without going through gates, and Farringdon is a rare case where that
can happen inside zone 1. A lot of other lines pass through zone 1 so
any journey through the zone and out the other side is a possibility.

Farringdon (for Thameslink), Moorgate and Old Street (for Great
Northern) are the only three examples I can think of now in z1.