Old November 14th 15, 05:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Inclined lift at Greenford Station replaces the last woodenescalator

On 14.11.15 17:16, Offramp wrote:
Only ➘ ➙ ➚ ➛ ➜ ➝ ➞.

So, only theatre and harbour lights

I took a ride along the Greenford Branch a while ago, and I think that I
remember more than one semaphore signal at that time.

Old November 14th 15, 05:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14.11.15 16:33, Recliner wrote:
Robin9 wrote:

'Recliner[_3_ Wrote:
;151728']Basil Jet wrote:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxScXvX1Dv4
-

Thanks, I had already planned to go and have a look at it next week.
It's
been ages in construction.

Please let us know if Greenford Station still has posters heralding
the imminent start of 24 hours tube sevice. They were there on
the platforms last time I was at Greenford.

I'll check. I also notice that my local Tube station, which isn't even
scheduled to get the Night Tube when it does eventually start, already has
the Night Owl logo on its Tube map, not covered with a sticker.

The Victoria Line also has a night owl sticker at either Euston of KXSP.
Old November 15th 15, 01:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 14/11/2015 09:03, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxScXvX1Dv4

I'm a little surprised that they claim it uses less power than a
conventional lift. If you have to raise a given mass through a
given vertical distance, shouldn't the answer be the same?

Some form of energy recovery on down cycle maybe?

Old November 15th 15, 01:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 14/11/2015 10:29, Mark Goodge wrote:
On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 09:36:51 +0000, Clive D. W. Feather put finger to
keyboard and typed:

In message
-sept
ember.org, Recliner wrote:
I'm a little surprised that they claim it uses less power than a
conventional lift. If you have to raise a given mass through a
given vertical distance, shouldn't the answer be the same?

That assumes 100% efficiency in the mechanism. Not a safe assumption.

Yes, I agree about the *energy* consumption. But perhaps it gets away with
a less powerful motor, as it's slower than a normal lift.

In addition, the fact it's sliding down rails rather than hanging in
free space may alter the efficiency of the mechanism.

Yes. A simple thought experiment works here. It clearly requires less
energy to push a wheeled object horizontally than it does to lift it
vertically. So there's clearly also a continuum between 0 degrees = least
energy and 90 degrees (from the horizontal) = most energy, and therefore
something like 45 degrees = somewhere in between the two.

Which, in turn increases the distance that it requires to be propelled.

Old November 15th 15, 01:10 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxScXvX1Dv4

I'm a little surprised that they claim it uses less power than a
conventional lift. If you have to raise a given mass through a
given vertical distance, shouldn't the answer be the same?

Some form of energy recovery on down cycle maybe?

Yes, as mentioned upthread, there's a big yellow counterweight visible in
the video. If the lift is lightly loaded, it'll use more energy going down
than up.

Old November 15th 15, 07:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message of Sat, 14 Nov 2015
11:32:31 in uk.transport.london, Robin9
..uk writes

'Recliner[_3_ Wrote:
;151728']Basil Jet wrote:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxScXvX1Dv4
-

Thanks, I had already planned to go and have a look at it next week.
It's
been ages in construction.

Please let us know if Greenford Station still has posters heralding
the imminent start of 24 hours tube sevice. They were there on
the platforms last time I was at Greenford.

It did on Sunday, 8th November, 2015.
I was surprised to see the completed work.
I used the lift, upwards. I found it painfully slow: both the wait for
it to arrive and the travel time. Geoff Marshall's video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxScXvX1Dv4
shows the capacity plate: 11 persons and 825kg. It also shows a blue
wheelchair icon - step free to train. I just checked 0343 222 1234 and
was told it is step free to platform (information from the Station
Supervisor). This is consistent with the other step free Central Line
stations: Stratford; Woodford; Hainault; and Epping.
Incidentally, there is an unusual lift from the routeway to the Ticket
Hall at Hainault, avoiding about 5 steps. Passengers are not enclosed in
a moving box, have to hold a movement button, and open the doors
manually.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old November 15th 15, 08:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxScXvX1Dv4

I'm a little surprised that they claim it uses less power than a
conventional lift. If you have to raise a given mass through a
given vertical distance, shouldn't the answer be the same?

Some form of energy recovery on down cycle maybe?

I see no reason why it shouldn't freewheel on the down journey, as long as there were strong enough buffers at the bottom. It is not FAR, is it?
Old November 15th 15, 11:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxScXvX1Dv4

I'm a little surprised that they claim it uses less power than a
conventional lift. If you have to raise a given mass through a
given vertical distance, shouldn't the answer be the same?

Some form of energy recovery on down cycle maybe?

I see no reason why it shouldn't freewheel on the down journey, as long as there were strong enough buffers at the bottom. It is not FAR, is it?

What makes you think it *could* freewheel down? In most cases, the
lift+payload will be lighter than the counter-weight.
Old November 15th 15, 11:42 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 14:59:01 +0000, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2015\11\14 09:09, Recliner wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxScXvX1Dv4

I'm a little surprised that they claim it uses less power than a
conventional lift. If you have to raise a given mass through a
given vertical distance, shouldn't the answer be the same?

Yes, I agree about the *energy* consumption. But perhaps it gets away with
a less powerful motor, as it's slower than a normal lift. I assume it has
a counterbalance like a normal lift? I'll see if I can tell when I go to
see it on Monday. Of course, the balance weight may be hidden, as it is
with many normal lifts.

It is yellow and clearly visible in the video above at 1:21.

Here's a detailed picture of it, taken from the adjacent staircase:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...6915/lightbox/
Old November 15th 15, 11:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 11:32:31 +0100, Robin9
wrote:

'Recliner[_3_ Wrote:
;151728']Basil Jet wrote:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxScXvX1Dv4
-

Thanks, I had already planned to go and have a look at it next week.
It's
been ages in construction.

Please let us know if Greenford Station still has posters heralding
the imminent start of 24 hours tube sevice. They were there on
the platforms last time I was at Greenford.

Yes:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...6915/lightbox/

No mention that it's been delayed.