Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 23rd 16, 11:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Another spelling mistake on the Tube

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 20:02:10 +0000, "Richard J."
wrote:

My Collins dictionary includes the use of 'alternate' to mean
'alternative' as one of the ten meanings of 'alternate', and it doesn't
mark it as only applying to American English. It was published in 1984.
I think you've missed the boat on this one.

Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary has the alternative meaning
listed as "especially North American English".

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...rner/alternate

--
jhk