Old January 29th 16, 10:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Another spelling mistake on the Tube

On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 10:35:18 -0000
"tim....." wrote:
wrote in message ...
On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 16:34:19 +0000
e27002 aurora wrote:
The five years I lived in Reno, at least twice a year I would do the
nine hours, each way, drive to visit with my friend and business

When they say its a long drive across the pond, they really mean it.
Longest I've done is Toronto to Montreal overnight though we took it in
turns
behind the wheel. Not sure I could have done it on my own in one go.

It's just over 300 miles, most of it on "open" expressway.

Thats still london to lands end. Also that "open" expressway was IIRC only
4 lanes (2 either side) with the inside lane filled with unlimited trucks
doing anything up to 80mph indicated who pulled out at a moments notice.

at 50mph that's 6 hours. **** easy for a one day drive

I think you are adding in the difficulty of staying awake when you
unnecessarily choose to do it over night

If it was unnecessary we'd have done it in the day.

--
Spud

Old January 29th 16, 04:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

e27002 aurora wrote:
The five years I lived in Reno, at least twice a year I would do the
nine hours, each way, drive to visit with my friend and business

When they say its a long drive across the pond, they really mean it.
Longest I've done is Toronto to Montreal overnight though we took it in
turns
behind the wheel. Not sure I could have done it on my own in one go.

It's just over 300 miles, most of it on "open" expressway.

Thats still london to lands end.

Yes

I'd still do that in a day

Also that "open" expressway was IIRC only
4 lanes (2 either side) with the inside lane filled with unlimited trucks
doing anything up to 80mph indicated who pulled out at a moments notice.

It might be a bit stressful but you're still going to have no difficulty
averaging 50 mph

at 50mph that's 6 hours. **** easy for a one day drive

I think you are adding in the difficulty of staying awake when you
unnecessarily choose to do it over night

If it was unnecessary we'd have done it in the day.

You have however proved my point that you did the journey overnight because
you had spend the previous day, awake, doing something else and not had the
necessary [1] rest before commencing an overnight drive.

tim

[1] well I would find it necessary, anyway

Old January 29th 16, 04:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

e27002 aurora wrote:
The five years I lived in Reno, at least twice a year I would do the
nine hours, each way, drive to visit with my friend and business

When they say its a long drive across the pond, they really mean it.
Longest I've done is Toronto to Montreal overnight though we took it in
turns
behind the wheel. Not sure I could have done it on my own in one go.

It's just over 300 miles, most of it on "open" expressway.

Thats still london to lands end.

Yes

I'd still do that in a day

And its still a long drive. Do you have a point here other than an implied
"I'm an amazing driver if I do say so myself and would have no problem doing
twice that distance in an afternoon"?

--
Spud

Old January 29th 16, 05:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

e27002 aurora wrote:
The five years I lived in Reno, at least twice a year I would do the
nine hours, each way, drive to visit with my friend and business

When they say its a long drive across the pond, they really mean it.

Longest I've done is Toronto to Montreal overnight though we took it
in
turns
behind the wheel. Not sure I could have done it on my own in one go.

It's just over 300 miles, most of it on "open" expressway.

Thats still london to lands end.

Yes

I'd still do that in a day

And its still a long drive. Do you have a point here other than an implied
"I'm an amazing driver if I do say so myself and would have no problem
doing
twice that distance in an afternoon"?

It's got nothing at all to do with being an amazing driver

just one who's prepared to spend 6 hours of the day doing it if the
alternative is paying for an overnight stop.

And IMHO 6 hours in one day is not a huge amount of time to commit to a
journey PROVIDED that you aren't already tired when you start

tim

Old January 29th 16, 10:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Ray
wrote:
Qantas cabin staff also address passengers by name in business and
first class, so perhaps not entirely cultural.

A lot of airlines do.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org
Old January 30th 16, 12:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

e27002 aurora wrote:
The five years I lived in Reno, at least twice a year I would do the
nine hours, each way, drive to visit with my friend and business

When they say its a long drive across the pond, they really mean it.
Longest I've done is Toronto to Montreal overnight though we took it in turns
behind the wheel. Not sure I could have done it on my own in one go.

To change the terms again, isn't there quite a decent train that does
that route?

I've done Montreal-Toronto, it's mostly LRC coaches, though the original
power cars are now long gone. It's fast for Canadian train standards, but
that's not saying much.

Well indeed - I do remember catching the Canadian once when it was 18
hours late and that seemed fairly normal (and I don't ever want to try
and kill 18 hours in Edmonton ever again)

To get back on topic, aren't the carriages on that train part of the
NightStar trains that were sold to VIA when they decided not to run
Eurostar to the regions (via London - hence on topic!)

Is there still a sleeper service on that route? I thought the nightstar
stock tends to go out on the Ocean (Montreal - Halifax).

They have seated stock as well as the sleeper and I certainly caught
that (with the very red lounge car) on some route between Quebec City
and Toronto (possibly with changes) some years back.