Old March 6th 18, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Woking to Heathrow

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:44:42 on Tue, 6 Mar
2018, John Williamson remarked:
On 06/03/2018 14:36, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:57:57
on Tue, 6 Mar 2018, David Cantrell remarked:

I know one person "up North" who paid an Uber driver under a fiver
get to the supermarket, but the trip back with a different driver cost
over ??20 because the driver got lost.

I am not a big fan of Uber but that seems rather apochyphal because
the Uber app quotes you the price before you get in the car.

It gives you an estimate, not a quote.
https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/23/...cing-replaces-
estimates-with-guarantees/

If you read down to the bottom of this page, it seems this only applies
in the USA and parts of India at the moment. There is no mention of it
being applied yet in the UK.

https://www.uber.com/newsroom/upfron...-no-surprises/

Rules of thumb are indeed hard to find (our bad for assuming Uber has a
consistent product!) This page requires you to pick a city:

https://help.uber.com/h/d2d43bbc-f4b...b-4bd8acf03a9d

London fares (three-component like hackneys)

Base Fare £2.50
+Per Minute £0.15
+Per Mile £1.25

Here's Newcastle ("up north" straw poll):

Base Fare £0.60
+Per Minute £0.10
+Per Mile £1.40 -interesting this is higher

A £5 fare would be (at 20mph) 2.6 miles, £20 11.5 miles. That's a
stupendous amount of "getting lost"

Yes, the claimed £5/£20 numbers don't really make sense, do they? And
surely most passengers would spot if a mini cab was so far off route?

Old March 7th 18, 08:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message
Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

It's a while since I used Uber but from what I recall the email receipt
includes a map with the route that was charged. AIUI the the driver is
expected to follow the route that was the basis of the quote, unless there
was a good reason for doing otherwise.

--
DAS

Old March 7th 18, 09:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tuesday, 6 March 2018 21:55:35 UTC, Recliner wrote:

Here's Newcastle ("up north" straw poll):

Base Fare £0.60
+Per Minute £0.10
+Per Mile £1.40 -interesting this is higher

A £5 fare would be (at 20mph) 2.6 miles, £20 11.5 miles. That's a
stupendous amount of "getting lost"

Yes, the claimed £5/£20 numbers don't really make sense, do they?

I thought it must have been "stuck in traffic" time - but at 10p a minute that would be a big, long traffic jam. It must be a combination.

Let's say the cab was stuck in traffic for 3 hours, and the punter asked the driver to take an alternative route which was an extra mile:
60p + £1.40 + £18 = £20.
That's a bit unlikely, but a bit of tweaking might produce something more realistic.
Old March 7th 18, 09:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06/03/2018 20:06, Roland Perry wrote:
A £5 fare would be (at 20mph) 2.6 miles, £20 11.5 miles. That's a stupendous amount of "getting lost"

Is Uber any good?

I've not been encouraged by their website. For a journey that we do occasionally by taxi from our local station to home, it shows a range of fares from £4 to £16 (a black cab typically costs £5.50). But the route shown on the web-site's map is neither the shortest nor the fastest, and indeed would involve getting lost, as it goes through two roads that actually do not connect (there is a mistake on Open Street Map that I've tried to correct but after several years it's still there). If that's what they use for navigation then I'm not impressed at all. It shows the same impossible route for some other journeys in the area.

--
Clive Page
Old March 7th 18, 10:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:36:14 on Wed, 7 Mar
2018, Clive Page remarked:

A £5 fare would be (at 20mph) 2.6 miles, £20 11.5 miles. That's a
stupendous amount of "getting lost"

Is Uber any good?

I've not been encouraged by their website. For a journey that we do
occasionally by taxi from our local station to home, it shows a range
of fares from £4 to £16 (a black cab typically costs £5.50).

Once you get outside metropolitan areas the cost per mile is a killer.
Even a short-ish trip to an airport (let's say 50 miles) is grossly
uncompetitive with local minicabs.

Old March 7th 18, 11:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2018\03\06 20:06, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:44:42 on Tue, 6 Mar
2018, John Williamson remarked:
On 06/03/2018 14:36, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:57:57
on Tue, 6 Mar 2018, David Cantrell remarked:

I know one person "up North" who paid an Uber driver under a fiver to
get to the supermarket, but the trip back with a differentÂ* driver

Â*https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/23/...cing-replaces-
estimates-with-guarantees/

If you read down to the bottom of this page, it seems this only
applies in the USA and parts of India at the moment. There is no
mention of it being applied yet in the UK.

https://www.uber.com/newsroom/upfron...-no-surprises/

Rules of thumb are indeed hard to find (our bad for assuming Uber has a
consistent product!) This page requires you to pick a city:

https://help.uber.com/h/d2d43bbc-f4b...b-4bd8acf03a9d

London fares (three-component like hackneys)

Base FareÂ*Â* £2.50
+Per Minute £0.15
+Per MileÂ*Â* £1.25

Here's Newcastle ("up north" straw poll):

Base FareÂ*Â* £0.60
+Per Minute £0.10
+Per MileÂ*Â* £1.40Â*Â* -interesting this is higher

A £5 fare would be (at 20mph) 2.6 miles, £20 11.5 miles. That's a
stupendous amount of "getting lost"

No, it isn't. There are countless places where one wrong turn can put
you on a motorway and add 10 or 20 miles to a journey.
Old March 7th 18, 11:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 07/03/2018 12:28, Basil Jet wrote:
snip

No, it isn't. There are countless places where one wrong turn can put
you on a motorway and add 10 or 20 miles to a journey.

Do Uber's terms and conditions leave the customer liable for the costs
of such a mistake (assuming the customer did not give the driver
instructions directions which caused it)? I'd have expected it to be
negligence by the driver - on the basis that any reasonably competent
driver of a PHV would either know a reasonable route or take steps
(SatNav, map, phone a friend, or whatever) to find one.
--
Robin
Old March 7th 18, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 07/03/2018 12:46, Robin wrote:
On 07/03/2018 12:28, Basil Jet wrote:
snip

No, it isn't. There are countless places where one wrong turn can put
you on a motorway and add 10 or 20 miles to a journey.

Do Uber's terms and conditions leave the customer liable for the costs
of such a mistake (assuming the customer did not give the driver
instructions directions which caused it)?Â* I'd have expected it to be
negligence by the driver - on the basis that any reasonably competent
driver of a PHV would either know a reasonable route or take steps
(SatNav, map, phone a friend, or whatever) to find one.

In my experience, youu pay the fare, complain to Uber, get a message
back within half an hour apologising and re-crediting you a chunk of the
fare.

Old March 7th 18, 01:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin" wrote in message
On 07/03/2018 12:28, Basil Jet wrote:
snip

No, it isn't. There are countless places where one wrong turn can put you
on a motorway and add 10 or 20 miles to a journey.

Do Uber's terms and conditions leave the customer liable for the costs of
such a mistake (assuming the customer did not give the driver instructions
directions which caused it)? I'd have expected it to be negligence by the
driver - on the basis that any reasonably competent driver of a PHV would
either know a reasonable route or take steps (SatNav, map, phone a friend,
or whatever) to find one.

The trip is charged automatically and it's possible that even the driver may
not be able to make an adjustment. So the customer can give the driver a bad
rating or ...

https://help.uber.com/h/0487f360-dc5...9-9d3f04810fa9
"My driver took a poor route

If you have concerns about the route your driver took, let us know here.
We'll be happy to review.

Trip fares are calculated including both distance and time, as well as other
applicable charges.

Please keep in mind that if events outside your driver's control (such as
traffic or road construction) impact your route and travel time, we may not
be able to provide a fare adjustment."
.... which would be more productive than moaning about it on a newsgroup.

--
DAS

Old March 7th 18, 01:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, Mar 06, 2018 at 02:36:19PM +0000, Roland Perry wrote:
on Tue, 6 Mar 2018, David Cantrell remarked:
It gives you an estimate, not a quote.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/23/...cing-replaces-
estimates-with-guarantees/

The Uber app on my phone, that I am looking at right now, and says that
it will cost GBP 21 - 28 to get me home, disagrees.

Gosh, I wonder which source I should trust.

--
David Cantrell | Bourgeois reactionary pig

Languages for which ISO-Latin-$n is not necessary, #1 in a series:

Latin