Old August 9th 17, 09:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New York Times on Crossrail

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 07:44:52 on Thu, 3 Aug
2017, Roland Perry remarked:

2. Bedford to Kettering. Newly electrified,

Is it, already?

Not completed, but intended to be.

We are talking about NR and Grayling here. The only thing you can
reasonably expect is that whatever they claim today may change tomorrow.

suitable for 125 mph electric
or diesel trains. IEPs will outperform the existing diesels.

3. Kettering to Leicester and on to Derby, Nottingham and Sheffield.
Electrification work started,

Just a few bridge works.

but work will be suspended indefinitely. Bi-mode IEPs will be able to
run, but performance will be worse than current diesel trains,
specially the Meridians.

So keep the Meridians.

Yes, but not the HSTs.

There's only one tph (to Nottingham) operated by HSTs, and now
electrification has been cancelled they'll have to find something else
to replace the HST. But I doubt it'll be IEPs.

It occurs to me that if the line is electrified to Corby (despite it
being "North of Kettering", that's what the "Bedford to Kettering
electrification" is all about) then they could release the three
Meridians used for that service to replace HSTs on the main line.

Three short Meridians wouldn't be enough, surely?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old August 9th 17, 09:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message
-septe
mber.org, at 21:02:55 on Tue, 8 Aug 2017, Recliner
remarked:

The Victoria line

Must make getting the trains in and out of the depot at
Northumberland Park a bitch.

and Drain

Up to a point. The depot at Waterloo (which I've had a walking tour
round back in the day) is more sunken than under*ground*.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5067/5...83047678_b.jpg

are entirely underground, so no portals.

https://binged.it/2frzpgA

Showing that the Northumberland Park depot portals are in a covered way.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old August 9th 17, 10:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

[...]

No. And it would be politically unacceptable for the new MML franchise to
make no use of the newly electrified line. So it's a safe bet that Grayling
knew what he was talking about when he announced that bi-modes would be
used.

In the absence of any other obvious options for a partly-electrified 125
mph line, I think that must mean IEPs, probably a new 802 variant. I think
Bombardier missed its chance to insert a pantograph car into the class 22x
fleet.

Old August 9th 17, 12:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017\08\09 12:29, Recliner wrote:
On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 14:35:31 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:

Painful? Thats an interesting euphamism for not possible.

What's a 'euphamism'?

It's a euphemism for euphemism.
Old August 9th 17, 12:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 10:01:39 on Wed, 9 Aug 2017, Recliner
remarked:

It occurs to me that if the line is electrified to Corby (despite it
being "North of Kettering", that's what the "Bedford to Kettering
electrification" is all about) then they could release the three
Meridians used for that service to replace HSTs on the main line.

Three short Meridians wouldn't be enough, surely?

No. And it would be politically unacceptable

Whereas scrapping almost all the new MML electrification *is*
politically acceptable?

for the new MML franchise to make no use of the newly electrified line.

It wouldn't be making "no use"; there'd be EMUs from St Pancras to
Corby, assuming that route wasn't transferred to Thameslink.

So it's a safe bet that Grayling knew what he was talking about when he
announced that bi-modes would be used.

He knew he was buying time, knowing that this frog still has several
rounds of being boiled to come.
Old August 9th 17, 12:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 06:07:58 on Fri, 4 Aug 2017, Recliner
remarked:

I take it you don't read any railway magazines?

I don't read magazines yet to be printed. MML electrification was
only cancelled ten days ago.

RAIL dated yesterday (Wednesday) has the story on its front cover.

What does LIAR say about the fleet post-HST?

It quotes Grayling as saying that bi-modes will be used.

Ask again in three weeks, and you'll probably get a different answer.
He's just regurgitating a somewhat tired figleaf.

Serious question: does Grayling have a reputation for regularly changing
his mind?

He'll be long gone as Transport Minister before the next round of frog
boiling.

Old August 9th 17, 12:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 13:09:30 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2017\08\09 12:29, Recliner wrote:
On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 14:35:31 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:

Painful? Thats an interesting euphamism for not possible.

What's a 'euphamism'?

It's a euphemism for euphemism.

Now, now, don't go confusing Spultar…