Old September 9th 17, 07:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Tube passengers tracked by phone WiFi

Graeme Wall wrote:
On 09/09/2017 13:16, Graham Murray wrote:
Graeme Wall writes:

Shopping malls have been doing a similar thing to send you "targetted
adverts" as you approach various shops.

How effective is this? Maybe I am unusual, but when I am shopping my
phone is normally in my pocket, so I would not see these adverts. Apart
from incoming (phone) calls, the only time I would look at my phone in a
shopping mall is when sat in a coffee shop or restaurant.

I believe it has only happened in the States so far, but judging by the
number of young women one sees walking round with their smart phones
permanently in front of their faces, it has the potential to be quite
effective. Also I think the initial adverts are text messages so you
would hear an alert.

Texts would be more difficult that just tailoring already-requested
advertising to your specific location, surely? Though presumably very local
mobile (rather than wifi) transmitters would be able to harvest phone
numbers; by wifi that'd need some way of finding phone numbers from
whatever info wifi can harvest.

Anna Noyd-Dryver