Old April 25th 04, 08:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube Map + Property Values

Nick Cooper wrote:

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 19:12:48 +0930, (Aidan Stanger)
wrote:

Dave Newt firebird.remove.net.this.remove.me.20.den@spamgou rmet.com
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

I am guessing but the transition from urban Hackney to the lower reaches
of the Lea Valley with canals, canal side pubs, pony trekking centres
and the marsh lands. Go for a walk on them - you would never know you
were in London and the cycle path beside the canal is very pleasant on a
warm day. Obviously you then wander into Waltham Forest which is a
built up area but I always feel that it is somehow "separated" from
Inner London. Certainly true if you cross from Tottenham over Forest
Road with reservoirs each side with people fishing and birds skimming
the water - lovely on a Summer's morning at 07.00 on the top deck of a
123 bus.

Oh!

I assumed the OP was referring to the stench of poppers and skunk coming
from the teenage mothers on the top deck.

(At least that was my experience of the 48 on Lea Bridge Road last week.)

Sorry to sound so naïve, but what do poppers smell like?

Like Amyl Nitrite :-)

You beat me to it! It's hard to describe (there's a kinda swimming
pool/ozone thing going on in there), but once you know what it smells
like, it's impossible to miss.

I also got trapped in the corner of a very busy tube train once with a
group of four people next to me doing them (and their dog on a string
sitting on my feet) - had quite a sore head by the time they got off!

Old April 27th 04, 09:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin May" wrote in message
Highbury and Islington (silverlink platforms) is a rather unpleasant
place to wait for a train, although entertainment is provided in the
form of occasional violent spectacles.

The worst I've had on a train was on a West Anglia 'inner London' service,
it was a service from Chingford I boarded and there was a guy wandering
around the train with a knife.
IIRC I had come from Blackhorse Road and needed to get back to Liverpool
Street, after that it was a case of, Next time will use Tottenham Hale
instead!