Old October 17th 20, 04:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Congestion charge to N/S Circular??????

In message , at 17:03:09 on Sat, 17 Oct
2020, tim... remarked:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 14:51:54 on Sat, 17 Oct
2020, tim... remarked:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 10:06:04 on Sat, 17 Oct
2020, Recliner remarked:

I'd imagine that it would also severely impact people living or working
just outside the Circular Roads, and they wouldn't even have the
option of
a resident's discount.

What's the situation with the existing CC? Do all London residents
get the discount, or only those living inside the rather small
zone itself

you have to live inside the zone

the reason is that the charge is raised on all cars parked on street
in the zone, even if you don't drive anywhere that day

Will they be doing patrols for such static cars if the zone is extended?

that's what they do inside now

but the huge increase in scale makes that enforcement impractical

which is what Recliner said earlier

So you'll only have to pay of you venture out. Sounds fair enough to me.

Old October 17th 20, 05:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

[...]

we don't know the rules, as it's not been agreed

and hopefully never will be

Old October 17th 20, 08:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

tim... wrote:

[...]

Yes, that's the key point: this is a threat from the government, not a TfL
plan.

Old October 17th 20, 08:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17/10/2020 15:52, Recliner wrote:

certainly hasn't agreed to it. It's possible that all the TfL services
(apart from the Woolwich ferry) will close within days.

TfL said last night they have agreed the money to keep going to the end
of the month.

It's fun seeing the ferry disclaimer on all the commentary about the
situation.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old October 18th 20, 08:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:02:59 on Sat, 17 Oct
2020, Recliner remarked:
tim... wrote:

[...]

But without agreeing to something like this, TfL will be bankrupt and
have to "cease trading". The public will perceive agreement to such a
plan as something the mayor was complicit in.

Old October 18th 20, 08:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
21:08:06 on Sat, 17 Oct 2020, Arthur Figgis
remarked:

certainly hasn't agreed to it. It's possible that all the TfL services
(apart from the Woolwich ferry) will close within days.

TfL said last night they have agreed the money to keep going to the end
of the month.

It's fun seeing the ferry disclaimer on all the commentary about the
situation.

There's probably some Act of Parliament which says it has to continue,
come what may.
Old October 18th 20, 08:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18/10/2020 09:31, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
21:08:06 on Sat, 17 Oct 2020, Arthur Figgis
remarked:

certainly hasn't agreed to it. It's possible that all the TfL services
(apart from the Woolwich ferry) will close within days.

TfL said last night they have agreed the money to keep going to the
end of the month.

It's fun seeing the ferry disclaimer on all the commentary about the
situation.

There's probably some Act of Parliament which says it has to continue,
come what may.

It's the only commuter service TfL is legally obliged to operate. It
became free from 1889 after the the Metropolitan Board of Works took
over and removed tolls from the bridges in West London. The original Act
of Parliament, in 1811, set up a commercial ferry, which was taken over
in 1844 by the Eastern Counties Railway.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old October 18th 20, 08:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
21:08:06 on Sat, 17 Oct 2020, Arthur Figgis
remarked:

certainly hasn't agreed to it. It's possible that all the TfL services
(apart from the Woolwich ferry) will close within days.

TfL said last night they have agreed the money to keep going to the end
of the month.

It's fun seeing the ferry disclaimer on all the commentary about the
situation.

There's probably some Act of Parliament which says it has to continue,
come what may.

Yes, I believe that is the case:

From the PM's local paper:

https://www.hillingdontimes.co.uk/news/18799870.tfl-bailout-row-plans-extend-congestion-charge/

TfL has relied on Government cash during the coronavirus crisis, after its
income from passenger fares fell 90 per cent at the peak of the virus.

If a new deal cannot be agreed with Government, the network will be forced
to issue a Section 114 order – the equivalent of bankruptcy for a public
body.

The transport authority would then only be allowed to operate services it
is required to by law – taxi licensing, free school buses for some
children, and the Woolwich Ferry.

———————

My guess is that the current mayor would easily win that game of chicken
with the former mayor.

Old October 18th 20, 08:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

tim... wrote:

[...]

No, I'm pretty sure Boris and his floundering government will get the blame
if TfL is forced to issue a Section 114 order, the equivalent of bankruptcy
for a public body. Even local Tories will blame Boris.

Old October 18th 20, 09:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 08:58:12 on Sun, 18 Oct
2020, Recliner remarked:
tim... wrote:

[...]

I disagree, the electorate will blame the Labour mayor for the
mismanagement which got TfL into that situation.

Which includes him failing to arrange a similar deal that national TOCs
have for funding during the pandemic.