Old December 11th 20, 05:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Have the 483s had their final run?

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Recliner wrote:
I just spotted this tweet from Geoff Marshall:

Geoff Marshall
@geofftech
·
3h
So I rode the ‘38 yesterday. Today there was no train. Then this has just
appeared … no trains for another WEEK; what if it still doesn’t resume
after that! Did I just inadvertently manage to ride on the last day that
they were in service … ?

https://twitter.com/geofftech/status...758822407?s=21

006 failed last week, 008 failed yesterday (one post suggests axle box
problems?). 007 is supposedly nearing the end of an overhaul. Another post
suggests service may resume on Monday.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/355569249197459/ has some knowledgeable
people posting and commenting.

007 returned to service today; finishing early at 1800 AIUI in order to
allow the 484 to continue test running.

The 484 has made multiple trips to Shanklin under its own power, I believe;
but I've not seen any reports of it going through the tunnel, yet.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

I watched the 483 go past on the webcam this afternoon , it may be my
imagination or the light conditions but it looked like the roof was a lot
cleaner than when it was out last and the bodywork looked a bit brighter ,
I wonder if the staff at Ryde depot decided to give it a little extra TLC
so it looks reasonably good for its last journeys.
Perhaps a way of using paint stocks up seeing as the 484 is in standard SWR
livery which means of course the Island line will have trains sharing a
livery with the mainland for the first time since they were Network
SouthEast, a livery which IMHO suited the 483’s far better than one would
have expected.

GH

Old December 12th 20, 01:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Recliner wrote:
[...]

Initially there were reports the line was closing again for the weekend for
engineering work but
007 looking very smart took up duties this morning.
Unfortunately it failed late morning and is back in the depot.
Hasn’t this overhaul taken 3 years? Hopefully it is something niggling that
can easily be fixed.

The 484 has made multiple trips to Shanklin under its own power, I believe;
but I've not seen any reports of it going through the tunnel, yet.

I think it was last Monday that Ryde Pier head had a few people wearing
HIVIZ and standing by survey instruments on tripods spread along the
platform so maybe clearances were being checked what with there being a
sharp curve into the station , possibly esplanade needs measuring as well.

GH
Old December 12th 20, 01:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 12/12/2020 14:03, Marland wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Recliner wrote:
[...]

Shouldn't they have done that before ordering the new trains?

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old December 12th 20, 04:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Graeme Wall wrote:
[...]

I don’t think there will be a problem,after all normal stock albeit at the
smaller end of mainline loading gauge worked the line for the best part of
a century, but after 55 years of operating tube sized vehicles some re
adjustments would be understandable for any test run with tube stock being
narrower than subsurface. Some will needed anyway for unassisted wheeled
disability access is to be implemented. At the moment the guard is pretty
prompt at getting ramps for those who need them but can only be at one set
of doors at a time. Part of the upgrade of the infrastructure is to provide
level access to platforms though how they do it at Ryde Esplanade with its
curved platform will interesting, end doors only perhaps.
Pier station has a curve at the end but enough straight after to cope
with the length of trains.

GH

Old December 12th 20, 09:22 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Marland wrote:
Graeme Wall wrote:
[...]

Perhaps the surveyors were there to calculate *exactly* the track and
platform realignment needed during the track renewal?

Old December 13th 20, 10:40 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:

The 484 has made multiple trips to Shanklin under its own power,

Watching a recording of one of those on You tube I’m curious if these test
runs are the first time the D78 stock and subsequent VivaRail evolutions of
it have been signalled by semaphores or do the other area (s)where some are
working have some ? I’m guessing that will be a short term scene on the
Island as presumably these last semaphores around Ryde will be replaced as
Ryde box gets modernised as part of the upgrade .

GH

Old December 13th 20, 08:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Recliner wrote:
[...]

When the New York City Subway started commissioning and testing what was
then the brand new R-38 in the 60s, they realised that there was loading
no gauge on some of the tighter curves, particularly on the Fulton
Street Line.

This prompted the works to allow gauge clearance as well as removing
some of the walkways around towers (signal boxes).
Old December 14th 20, 07:56 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 21:50:13 +0000
" wrote:
On 12/12/2020 14:05, Graeme Wall wrote:
Shouldn't they have done that before ordering the new trains?

When the New York City Subway started commissioning and testing what was
then the brand new R-38 in the 60s, they realised that there was loading
no gauge on some of the tighter curves, particularly on the Fulton
Street Line.

This prompted the works to allow gauge clearance as well as removing
some of the walkways around towers (signal boxes).

IIRC something similar happened when the 73 stock arrived on the Piccadilly
line. The new cars were longer and so the throw was greater and the tunnels
linings around south ken had to be "shaved".