Old May 23rd 04, 08:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default DLR and one-unders

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

Yes, you could probably call them a "guard". I think the passengers are
happier with the concept of no guard rather than no driver, though.

I'd still call them the driver because obviously they would still have to be
drive the trains manually occasionally (as I believe they already do) to
remain fully trained. And with the peak loadings on both lines they would
have to be in the cab for several hours a day anyway.

Dave

Old May 23rd 04, 08:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Darren
] writes
Andrew P Smith wrote:
Wrong. Very wrong. You can't get rid of the drivers on the Central and
Victoria, They are there for passenger safety and when the computer
fails they can drive the train manually. They are also looking out for
obstructions and people on the line etc.
DLR train captains can drive the train manually from the control
panel.

I was sitting in the front on a DLR train once when the captain came
and sat near me and said he was taking control because "the track
workers were out", we I didnt see anyone, and after driving carefully
to the next station he closed the controls back up and everything
carried on auto, could it have been that he had a report of someone on
the line?

Quite possibly.
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this
Old May 23rd 04, 08:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Dave Liney
writes

If you read my post again you'll notice that I don't say that you could. I
just said that you could dispense with them staying in the cab. Obviously
they would have to be there when the trains are heavily loaded but during
the off-peak time they could be in the main passenger areas and act as a
reassuring presence.

Wrong. Who is going to look out for obstructions on the track etc if
they are in the 5th carriage.....

They are also looking out for
obstructions and people on the line etc.

Yet this isn't a problem on the DLR.

Which runs along purpose built track. But it still gets people walking
on it now and then.

DLR train captains can drive the train manually from the control panel.

I know. But most of the time they don't and so can be in with the
passengers.

Your point being?
Old May 23rd 04, 08:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Andrew P Smith" wrote in message
In article , Dave Liney
writes

the off-peak time they could be in the main passenger areas and act as a
reassuring presence.

Wrong. Who is going to look out for obstructions on the track etc if
they are in the 5th carriage.....

Wrong? About what? They aren't going to be a reassuring presence? I think
you'll find that they would be.

Yet this isn't a problem on the DLR.

Which runs along purpose built track. But it still gets people walking
on it now and then.

Whereas the Central and Victoria lines run along general purpose roads along
with bicycles and pedestrians?

DLR train captains can drive the train manually from the control panel.

I know. But most of the time they don't and so can be in with the
passengers.

Your point being?

That although they are in with the passengers there doesn't seem to be a
huge number of deaths on the DLR.

Dave.

Old May 23rd 04, 10:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Dave Liney
writes

"Andrew P Smith" wrote in message
In article , Dave Liney
writes

the off-peak time they could be in the main passenger areas and act as a
reassuring presence.

Wrong. Who is going to look out for obstructions on the track etc if
they are in the 5th carriage.....

Wrong? About what? They aren't going to be a reassuring presence? I think
you'll find that they would be.

Yes they would be a reassuring presence but I would much prefer to have
the driver of the train driving it. I get nervous when I see the Captain
of an aircraft walking back through the cabin for anything other than a
wee wee (in the toilet that is - not the cabin!!!!!!)

Yet this isn't a problem on the DLR.

Which runs along purpose built track. But it still gets people walking
on it now and then.

Whereas the Central and Victoria lines run along general purpose roads along
with bicycles and pedestrians?

The track is more accessible to the public than the DLR track.

DLR train captains can drive the train manually from the control panel.

I know. But most of the time they don't and so can be in with the
passengers.

Your point being?

That although they are in with the passengers there doesn't seem to be a
huge number of deaths on the DLR.

Irrelevant.

Dave.

Old May 23rd 04, 10:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

[...]

DLR guards can now often be seen operating the doors, etc from the front
panel, especially during busy times so that they can see the track ahead.
Apparently they often get kids leaving things on the line in a deliberate
attempt to derail trains.

Daniel.
--
email : heliomass (at) lykos (dot) co (dot) uk
replace the 'k' with a 'c' in "lykos"

Old May 24th 04, 12:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Andrew P Smith wrote the following in:

In article , Dave
Liney writes

Yet this isn't a problem on the DLR.

Which runs along purpose built track. But it still gets people
walking on it now and then.

Whereas the Central and Victoria lines run along general purpose
roads along with bicycles and pedestrians?

The track is more accessible to the public than the DLR track.

The whole of the Victoria line is in deep tube tunnels, apart from at
the depot. I don't think it's possible for track to be less accessible
to the public and there are certainly areas on the DLR where the track
is more accessible to the public than that. So you are wrong.

--
message by Robin May, but I would say that, wouldn't I?
"GIVE IN! IT'S TIME TO GO!" - The NHS offers a high standard of care.

"You MUST NOT drive dangerously" - the Highway Code
Spelling lesson: then and than are different words.
Old May 24th 04, 06:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Robin May
writes

The whole of the Victoria line is in deep tube tunnels, apart from at
the depot. I don't think it's possible for track to be less accessible
to the public and there are certainly areas on the DLR where the track
is more accessible to the public than that. So you are wrong.

No I'm not.

What is there to stop someone wandering off the platform and down a
tunnel.....
Old May 24th 04, 08:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
ps Is the Central automatic the whole length now? I thought it was only
the middle section.

I believe so, although I think one of the easterly sections is
driven in manual mode at certain times to keep the drivers in
practice.

--
You dont have to be illiterate to use the Internet, but it help's.
Old May 24th 04, 08:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Andrew P Smith wrote:
What is there to stop someone wandering off the platform and down a
tunnel.....

The same thing that stops someone wandering off a platform and along
the track at a DLR station?

--
You dont have to be illiterate to use the Internet, but it help's.