Old July 7th 04, 11:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL Vision of the Future map

Michael Hoffman wrote the following
in: news:Pine.WNT.4.58.0407072222220.3224@ZVAVZBB

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, John Rowland wrote:

"Sam Holloway" wrote in message
* No apostrophes in Earls Court, Regents Park,
Kings Cross, etc! Is this one of the plans for 2016? :-)

Quite possibly! Apostrophe abuse is so common now that
getting rid of them altogether could be the way forward. :-)

Aposatrophy?

More like apostrophe apostasy.

I'd call it apostratrocity.

--
message by Robin May-Silk and his close friend, Robert Kilroy-Kotton
"GIVE IN! IT'S TIME TO GO!" - The NHS offers a high standard of care.

Would you take the office of relief?:
http://robinmay.fotopic.net/p4600200.html

Old July 7th 04, 11:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Stuart wrote:

What's with the Thameslink line that goes from St Pancras through
Finsbury Park and then up north somewhere?

It will run on existing track to Peterborough, Cambridge and King's Lynn.

http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/23
--
Michael Hoffman
Old July 8th 04, 07:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Annabel Smyth wrote:
On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 at 08:40:56, Dan Gravell
wrote:

And yes, a reliable link to Brixton would be much nicer. I know about
the corridor through Streatham particularly around the library that
makes it difficult, but either just sod the cars or bulldoze Lidl imo.
Either way it's win:win

Why can't they go down Tooting Bec Common, if they can't go down the
High Road? (No, I don't want them to bulldoze Lidl; I like Lidl!)

If you consider the route to the common that's quite a gradient at
Ambleside Avenue. I'm not sure if trams could cope with that? (not an
expert myself though).

I guess it could cut into the common slightly where the horse riding
track is at the moment, then cut into the Streatham Hill area (not sure
about how the well heeled residents would feel about that though... what
do I care, BULLDOZE!). Come out at the high road at Streatham Hill and
onto Brixton from there.
Old July 8th 04, 08:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Marc Brett" wrote...

There was some talk about eliminating Kew Gardens and Richmond from
the District Line, to be replaced by Crossrail. The PDF map shows
them both in place. Does this mean that the District Line will be
preserved intact, or is this still under review?

And, it still shows a Network Rail connection at Old Street while the WAGN
line from Finsbury Park runs to the Thameslink instead of Moorgate.
Confused? I am.

Old July 8th 04, 09:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote...

The omissions are more interesting.

Park Royal interchange

I thought plans were well advanced for that?

West Hampstead Met Interchange

A West Hampstead Chiltern interchange might be more interesting

Tufnell Park Goblin interchange (no surprise)

And the map doesn't even show the existing conveninent walk between Archway
and Upper Holloway. (No worse than walking from Clapham North to Clampham
High St.) Guess TfL isn't interested in the Goblin...

Langdon Park DLR station - whatever happened to that?
New H&C station at White City

Crazy ideas I'd like to have seen, but there always was No Chance:

Morden Road interchange for Tramlink and Northern line.
Extension of Northern line to Morden South.
Extension of DLR from Lewisham to Hayes and Beckenham Jn.
Brixton interchange on South (or East?) London Line.
Colindeep Lane interchange between Thameslink and Northern Line.
South Hampstead interchange for Chiltern Line.
Re-open Primrose Hill line to take ELLE to Kilburn.

Old July 8th 04, 09:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Stuart wrote in uk.transport.london on Thu, 08 Jul 2004 00:19:41 +0100
:

Paul Terry wrote:
It is ... although for me the most interesting part is that even by 2016
the mayor does not expect his maps to acknowledge the existence of most
of the surface rail network that serves me and many millions of others
living close to the centre of which he is mayor.

Integrated transport? Come on Ken ...

It would be a bit crowded!

Remember, this is a TfL map and TfL don't, at the moment at least, have
authority over those lines. The National Rail lines that are included
are those that appear on the tube map at the moment (Silverlink,
Thameslink etc)

Understood, though I would have expected the GN suburban to have more
than just a vague arrow northwards from Finsbury Park, given the
changes under Thameslink 2000??

Dave

--
If the Internet is a Marx Brothers movie, and
Web, e-mail, and IRC are Groucho, Chico, and Harpo,
Old July 8th 04, 09:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Solar Penguin wrote:

And, it still shows a Network Rail connection at Old Street while the
WAGN line from Finsbury Park runs to the Thameslink instead of Moorgate.
Confused? I am.

AIUI, the TL2K plan doesn't involve closing the GN Electrics route from
Finsbury Park to Moorgate, just taking trains which currently terminate at
King's Cross onto Thameslink. Thus, there will still be service from FP to
MG, via Old Street.

tom

--
I see large and small words on this page, arranged in long rows separated by little dotty characters. Suspect written by little dotty characters, too. -- RonJeffries

Old July 8th 04, 09:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Extending the Bakerloo and Victoria lines south TfL Vision of the Future map

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 15:39:42 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:
On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Sam Holloway wrote:
Any mooted plans to extend Victoria or Bakerloo lines south must be
pretty dormant.

I've heard mention of such plans, but no details (at least not for the
Victoria). What exactly has been proposed (seriously or not)?

I have a press cutting (unfortunately can't find it at the moment)
dating from the annoucement of the southerly East London Line
extensions. There was very undetailed map of London with some vague
arrows coming off the bottom of the Bakerloo and Victoria lines,
implying extensions.

Bakerloo southern extensions have been seriously mooted in the past -
indeed, there are some Tube diagrams with the Bakerloo shown as "under
construction" another stop (to Camberwell, I think). The only serious
Victoria extension I know of is the loop described in the other
postings on this thread.

Sam
--
Sam Holloway, Cambridge
Old July 8th 04, 09:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Hillam" ] wrote in message

The National Rail lines that are included are those
that appear on the tube map at the moment (Silverlink,
Thameslink etc)

Understood, though I would have expected the GN suburban
to have more than just a vague arrow northwards from
Finsbury Park, given the changes under Thameslink 2000??

The GN inner suburban isn't changing under TL2k. The outer suburban runs
non-stop from Kings Cross to the sticks.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old July 8th 04, 09:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Sam Holloway" wrote in message

Bakerloo southern extensions have been seriously
mooted in the past - indeed, there are some Tube
diagrams with the Bakerloo shown as "under
construction" another stop (to Camberwell, I think).

Camberwell was the southern terminus promised on a sign at one of the
Bakerloo stations (Maida Vale, I think). ISTR the sign in question was
stolen a few years ago.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped