Old July 14th 04, 08:12 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Default Changing railstation names

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 at 21:50:54, John of Aix
wrote:

"David Splett" a écrit dans le message de news:

Why do we have to have any stations named after Arsenal? Some of us

don't
care in the slightest about football.

You're some sort of bleedin' alien ain't ya?

Surely he is the normal one?
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 6 June 2004

Old July 14th 04, 10:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Splett wrote:
"Al" wrote in message
Having wandered about Ashburton Grove, site of the new Arsenal FC
ground, it occured to me that there are three roughly equidistant
rail stations. I humbly suggest changing their names.
"Arsenal" on Plimsoll Road (Piccadilly) could become "Arsenal West"
"Drayton Park" could become "Arsenal Central" and
"Holloway Road" (Piccadilly) could become "Arsenal East".
If this can be arranged, I'd further like to suggest changing the
LB Islington's name to "London Borough of Arsenal". Would that be
okay?

Why do we have to have any stations named after Arsenal? Some of
us don't care in the slightest about football.

Because it's better known than Gillespie Road.

Do you feel the same way about cricket? If so, what alternative but
distinctive name would you therefore propose for Oval?

[Crossposting trimmed]
--
Richard J.

Old July 14th 04, 11:24 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Al wrote:
Ancient One wrote:

They should drop the "railway station" bit.... it's a bit
misleading, people might thing they can catch a trian there

What else does one catch apart from a train (excluding anything
unpleasent such as diseases etc)?

I was about to point that out myself, seeing as I was with the art.
before joining the RMA.

One can catch a bus, catch a movie or catch the redeye. One can catch
a doorlock, catch a little fishy for a little dishy, and catch some
zzzzzs.

Very true, but not at a railway station which is what is being talked about
here.

Old July 14th 04, 11:29 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

John of Aix wrote:
"David Splett" a écrit dans le message de news:

Why do we have to have any stations named after Arsenal? Some of us
don't care in the slightest about football.

You're some sort of bleedin' alien ain't ya?

There are a great many people to whom football is of no interest at all. In
fact there are some people who positively detest it. Still others think it
is a pastime for those of low intellect sine it requires no intelligence to
follow. Your team scores, you shout "Hooray" (or whatever). The opposing
team scores you shout "Boo" (or whatever).

However, each to his own, If that is how some people choose to spend their
time then good for them. Just don't inflict it on me.

Old July 15th 04, 05:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Richard J.
writes
Do you feel the same way about cricket? If so, what alternative but
distinctive name would you therefore propose for Oval?

"Kennington Oval", as it's the name of the road there. Perhaps shortened
to "Oval"....

You wouldn't want to suggest renaming "Trent Bridge" (in Nottingham) on
all the bus timetables, just because there's a cricket ground nearby,
would you?

Old July 15th 04, 07:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

In message , Richard J.
writes
Do you feel the same way about cricket? If so, what alternative but
distinctive name would you therefore propose for Oval?

"Kennington Oval", as it's the name of the road there. Perhaps shortened
to "Oval"....

You wouldn't want to suggest renaming "Trent Bridge" (in Nottingham) on
all the bus timetables, just because there's a cricket ground nearby,
would you?

In that case, Upton Park station should be renamed West Ham. That'll
alleviate any confusion.
--
Ian Tindale
Old July 15th 04, 07:36 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Piccadilly Pilot" a écrit dans le message
de news: ...

There are a great many people to whom football is of no interest at

all. In
fact there are some people who positively detest it. Still others

think it
is a pastime for those of low intellect sine it requires no

intelligence to
follow. Your team scores, you shout "Hooray" (or whatever). The

opposing
team scores you shout "Boo" (or whatever).

However, each to his own, If that is how some people choose to spend

their
time then good for them. Just don't inflict it on me.

Of course and while personally I like football I think there is far too
much sport on TV and far too much importance given to sport. But one
could say that about a lot of things; politics, pop music, journalism,
99% of TV shows, but who decides? Only the public in the end, they take
it or leave it.

Old July 15th 04, 08:18 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Piccadilly Pilot wrote:

There are a great many people to whom football is of no interest at all.
In fact there are some people who positively detest it. Still others think
it is a pastime for those of low intellect sine it requires no
intelligence to follow. Your team scores, you shout "Hooray" (or
whatever). The opposing team scores you shout "Boo" (or whatever)

Sport in general is ridiculous and should be banned.

Civilisation pays certain people huge amounts of money to make a ball be in
different places on a green oblong.

While there are people starving, etc,
--
Ian Tindale
Old July 15th 04, 09:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Ian Tindale
writes
You wouldn't want to suggest renaming "Trent Bridge" (in Nottingham) on
all the bus timetables, just because there's a cricket ground nearby,
would you?

In that case, Upton Park station should be renamed West Ham. That'll
alleviate any confusion.

Oddly enough there's a bridge over the river Trent called Trent Bridge;
however the nearest patch of open space in West Ham is called Priory
Park. There's already a West Ham station further to the west, and East
Ham to the east. "East Ham West" seems a bit of a mouthful... how about
"East Plaistow"?