Old August 11th 04, 07:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Metropolitan Line Questions

Andrew P Smith wrote:
In article , DeepSearcher
writes

El Mon, 09 Aug 2004 21:55:11 +0100, Andrew P Smith escribió:

In article , Matthew P Jones
writes

A large whole has been dug with supports put in.

I think you mean 'hole'.

Tut tut, your grammar is terrible.....

With all due respect, Andrew, your diagnosis is faulty. It's not Mathew's
grammar but his spelling that is playing up. Grammatically, the whole
sentence hangs together very nicely; he's even used a passive voice

Regards,

Searcher

I take spelling to be a part of grammar.

In that case, you should be working on your vocabulary!

Old August 11th 04, 07:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Jack Taylor (Jack @Carney.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

When I type my original questions, not only did I get the wrong whole
/ hole - I also typed Chorleywood wrong! I checked the station signs
tonight, they all say Chorleywood.

Until fairly recently there were certainly a handful of the enamel
ones at the extremities of the platforms, with "Chorley Wood" on. I
hadn't noticed that they'd gone, either!

Bloody hell, when did they disappear?
Old August 11th 04, 09:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"DeepSearcher" wrote in message
El Mon, 09 Aug 2004 21:55:11 +0100, Andrew P Smith escribió:
In article , Matthew P Jones
writes

A large whole has been dug with supports put in.

I think you mean 'hole'.

Tut tut, your grammar is terrible.....

Grammatically, the whole sentence hangs together
very nicely; he's even used a passive voice

But what about the preposition at the end of the sentence?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old August 11th 04, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 at 10:29:54, John Rowland
wrote:

But what about the preposition at the end of the sentence?

To quote, or misquote, more probably, Winston Churchill: "That is a
pedantry up with which I will not put!"
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 7 August 2004 - for a limited time, be bored by my holiday
Old August 11th 04, 11:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Adrian
writes
Matthew P Jones ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

Chorley Wood.
Chorley Wood.
Chorley Wood

Does anybody know why the London Underground station signs have the name of
the town wrong? EVERYBODY else (inc OS, post office, road signs) all have
it as one word. The only place I've noticed it as two is on the station
signs. Even the LU maps have it as one.

I was staggered yesterday when I used Hillingdon Station for the first
time to find that the signs still give the suffix (Swakeley's). I
thought that that went years ago and certainly with the rebuilding there
you can't blame it on old signs.

Incidentally, it took me three trains from Hillingdon to Baker Street.
The signalling problems caused my train to be terminated at Harrow on
the Hill. We waited there while another five trains also terminated
before one came going through to Baker Street. (All the time, though,
the announcements were clear, frequent and informative.)

We eventually boarded the "Baker Street" train only for *that* to be
terminated at Wembley Park. So everyone piled onto the Jubilee and I
decided to go to Saint John's Wood (my afternoon destination) early
instead. Everything was sorted out by the time I travelled back,
though.

--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for

Old August 11th 04, 01:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Matthew P Jones wrote:
snip
Anyway, anyone know anything about a passing loop at the station
between Rickmansworth and Chalfont & Latimer?!

Vol2 of Bill Simpson's A history of the Metropolitan Railway has a 1908
plan of Chorley Wood Station and it is most probable that there was a loop
via part of the goods yard. I say probable as the southern connection (if
there was one, has been chopped from the illustration.

On the name front the same publication yields the following words of
wisdom:-

The station opened July8 1889 and the name Chorley Wood was retained until
1915 when it was changed to Chorley Wood and Chenies until 1934. From that
time until 1965 it reverted back to Chorley Wood and then changed to its
present title of Chorleywood.

--
Cheers for now,

John from Harrow, Middx

Old August 12th 04, 08:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Kat" wrote in message
In message , Richard J.
writes
John Rowland wrote:

But what about the preposition at the end of the sentence?

What preposition? "in" is an adverb in this case.

I'm not convinced!

Anyway, a preposition is a perfectly
acceptable word to end a sentence with.

It is in spoken English, but I wouldn't do it in a job application.

Is it a preposition?

No, it's a pronoun.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old August 12th 04, 10:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Kat wrote:
In message ,
Richard J. writes
John Rowland wrote:
"DeepSearcher" wrote in message
El Mon, 09 Aug 2004 21:55:11 +0100, Andrew P Smith escribió:
In article , Matthew P Jones
writes

A large whole has been dug with supports put in.

I think you mean 'hole'.

Tut tut, your grammar is terrible.....

Grammatically, the whole sentence hangs together
very nicely; he's even used a passive voice

But what about the preposition at the end of the sentence?

What preposition? "in" is an adverb in this case. Anyway, a
preposition is a perfectly acceptable word to end a sentence with.

Is it a preposition?
"A large whole has been dug with supports put in (it)"
innit!

No, "supports put in it" would mean that the supports were just placed
inside the whole, sorry, hole. Matthew used the phrasal verb "put in"
meaning (in this case) "install", not the verb "put" meaning merely
"place" or "leave".
--
Richard J.

Old August 12th 04, 08:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
John Rowland wrote:

"DeepSearcher" wrote in message

El Mon, 09 Aug 2004 21:55:11 +0100, Andrew P Smith escribió:

In article , Matthew P Jones
writes

A large whole has been dug with supports put in.

I think you mean 'hole'.

Tut tut, your grammar is terrible.....

Grammatically, the whole sentence hangs together
very nicely; he's even used a passive voice

But what about the preposition at the end of the sentence?

What preposition? "in" is an adverb in this case.

No, it's still a preposition.

Anyway, a
preposition is a perfectly acceptable word to end a sentence with.

I couldn't agree you more with :-)