Old September 12th 04, 09:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Taxi complaint - how do I make one?

The Only Living Boy wrote:
Mike Hughes wrote:

On the subject of tipping, why is it that most Australians *never* give
a tip, even after the driver has gone out of his way to be helpful?

Because it is expected that being helpful is a standard part of the job.
Perhaps the question you should be asking is why the English accept such
poor levels of customer service that they feel obliged to tip when they
receive anything above that.

Absolutely true.

I travel on business fairly regularly. By far the best levels of service
come in countries where there is no tipping culture. Go to New Zealand,
Singapore or the Netherlands (you can tip there but it is not expected)
and you will find everyone polite and helpful. Go to the USA and get the
most annoying and overbearing service on the planet. In London, where
taxi drivers expect a tip, you generally end up with a surly old Nazi
who can't use his indicators and has psychotic tendencies towards
pedestrians. OK, that may be a little unfair, but is an unfortunately
common experience.

It comes down to attitude. Where there is no tipping culture, you tend
to be treated as an equal. Where someone needs a tip to pay the rent, it
really isn't much different to begging.

Old September 12th 04, 10:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Usenet" wrote in message
In message , Mike Hughes
writes
There is no legal requirement for a taxi driver to provide a receipt for a
taxi journey.

Which is strange, as it would make them the only people trading who refuse
to issue a receipt.

Try getting a receipt next time you use the Dartford River Crossing. I had
some jumped up pillock try to tell me that you didn't get a receipt in a
pub. When I pointed out to him he was wrong he threatened to tow me off the
road other such unpleasantness when I continued asking.

Old September 12th 04, 10:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"David FitzGerald" wrote in message
I'm surprised that all of the remarks posted so far have referred to
complaints to the taxi regulators for the less serious of the two
actions described. Assault is a crime, isn't it?

Of course - however it's not like I got a concussion from it. Making the
report to the police, and all the fuss along with it is more trouble than
it's worth.

As an individual incident, you're probably right. But if it goes unreported
then how do we get the standard of service inproved?

Old September 12th 04, 12:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , tim
writes

"Mike Hughes" wrote in message
In message , David FitzGerald
writes
I just got home late from work - got a taxi back. My work will always

refund
me for a taxi receipt - but in this case the driver (Black cab number

86423)
refused to give me a receipt ("I've none left mate") and after me asking

him
to write something on a blank piece of paper, anything - drove off

knocking
my head off his open window (while I was talking to him).

There is no legal requirement for a taxi driver to provide a receipt for
a taxi journey.

Yes there is, a Taxi ride is a Vatable supply and VAT rules require
receipts to be issued.

WRONG A taxi ride is not *usually* a VATable ride as most taxi drivers
are self employed and do not take enough to break the VAT threshold.
Therefore a receipt is not legally required.

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England
Old September 12th 04, 02:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"David FitzGerald" wrote in message
Complaints about either Black ("Hackney") Cabs should be made to

the
Public Carriage Office.

Address: Public Carriage Office
15 Penton Street
LONDON
N1 9PU

Fantastic! About 3 minutes walk from my front door... I think I'll

pop by.

David.

Also amusing to pick up, if you are there, is the booklet about the
routes you have to know to pass the "knowledge of London"

I have an old one. Did I hear the Ken Livingstone changed, i.e.
relaxed, the requirements?

Jeremy Parker

Old September 12th 04, 04:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:20:16 +0100, Mike Hughes
wrote:

WRONG A taxi ride is not *usually* a VATable ride as most taxi drivers
are self employed and do not take enough to break the VAT threshold.
Therefore a receipt is not legally required.

Perhaps. However, is is or is it not good service to offer one in all
circumstances, given that many users are on expenses? A piece of
paper costs next to nothing, while the time taken to write a price on
a receipt is minimal. It could easily be done while the passenger is
sorting out their payment.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To e-mail use neil at the above domain
Old September 12th 04, 07:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Jeremy Parker
writes

Also amusing to pick up, if you are there, is the booklet about the
routes you have to know to pass the "knowledge of London"

I have an old one. Did I hear the Ken Livingstone changed, i.e.
relaxed, the requirements?

The number of 'suggested' routes that have to be learned has been
reduced from 400 to 320 which at first seems like it has been made
easier BUT The new routes now cover all the boroughs and several of the
overlaps in the previous system have been removed. In addition there is
now a requirement to pass a written test which includes a possibility of
any 5 maps from at least 640.

The blue book runs are only a framework. The knowledge student has to
learn far more. In fact because the knowledge examiners can now also be
cab drivers (previously they were not allowed to hold a badge *and* be
an examiner) they now find new 'points' (buildings, clubs, hotels,
restaurants, etc) quicker than the previous half-day out on the road.
This makes it more difficult for the students who must have a fully up
to date knowledge.

Old September 12th 04, 07:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Neil Williams
writes
wrote:

WRONG A taxi ride is not *usually* a VATable ride as most taxi drivers
are self employed and do not take enough to break the VAT threshold.
Therefore a receipt is not legally required.

Perhaps. However, is is or is it not good service to offer one in all
circumstances, given that many users are on expenses?

Most taxi drivers do - I usually do

A piece of
paper costs next to nothing,

Not strictly true, but almost so.
while the time taken to write a price on
a receipt is minimal.

Try writing one out in the middle of the night while you have irate
motorists blasting their horns when you're dropping off in a narrow
road.

It could easily be done while the passenger is
sorting out their payment.

Not if the passenger wants you to give a receipt for the full amount,
including gratuity.

Neil

Old September 12th 04, 10:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Barry Salter" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 10:43:23 +0000 (UTC), "Piccadilly Pilot"
wrote:

Try getting a receipt next time you use the Dartford River Crossing. I had
some jumped up pillock try to tell me that you didn't get a receipt in a
pub. When I pointed out to him he was wrong he threatened to tow me off
the
road other such unpleasantness when I continued asking.

Hrmm...If you use the Dartford Crossing for "business purposes" on even
a semi-regular basis, it may be worth registering for a "DART-Tag",
which gives you a 7.5% Discount on the Cash price (okay...That's only 7p
for a car, but still...) and you get an itemised Statement each month.

A useful tip, but I only used the DRC a couple of times. On other occasions
I managed to avoid it.

Old September 12th 04, 11:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Mike Hughes
writes
In message , tim
writes

"Mike Hughes" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

You can only issue a VAT receipt if you have a VAT number. If the driver
(or their employer) isn't VAT registered and issues a *VAT* receipt then
he or she is breaking the law. No requirement to issue a cash receipt
though.
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this