Old September 26th 04, 09:13 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Councillors crush tube depot plans

"kevin smith" wrote in message
news

Personally I'm interested because I live close to
Chalfont and Latimer tube station and I'm wondering
if I'll be woken up by 66s whizzing
by on their way to the new depot from Aylesbury.

I hate to say this - its not up to YOU to dictate
how much traffic uses a railway line,

He didn't say it was up to him, he just said he was interested. And you
obviously didn't hate saying that, or you wouldn't have bothered saying it,
because nothing he said warranted your hate-filled response.

If they do rebuild this depot and I Hope they do
It will take more lorries off the road

No it won't, unless you mean the road in Ruislip.

NIMBYS Make me sick "!!!!

Good, then you'll know how your top posting makes normal people feel.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old September 26th 04, 09:37 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:13:02 on Sun,
26 Sep 2004, John Rowland
remarked:
If they do rebuild this depot and I Hope they do
It will take more lorries off the road

No it won't, unless you mean the road in Ruislip.

The depot will receive material by canal, and deliver it by train. In
both cases cutting lorries out of the equation.
Old September 26th 04, 10:45 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Phil wrote:
"David Splett" wrote in message
"Robin Mayes" wrote in message
From disused railway land to railway land to be used to help make
improvements on the Metropolitan Line. Next week they're be writing

letter
to the papers saying that something should be done to improve the
same

line!

IMHO there's more to it than that. The site is currently disused;
all it was
ever used for was dumping of waste, mainly from Neasden Power
Station, all
of which came by rail.

The new proposal, if I understand things correctly, is for the site
to be
used for an engineers' depot to take on some of the functions
currently
performed by Ruislip. There is a big difference between a
rail-served ash
tip and a working depot with regular deliveries of materials by road.

Does anyone know exactly what LU and/or the Infracos are planning?
Is this
just a small development to serve North-West London, or a large
depot to
serve the needs of the whole system?

Is this depot being built by Metronet? IIRC TransPlant is owned by
TubeLines. One wonders if it is being built simply to allow Metronet
to have
their own facility and not to have to rely on TubeLines/Transplant.

Although we do have to consider the implications of the dumping of
old fuel

This electricity can be very harmfull as it leaks out of the shoes
into the ground

Is that why rubber soled shoes were invented?

:-)
(for the benefit of anyone who doesn't see the joke)

Old September 26th 04, 11:20 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
.uk...
In message , at 10:13:02 on Sun,
26 Sep 2004, John Rowland
remarked:
If they do rebuild this depot and I Hope they do
It will take more lorries off the road

No it won't, unless you mean the road in Ruislip.

The depot will receive material by canal, and deliver it by train. In
both cases cutting lorries out of the equation.

That's just for the building work, and not all of it. Rails will be
delivered by one train twice a month and offloaded onto another for the work
to be done. You then have around 10 cars a day driving there on local roads
plus a few lorries.
After the site is built the canal unloading equipment will be removed and
the canalbank replanted. Surprisingly they complain about the canal (an
industrial transport link) being used again for work and not pleasure
purposes.
They say the depot will only be there for 15 years but I can see this
becoming permanent.

Nick

Old September 26th 04, 11:57 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:20:08 on Sun, 26
Sep 2004, Nick Pedley remarked:

You then have around 10 cars a day driving there on local roads

Oh dear, what a disaster! Our thoughts are with you.

Old September 26th 04, 10:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 2004-09-25, David Splett wrote:

[...]

The new proposal, if I understand things correctly, is for the site to be
used for an engineers' depot to take on some of the functions currently
performed by Ruislip. There is a big difference between a rail-served ash
tip and a working depot with regular deliveries of materials by road.

Yep. Personally I'm interested because I live close to Chalfont and
Latimer tube station and I'm wondering if I'll be woken up by 66s whizzing
by on their way to the new depot from Aylesbury.

Does anyone know exactly what LU and/or the Infracos are planning? Is
this
just a small development to serve North-West London, or a large depot to
serve the needs of the whole system?

It's all here in detail:

http://www.google.com/search?q=DC+re...Valley+Wood%22

The original PDF of the planning application is no longer there but you
can click "View as HTML" and it's almost as good.

I hate to say this - its not up to YOU to dictate how much traffic uses a
railway line, You chose to live near the line, accept the consequences, same
with people who live near airports , and those who live near motorways.

Really? I did wonder why they'd not telephoned me personally about it!
(not)

If you live near a line you must be prepared for noise at all hours of the
day and night.

You're right, I *do* have to prepare myself if I want a listen these days.
Despite still having single-glazed windows I've zoned out the trains to
an extent that I don't notice them unless I'm listening for them.

My nightly diet of A-stock and tame-sounding Chiltern diesels would be
complemented nicely by the occasional purposeful whoosh of something
more interesting than an empty stock move off the Chesham branch.

If they do rebuild this depot and I Hope they do It will take more lorries
off the road, something everyone wants apparently.

it was there for god knows how long with trains working all hours before it
closed.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment I think you may be ill-informed.

Back on subject, it seems to be a tricky one all round. Any sort of
significant planning application (even for a treehouse) gets fiercely
contested around here so the opposition is not surprising. The
residents may have had an expectation that the land would remain
derelict or be developed for housing so it's no wonder there's
opposition.

NIMBYS Make me sick "!!!!

No, that'll be your prejudice doing that.

Mind if I open a McDonald's next to your house? I consider your views
over-simplistic and unrealistic I'm afraid.

--
Matt Saunders http://www.yoyo.org/matts/contacts/
"This is getting very silly. Too silly."

Old September 27th 04, 08:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
.uk...
In message , at 12:20:08 on Sun, 26
Sep 2004, Nick Pedley remarked:

You then have around 10 cars a day driving there on local roads

Oh dear, what a disaster! Our thoughts are with you.

As I don't live there, it's not directly a problem for me. Any problems for
me will be with tracks falling apart when I want to use the trains that run
on them.
Will 10 *extra* cars a day cause a major headache there?
And why go for a temporary 15year depot when tracks will always need
renewing?

(Yes, I should have said that *extra* in the first post!)

Nick

Old September 29th 04, 02:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Yep. Personally I'm interested because I live close to Chalfont and
Latimer tube station and I'm wondering if I'll be woken up by 66s whizzing
by on their way to the new depot from Aylesbury.

LUL battery locos could take over the train at Amersham if the noise of the 66s
wakes you up!

Paul
Old September 29th 04, 02:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

After the site is built the canal unloading equipment will be removed and
the canalbank replanted. Surprisingly they complain about the canal (an
industrial transport link) being used again for work and not pleasure
purposes.
They say the depot will only be there for 15 years but I can see this
becoming permanent.

If the canal is to be used for just bringing in the materials to build the
depot, then could it be used to bring the track materials in as well to keep
the NIMBY's quiet?

Paul