Old October 9th 04, 10:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default End of London's Trams

Johnson Family wrote:

snipped

P.S. I apologise for the tone of this post - whilst I mean every word
of it, I might have put it slightly more diplomatically were it not
for half a bottle of good wine and an impulse reaction to your posts.

Firstly, one of the good things about the Internet in general and Usenet in
particular is that everyone is as anonymous as they wish to be. None of us
would have known you suffer a disability if you hadn't told us.

Secondly, it is part of the function of newsgroups to pull apart someone
else's performance in any way shape or form; sometimes even to hurl insults.
Do you engage in mutual mickytaking when with friends? It's exactly the same
here, don't take it seriously. Either ignore it or respond in kind.

Best of luck with your studies.

Old October 9th 04, 11:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Piccadilly Pilot" wrote in message
Johnson Family wrote:

snipped

P.S. I apologise for the tone of this post - whilst I mean every word
of it, I might have put it slightly more diplomatically were it not
for half a bottle of good wine and an impulse reaction to your posts.

Firstly, one of the good things about the Internet in general and Usenet
in particular is that everyone is as anonymous as they wish to be. None of
us would have known you suffer a disability if you hadn't told us.

Secondly, it is part of the function of newsgroups to pull apart someone
else's performance in any way shape or form; sometimes even to hurl
insults. Do you engage in mutual mickytaking when with friends? It's
exactly the same here, don't take it seriously. Either ignore it or
respond in kind.

Best of luck with your studies.

You're probably right - I'm a little more sensitive this evening than I
should be. I'm sure I have engaged in such criticismof other people in the
past.

I do however feel that it is unfair to criticise all the student, the
University of York and the UK education merely on the back of my post. Very
few people on here (I assume) have gone through the system in recent years -
far fewer with a disability - so very few know what it is "really" like.

As for not knowing about my disability (I wouldn't say I "suffer" a
disability!) - you are quite right - I just felt that I had to point it out
since there was so much criticism of my spelling and presentation.

Yours,

Robert

P.S. Changing the subject entirely - is anybody listening to Bob Harris? -
I just had a dedication!

Old October 10th 04, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Acrosticus wrote:

Ah! But apparently he's at York, who turned down a mate of mine who'd also put
Oxford on his UCAS form. When my mate rang up to ask the admissions tutor why
he'd been rejected the reply was "I don't think anyone who's put Oxford on
their form would feel happy at York" (he was later accepted by Magdalen, by the
way). I find it hard to frame a more eloquent and anodyne equivalent to York's
admissions tutor's "Look, this place is an academic sink, if you've got half a
brain you wouldn't come near the place" look-alike statement (which is what it
really is when you strip the sophistry away).

It is therefore no surprise that spelling, grammar and syntax are probably
optional at York, even in your final year.

In the past ten years, I've known several Oxbridge applicants who
received offers from both Oxford/Cambridge and York. I believe it's now
the case that the admissions offices don't get to see the other choices
on the UCAS form?

Tom

University of Cambridge (Didn't apply to York)

Old October 10th 04, 03:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

JRS: In article , dated Sat, 9
Oct 2004 13:00:06, seen in news:uk.transport.london, Johnson Family
posted :

Also, if
anybody know's of a spell checker for html documents, please let me know, as
I don't use fancy software to write it - only MS Notepad.

You save the HTML document in Notepad, of course (BTW, there are better
free plain-text editors). Then you can display the HTML document on
your own computer with your browser, I suppose?

So do that, select all the text in the browser display, copy'n'paste
into an application that has a spelling-checker - MS Word would do,
provided that you can see the spelling-error markings - you don't need
to know more about the application than open new document, paste,
scroll, quit. You do the corrections back in Notepad.

Not as convenient as it might be, but probably better than nothing.

Also, if you find that you make some consistent typing errors, a file-
editing tool can be used for bulk correction.

I have a batch file RESPELL.BAT containing

mtr -w -c+ -i:respell.txt *.htm

and RESPELL.TXT containing

fot = for
onr = one
shouls = should
toy = you
thr = the
foind = found
anf = and
ar = at

so by issuing the command RESPELL my whole website root master is
checked for those particular "words", and corrections offered. Offered,
do if I did mean "toy" I'd just press N instead of Y.

mtr.exe is MiniTrue, via below.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.
Old October 10th 04, 09:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

-In message , Tom Cordiner
writes

In the past ten years, I've known several Oxbridge applicants who
received offers from both Oxford/Cambridge and York. I believe it's now
the case that the admissions offices don't get to see the other choices
on the UCAS form?

Certainly that wasn't the case when I applied to uni a couple of years
ago. At Imperial the interviewer did mention that she'd noticed I'd
applied to Oxford and various other places, so obviously their
admissions people were able to see my other choices.
--
Spyke - Who is doing computer science so can get away with spelling errors :-)
Address is valid, but messages are treated as junk. The opinions I express do
Old October 11th 04, 08:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

(Peter Beale) wrote in message . co.uk...
In article ilgate.org,
(Troy Steadman) wrote:

Robert I think you are suffering from a bit of newbie-itis, great idea
but the people you need to talk to don't use the internet

I think you're suffering from a bit of age-ism. I can assure you that
some of us who grew up with the London trams *do* use the internet.
We can even still walk up and down stairs and wash ourselves.

LOL. I have been toying with going through the questionnaire with my
Father-in-law. He has perfect recollection of the pre-war era and
remembers everything there is to know about trams.

The only trouble is, if you ask him about *any* subject which is of
interest to you he remembers cycling at Brooklands, a tomato he had in
1924 which had a bug in it, the roundabout where you used turn left at
London Aerodrome and there is a tank factory just over the road,
eyewitness accounts of the Hartenstein Hotel and looking down the
barrel of a Tiger Tank, every accurate detail you could possibly want
*except* anything about the subject you asked him about, and I'm not
sure Robert's form could do him justice.

Robert, if you are still around, there are dozens of memoires about
trams on the internet, Google the UK web using eg "london trams
recollection[s]" and you can fill out your own forms from the wealth
of local history.

http://www.virtualnorwood.com/localinfo/wnhistory.shtml

....for example.

You *should* point out that you are visually impaired, instead of
being lambasted for bad spelling you are to be congratulated on only a
few typos. I'm sure there must be a way to spell-check HTML, use
Search and Replace perhaps to Replace "*" with ""?

Finally:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,716,00.html

....York is 7th best Uni in the country accoring to the Times, and what
a lovely place to live, The Blue Bell in Fossgate (where until
recently they rang £3 into the till by pushing 5s 0d 12 times) is
where I'd be studying *my* thesis if I was in York right now.

Good luck with it.
Old October 11th 04, 09:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Troy Steadman wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 11 Oct 2004:

...York is 7th best Uni in the country accoring to the Times, and what
a lovely place to live, The Blue Bell in Fossgate (where until
recently they rang £3 into the till by pushing 5s 0d 12 times) is
where I'd be studying *my* thesis if I was in York right now.

My daughter went there to study, and has never left!

And last time we went to visit her, a couple of weeks ago now, we went
to the NRM, and we couldn't get my husband out of it! He stayed until
closing time....
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/