Old October 13th 04, 07:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Dumb traffic lights

"Annabel Smyth" wrote in message
Ah, but even if I thought so, I wouldn't *say* so about my old man now,
would I????

Why not? Constructive criticism is the first step towards improvement.

Old October 13th 04, 07:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Splett wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 13 Oct 2004:

"Annabel Smyth" wrote in message
Ah, but even if I thought so, I wouldn't *say* so about my old man now,
would I????

Why not? Constructive criticism is the first step towards improvement.

I meant, I wouldn't say it on the newsgroup. What I may or may not say
in the privacy of our own car is another matter!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old October 13th 04, 08:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Annabel Smyth wrote:
Nick H (UK) wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 12 Oct 2004:

Annabel Smyth wrote:

The maddening thing is it seems to be just South of the River.

I think this is supermarket queue observation: the other oqueues always
move faster than the one you are in.

Possible, possible - and so does the lane of traffic you're in.....

All the examples I gave in an earlier rant ...err, post are North of the
river. When driving from East London to West Kensington I choose a
South-of-the-river route, and it is mostly fine.

Perhaps you don't have to drive round Clapham Common! Sigh....

Not that often, thank goodness. I remember it being bad getting around
there years back.

--
Nick H (UK)
Old October 13th 04, 09:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Solar Penguin" wrote in message

Ok, you try crossing Westow Hill at that junction
and then tell me the lights there are on red for long
enough! Go on, try it. It's an accident waiting to happen.

Seriously, someone needs to do something about it.
I've switched from shopping at Safeway to Iceland
just so I don't have to cross that road anymore,
even though Iceland is a crap supermarket.

Tell the manager of Safeway. By phone ;-)

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old October 14th 04, 08:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Solar Penguin" wrote in message ...
--- I know I shouldn't feed him, but apparently Boltar, ukl's resident
troll, said:

So you can understand how irritating it is when some muppet
comes along and talks about the lights being on red for even longer.

Ok, you try crossing Westow Hill at that junction and then tell me the
lights there are on red for long enough! Go on, try it. It's an
accident waiting to happen. (And I'd love to see it happen to you!)

You're a little charmer arn't you. You lose an argument and then wish the
person dead. Nice. You've just somewhat cemented the image of anti car
militants that I had in my mind.

And walking *isn't* a form of transport??? Or do only cars count as
transport in your little world?

Funnily enough no. I use the train and tube as much as is reasonable too.
However roads *are* for vehicles , the pavement is for pedestrians (and you
may be amazed to find out that I'm a pedestrian myself far more often than
I am a driver). I don't attempt to drive my car on the pavement so why should
you expect to be able to wander all over the road as and when you please?

If you're fed up with traffic fine , so am I. But don't blame the people who
have to use it for work such as myself , blame the bone idle (usually women)
who can't be arsed to walk little jonny and jemima to school but drive the
1/2 mile instead and also have to drive their Range Rovers or X5s the few
hundred metres to the shops because they're too feeble to carry shopping. THEY
are the ones who cause the congestion , not people using the roads for
business.

B2003

Old October 14th 04, 10:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...
THEY are the ones who cause the congestion , not people using the
roads for business.

So THEY should walk to school so that you can have a faster journey to work?

Still, you've established who causes congestion, and I'm sure if all school
journeys stopped tomorrow then congestion would suddenly disappear. Of
course, this means that any congestion last summer was a figment of my
imagination.

Old October 15th 04, 08:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The School Run (was: Dumb traffic lights)

"David Splett" wrote in message ...
"Boltar" wrote in message
om...
THEY are the ones who cause the congestion , not people using the
roads for business.

So THEY should walk to school so that you can have a faster journey to work?

In a word - yes. I used to have to walk a mile to school when I was a kid
and it kept me fit amongst other things. No reason the little lardbutts of
today can't do it too. Though I suspect if the mothers are my area are
anything to go by its them who're too fat to do anything but walk to the
car.

Still, you've established who causes congestion, and I'm sure if all school
journeys stopped tomorrow then congestion would suddenly disappear. Of
course, this means that any congestion last summer was a figment of my
imagination.

I'm not saying it causes all congestion but isn't it amazing how as soon as
the schools are back at school the morning rush hour traffic doubles.

B2003
Old October 15th 04, 12:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Splett wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 14 Oct 2004:

Still, you've established who causes congestion, and I'm sure if all school
journeys stopped tomorrow then congestion would suddenly disappear. Of
course, this means that any congestion last summer was a figment of my
imagination.

Be fair, there is noticeably less traffic on the roads during school
holidays.

Old October 15th 04, 05:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Annabel Smyth" wrote in message
Be fair, there is noticeably less traffic on the roads during school
holidays.

Of course. I was merely attacking the suggestion that school journeys are
such a big cause of congestion, relative to work-related (and other)
journeys.

For example, I recently drove from Lewes to Eastbourne on a Saturday
morning, and was shocked at the congestion on the A27 at what I had expected
to be a relatively non-busy time. Ditto a recent journey from King's Lynn to
Cambridge on the A10 on a Sunday evening.

Old October 15th 04, 06:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Splett wrote:
"Annabel Smyth" wrote in message
Be fair, there is noticeably less traffic on the roads during school
holidays.

Of course. I was merely attacking the suggestion that school journeys
are such a big cause of congestion, relative to work-related (and
other) journeys.

For example, I recently drove from Lewes to Eastbourne on a Saturday
morning, and was shocked at the congestion on the A27 at what I had
expected to be a relatively non-busy time. Ditto a recent journey
from King's Lynn to Cambridge on the A10 on a Sunday evening.

Saturday morning is people going shopping and away for the weekend. Sunday
evening is everyone going home and is one of the busiest times on the roads.