Old October 15th 04, 07:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Dumb traffic lights

David Splett wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 15 Oct 2004:

For example, I recently drove from Lewes to Eastbourne on a Saturday
morning, and was shocked at the congestion on the A27 at what I had expected
to be a relatively non-busy time. Ditto a recent journey from King's Lynn to
Cambridge on the A10 on a Sunday evening.

Oh well - Sundays! Driving to Alexandra Palace on a Sunday afternoon
was a very different ballgame, and took a bit longer, than that same
journey on a Wednesday evening.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old October 16th 04, 08:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

David Splett wrote:
"Annabel Smyth" wrote in message

Be fair, there is noticeably less traffic on the roads during school
holidays.

Of course. I was merely attacking the suggestion that school journeys are
such a big cause of congestion, relative to work-related (and other)
journeys.

For example, I recently drove from Lewes to Eastbourne on a Saturday
morning, and was shocked at the congestion on the A27 at what I had expected
to be a relatively non-busy time. Ditto a recent journey from King's Lynn to
Cambridge on the A10 on a Sunday evening.

And Sunday is one of the worst days for driving in London

--
Nick H (UK)
Old October 16th 04, 10:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:22:07 +0100, David Splett wrote:
"Annabel Smyth" wrote in message
Be fair, there is noticeably less traffic on the roads during school
holidays.

Of course. I was merely attacking the suggestion that school journeys are
such a big cause of congestion, relative to work-related (and other)
journeys.

For example, I recently drove from Lewes to Eastbourne on a Saturday
morning, and was shocked at the congestion on the A27 at what I had expected
to be a relatively non-busy time. Ditto a recent journey from King's Lynn to
Cambridge on the A10 on a Sunday evening.

the A27 around Chichester is the same on Saturdays

--
Martin Smith
Old October 19th 04, 12:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Annabel Smyth wrote:

thoss wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 11 Oct 2004:

In article , Boltar
writes
Who are the idiots who program traffic lights these days? I tend to
drive quite a lot late at nights when the traffic is quiet and the
amount of times I'm stuck behind a red light for 2 minutes when there is
zero traffic coming in from the other direction (and there was no
traffic even before the light went red). Not only does this waste fuel,
cause extra pollution and waste peoples time but its VERY irritating. A
good example is the lights on Purley Way in Croydon where the A23 runs
through a deserted (at night) retail area and there are about 5 sets of
braindead lights showing green to the feeder roads of large closed
stores. But they're everywhere it seems in London. Is this done on
purpose just to slow traffic

Isn't the real question "what idiot allowed traffic lights to be
installed without the accompanying metal detectors"?

Yes. That's Ken Livingstone's policy.

Are you sure about that? I thought the trafficslowing effects of his
policy were due to a combination of giving pedestrians more time to
cross, using the wrong kind of buses, and sometimes keeping the phases
very short to prevent jams forming at the next set of lights along. Is
there really more to it than that?

The maddening thing is it seems to be just South of the River. Last
night, unusually, we had occasion to drive out of London to the M4 and
beyond. The major hold-ups were at the lights South of the River - once
we crossed Chelsea Bridge our journey (via South Kensington, reaching
the A4 at Gloucester Road) was very quick indeed, and we arrived at our
destination a good 30 minutes earlier than we thought.

I think that's mainly to do with the positions and capacity of the
bridges - IIRC Chelsea Bridge usually produces long tailbacks in both
directions.

What does Ken Livingstone have against South Londoners?

Am I right in thinking the mayor's completely lost popular support?
Old October 19th 04, 06:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Aidan Stanger wrote:

Am I right in thinking the mayor's completely lost popular support?

No.

I know this because a few months ago, we had one of those 'election'
things, where people got to say who they supported, and more people
supported him than anyone else. See:

http://www.londonelects.org.uk/results/mayor/index.html

HTH.

tom

--
Tech - No Babble

Old October 19th 04, 08:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote in
:

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Aidan Stanger wrote:

Am I right in thinking the mayor's completely lost popular support?

No.

I know this because a few months ago, we had one of those 'election'
things, where people got to say who they supported, and more people
supported him than anyone else. See:

http://www.londonelects.org.uk/results/mayor/index.html

HTH.

tom

Which shows that 86.8% of the electorate didn't vote for Ken as first
choice. Most, is fact, didn't vote atall.

Old October 20th 04, 12:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

David Jackman wrote:
Tom Anderson wrote in
:

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Aidan Stanger wrote:

Am I right in thinking the mayor's completely lost popular support?

No.

I know this because a few months ago, we had one of those 'election'
things, where people got to say who they supported, and more people
supported him than anyone else. See:

http://www.londonelects.org.uk/results/mayor/index.html

HTH.

tom

Which shows that 86.8% of the electorate didn't vote for Ken as first
choice. Most, is fact, didn't vote atall.

You may be able to infer that they didn't vote for Ken, but because they
didn't vote at all, neither can you infer that they didn't support him.
However, you might say that since they didn't vote, their opinion can't
be very important.

All the more reason for compulsary voting during a newly-created midweek
bank holiday, with a "None of the above" option added to ballot papers.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old October 21st 04, 03:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, David Jackman wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote in
:

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Aidan Stanger wrote:

Am I right in thinking the mayor's completely lost popular support?

No.

I know this because a few months ago, we had one of those 'election'
things, where people got to say who they supported, and more people
supported him than anyone else. See:

http://www.londonelects.org.uk/results/mayor/index.html

Which shows that 86.8% of the electorate didn't vote for Ken as first
choice. Most, is fact, didn't vote atall.

Sigh. I didn't see _that_ response coming _at all_.

More people voted for Ken than for any other candidate. Are you suggesting
there is anyone else with more popular support?

--
Gens una summus.

Old October 21st 04, 10:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote in
:

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, David Jackman wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote in
:

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Aidan Stanger wrote:

Am I right in thinking the mayor's completely lost popular support?

No.

I know this because a few months ago, we had one of those 'election'
things, where people got to say who they supported, and more people
supported him than anyone else. See:

http://www.londonelects.org.uk/results/mayor/index.html

Which shows that 86.8% of the electorate didn't vote for Ken as first
choice. Most, is fact, didn't vote atall.

Sigh. I didn't see _that_ response coming _at all_.

More people voted for Ken than for any other candidate. Are you
suggesting there is anyone else with more popular support?

I'm not sure which is more remarkable:

a) that less than 15% of the electorate could actually be bothered to go
and vote for Ken, whom I thought had popular support (but now I'm not so
sure) or

b) that more than half a million voted for Steve Norris, who I don't think
even most Tories would claim has popular support....

Old October 22nd 04, 09:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , David Splett
writes
Be fair, there is noticeably less traffic on the roads during school
holidays.

Of course. I was merely attacking the suggestion that school journeys are
such a big cause of congestion, relative to work-related (and other)
journeys.

Actually, you could be surprised; This is a regular topic on
cam.transport. There is a specific road in Cambridge which has three
independent schools on it. The levels of congestion are noticeably
different between term time and holidays.

The actual number of car journeys that consist only of the "school run"
are not that large compared with the other work-related journeys.
However, the belief is that the combination of this small extra number,
combines with the fact that people who both drop off their child and
going to work will be more spread out in the holidays (having more
choice of arrival time) - the result is to push the road over the
threshold between "within capacity" and "overloaded".

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: