Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 14th 04, 07:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default A Moorgate to London Bridge Tunnel (Old chestnut)

John Rowland wrote:
"Mark Brader" wrote in message
Benjamin Nunn:
I thought the W&C tunnels were big enough to take regular stock...

John Rowland:
No, in fact they had to be enlarged slightly to take the 92 stock.

CULG gives the Waterloo & City Line tunnel diameter as 3.70 m
(12' 1.75"), which if I remember correctly was taken from Rails
Through the Clay. This is *larger* than the nominal 11' 8.25"
of the Central Line, so what had to be enlarged?

The metal ribs (I don't know the correct name) on the inside of the
rings had to be trimmed on some of the curves. This may be more to do
with the length of the 92 stock than their width, or it may be to do
with their kinematic envelope differing from that of the previous
stock. Perhaps the Central Line already used larger rings on some or
all of the curves.

The degree of curvature is also relevant, i.e. the tighter the curve the
further the car overhangs the track. IIRC some of the track had to be
realigned to take the 92 stock.

Cannon Street / Moorgate tunnel? Abigail Brady London Transport 28 October 14th 07 11:34 PM
A 15-year-old, a bridge, a rope, and a can of spray paint Mark Brader London Transport 1 March 5th 07 10:44 AM
New DLR station, and old Thames Tunnel John Rowland London Transport 7 December 1st 06 07:08 PM
Old bridge over Brick Lane Martin J London Transport 3 April 25th 05 02:13 PM
Trains to Moorgate now go via Liverpool Street John London Transport 3 November 24th 03 01:30 PM